Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Floppy Disk Troubles

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
And for those of you who read the title wrong... no. I do not have trouble in that department. (Or am I the only one with that sick a mind?)

Anyway, the twat bastard of a drive says "Disk in A not formatted generic Error." Any idea how to fix the bastard? Worked not long ago. ;/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe a fumped drive? It happens.

USB pen for the win :)
    Alternatively, 6 quid will get you a can of compressed air, which you can use to really blow all the shit out of the drive. Alternatively, there's the careful screwdriver, cotton bud and vacuum cleaner combo... or a new fdd which cost about 5 quid from scan.co.uk
    xould you have corrupted it?

thats what mine was doing with last years end of year project on it because id had it in my bag and my mobile had corrupted it

it did get sorted tho but i dunno how, it services did it for me
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Mel-H wrote:
    xould you have corrupted it?

It says it even when there is no disk in the drive. :p

Okies, i'll clean the bastard a bit. I don't want to lose this one if possible, as I changed the LED on it, and soldering it again isn't fun.
    Did standard green/yellow just not do it for you?

Hehhe
    No :p Just not enough!

It works kidof... if you let it boot up with a disc in it, it will read that one disk... change it.. no. Let it boot with nothing.. no.

Or in otherwords, another one to throw out the window. At leat I know where I can get a few more floppies from.. heheh. :chin:
    hmm not actually used my floppy drive for about 8 months now
    MrG wrote:
    hmm not actually used my floppy drive for about 8 months now

Well, I have been using them because I can put them up to a WHOLE 1.66 mb now. Woot.
    usb stick, £10, lots of megs
    umm maybe you plugged the ide cable in the wrong way round?

I didnt think it was this but i did have the anomoly of it detecting a floppy if I booted up with one (even though it wouldnt load it!)

Is the light on the floppy drive always on? if so then this is your cuase otherwise just buy a new fdd *nods*