Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Missing bookmarks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Installed Firefox 1.5 last night, rebooted, opened the browser, everything was fine. Came online this afternoon and my tabs and bookmarks are gone, nowhere to be seen.

How, if at all can i get them back. Unfortunatly i never got round to backing them up which serves me right i really should have!

So yeah ...

ETA:

For the last few versions of firefox that i have installed i have found that whilst it is loading, and also just at random intervals the browser hangs or crashes, the icon in the top left will go white with the blue line along the top and eventually it will come back to life. I had thought that this new version would maybe not be the same but it is and it is very annoying.

I have checked all the plug ins and themes and extensions, got rid of almost all of them but even that hasnt had an effect. In my mind if it is not any extensions or plug ins or even themes then it is the browser itself having some difficulty.

Would anyone know what the problem could be, or how to resolve it, and has it ever happened to you?

Comments

• Options
    What version of windows are you using? I had the same issue but managed to resolve it.
  • Options
    I'm using windows XP SP2
  • Options
    Browse to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

If there is more than one folder there, search for "bookmarks.html"

Open the results till you find the one that has your bookmarks in, and then import that back into firefox by going to File>Import within the bookmark manager.

Gimme a shout if you need a hand.
  • Options
    Cheers for that Got to pop out so i'll give it a try when i get back.
  • Options
    I'm here for another hour ish... if not I'm back at 3pm GMT tomorrow so leave me a message if you need any help :)
  • Options
    Hm. Found the bookmarks.html, imported it but it isnt my bookmarks. It's just the typical ones already in the browser.

Think i can forget about all those links!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I had this. See here, the solution lurks within! wooo!
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=90186
  • Options
    Ah, Bookmark Backup eh... i'll give that a shot. In the meantime i'm giving up on my old bookmarks, i'll no doubt stumple upon them again in the future