Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Body Dismorphic Disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everybody,

I just want to have a few opinions from you all :)

I've also got an extremely low self esteem. I'm constantly looking in the mirror.. but not in a vain way, but just to check to see if I haven't got any worse. I think I'm really ugly, fat, and I shouldn't have such a nice boyfriend. He tells me I'm gorgeous/sexy/beautiful, but I think he's just saying that to sort of shut me up. I feel like a reject in my family - they are all really pretty and handsome and I get really jealous. I'm especially jealous of people in my school, even my best friend. So some days I just don't want to leave the house and just lie in bed, but I force myself to go places. I think people will laugh at me, and if I'm walking down the street or in school and people laugh, I think it's about me and I want to cry.

I also have Trichotillomania, a hair pulling disorder, which I've had for 5 years. So I'm always checking to see my hair is okay.

Anyway, I found something called BDD, and looked it up on the internet, which said,
BDD can lead or take after other psychiatric problems as well. Depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, eating disorders, anxiety issues, agoraphobia, and trichotillomania (hair pulling) are all problems that commonly follow or trigger BDD.
This made me think. I've realised I'm a lot worse than girls in my school who don't believe they are pretty, but would you think I have BDD? I'm really worried :(

Thank you for people who read and help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's possible...

I say, book and appointment with your GP and have a chat with them about your concerns. If you don't want to talk specifically about it, you could print off some information about BDD and say you feel you may have it. Your GP would be able to help far more than any of us I guess.

Ilora x
    Yeah, go see the Doc about it. As Ilora said, print the info out and show him. He'd obviously know more about that kinda thing than a bunch of randoms on the internet :p
    I've also got an extremely low self esteem. I think I'm really ugly

I do think you're talking cack here. Because you do think you're fit, otherwise you wouldn't have your photo up on by your username, and the photos you put on the photo thread in the Introduce Yourself forum.
    I also have Trichotillomania, a hair pulling disorder, which I've had for 5 years. So I'm always checking to see my hair is okay.

Well, that should be dealt with your GP. As should all the other stuff. We don't have all the necessary qualifications to tell you what's what.
    1983 wrote:
    I do think you're talking cack here. Because you do think you're fit, otherwise you wouldn't have your photo up on by your username, and the photos you put on the photo thread in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Well, that should be dealt with your GP. As should all the other stuff. We don't have all the necessary qualifications to tell you what's what.

Well I think that's a bit harsh.. my friend made the logo and I didn't want to be rude.. and I don't even know why I posted that picture. If I loved myself I wouldn't be posting this, I'm not looking for attention. I guess I should change my logo thingy..

Also, I asked for an opinion, not to be told what I've got. I asked for help, and anyway, I know I have trichotillomania, so you never needed to tell me if I had it or not. But thank you anyway.
    Just becaues somebody sticks their photo up or has it as their icon doesn't mean they still can't have low self esteem about their looks. Its an internet message board, having your photo makes it more personal, or showing your face makes it just a little more than words on a screen.

Watch, I really have no idea or any clue on this so I'm sorry I couldn't be of help. The best I can do is as others have said, and go see a therapist or your dr. I would suggest the therapist/psych over a GP though as they would have more knowledge and experience with it. Good Luck.
    Well I think that's a bit harsh..

Sorry, but I'm being honest.
    If I loved myself I wouldn't be posting this, I'm not looking for attention. I guess I should change my logo thingy..

Don't change it on my account, only going by what I see. You don't need to absolutely love yourself to show pictures etc, I don't absolutely love myself like omg if I was a dude I'd fuck myself kind of love, but I don't think I'm hideous. Difference.

I think you really think you're ok. But I think you're just needing to be reassured, which is what I'd do if I were in your situation. I also think that you do need to clarify everything you told us with a GP. As I said before, we don't have the qualifications or resources to tell you yay or nay.
    Also, I asked for an opinion

Yeah I told you to go to your GP like everyone else said.
    not to be told what I've got. I asked for help, and anyway, I know I have trichotillomania, so you never needed to tell me if I had it or not.

I didn't say you didn't know you had trichotillomania, I just said if you go to your GP they might be able to help you with that as well.
    my_name wrote:
    Just becaues somebody sticks their photo up or has it as their icon doesn't mean they still can't have low self esteem about their looks. Its an internet message board, having your photo makes it more personal, or showing your face makes it just a little more than words on a screen.

True dat, and I said so huuurr.
    You don't need to absolutely love yourself to show pictures etc

:D
    Okay, yeah, I'm sorry I sounded a bit nasty, but saying I was "talking cack" didn't give me a first good impression and I've had a bad day.

But thank you, I just wanted to know what other people thought before I went telling my mum and going to a gp. I tried before with my trich and they laughed and me... so that's kind of put me off. And yes, I just wanted some reassurance, hence the posting this :)

Thank you, and sorry for being a bit.. rude or whatever, I hope you don't hate me or anything =(
    1983 wrote:

I agree, Bex.
    my_name wrote:
    Watch, I really have no idea or any clue on this so I'm sorry I couldn't be of help. The best I can do is as others have said, and go see a therapist or your dr. I would suggest the therapist/psych over a GP though as they would have more knowledge and experience with it. Good Luck.

You were help, don't you worry :) It reminded me that I used to have a therapist and she helped a lot.. I might just call her!
    Okay, yeah, I'm sorry I sounded a bit nasty, but saying I was "talking cack" didn't give me a first good impression and I've had a bad day.

'Tis alreet. I'm just overly blunt sometimes. Sorry flower.
    I think I've had BDD for a couple of years now (due to on/off bullying, and some increasingly bitchy girls).. I get periods where I feel considerably bad about myself, but I'm doing okay at the moment. Never had it diagnosed - same with my depression.
    hm, why don't you believe your boyfriend when he tells you what he means?
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it doesn't matter what other people think
    I mean this in the nicest possible way, but surely you can't diagnose yourself with BDD? I mean, to say you think you have it is to say you think you think you're uglier than you actually are? Which is kind of like admitting that you know you really aren't that ugly?
    :wave: and welcome back to lisa simpsons saxaphone
    The photo is only of her face. She could find her face ok but the rest of her body ugly.
    I think I'm really ugly, fat, and I shouldn't have such a nice boyfriend. He tells me I'm gorgeous/sexy/beautiful, but I think he's just saying that to sort of shut me up. I feel like a reject in my family - they are all really pretty and handsome and I get really jealous. I'm especially jealous of people in my school, even my best friend. So some days I just don't want to leave the house and just lie in bed, but I force myself to go places. I think people will laugh at me, and if I'm walking down the street or in school and people laugh, I think it's about me and I want to cry.

Go see a counsellor.
    well i think you look really beautiful in your avatar, stunning.
    Not that it helps when youve got low confidence, cos I know that sometimes even when you kinda know that really you look ok, low self confidence can really still eat away at you. The older you get the more you realise that it doesnt actually matter if you dont always look your best and that people dont actually care that much one way or another what you look like (not once youve left school anyway) and certainly even if you were ugly noone would laugh because tbh, MOST people arent that good looking (just look around you in the street). Most people are either plain or mingers, its just you dont notice it, you only notice the ones you think are attractive.
    It really doesnt matter, and even if it did and looks were the only thing that mattered, then youd still be ok cos you are very attractive (and I say that as a non-lesbian) but in the real world, how attractive you appear to people is based on a lot more than what you actually physically look like. Its about personality shining through, and character and niceness etc.
    youve just got to 1. Believe people when they say you are nice looking, and 2. Not really care anyway, cos (hard as it may be to accept) it doesnt actually matter that much. Looking good is just a bonus, its not the be all and end all of life.
    It really doesnt matter, and even if it did and looks were the only thing that mattered, then youd still be ok cos you are very attractive (and I say that as a non-lesbian) but in the real world, how attractive you appear to people is based on a lot more than what you actually physically look like. Its about personality shining through, and character and niceness etc.
    youve just got to 1. Believe people when they say you are nice looking, and 2. Not really care anyway, cos (hard as it may be to accept) it doesnt actually matter that much. Looking good is just a bonus, its not the be all and end all of life.

totally agree :)
    otter wrote:
    :wave: and welcome back to lisa simpsons saxaphone

:wave: thanks!