Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BEST live gig

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never heard of 'em.
    Sikorah wrote:
    Anybody seen QOTSA live, any good?

Yeah, supporting AC/DC at Milton Keynes.

Not bad. Sound wasn't right good, but support band's sound rarely is.
    Sikorah wrote:
    Anybody seen QOTSA live, any good?

They're fucking amazing live. The line-up constantly changes, if you look at all the albums theres never any 2 line-ups the same, but either way they have some top musicians.

I saw them in June 2003 on the Songs For The Deaf tour, and August this year for the Lullabies to Paralyze tour. Both times at Brixton Academy, and both times the set has been around 2 hours long with 20+ songs in each set.

Bought the new Live DVD/CD today, good so far. They're earlier stuff i've always thought has been better, but the band's evolved a lot over the past couple of years. Still by far my favourite band though.
    Wyetry wrote:
    the paddingtons

These guys are even worse live than they are on record. 1234, three chord trick, repeat for entire set. Not as bad as The Others though.
    Have Hard-Fi tomorrow...should be fun.

Then Oasis, Foo Fighters, Razorlight and The Coral a week Saturday. :yes:

I may be going to see the Paddingtons at the start of January. They are going to be playing Exeter Cavern and I can go for free.
    Renzo wrote:
    Have Hard-Fi tomorrow...should be fun.

I may be going to see the Paddingtons at the start of January. They are going to be playing Exeter Cavern and I can go for free.

You see too many cool bands :grump:
    You see too many cool bands :grump:

It makes me poor though. :(
    Wyetry wrote:
    The prodigy at brixton accademy in December 1995 - possibly the best gig of my life - I wanted to go this saturday but tickets on ebay are going to for stupid money.

The levellers are wicked live - it was the first big gig i was ever allowed to go to with out a responsible adult present (I was about 15 ) and i got to go with all my friends which was really cool - though we missed the last train home and my dad had to drive all the way up to the centre of london to take us home because he didnt' belive in night busses - OMG i can't belive it was 13 years ago.

Best bands i've seen recently are GLC who were wicked and the paddingtons who i saw on monday.
    I wasnt particularly impressed with Prodigy at V this year, although GLC were in fact fantastic, I should have put that in fave gigs. They were BRILLIANT.
    Levellers were also brilliant
    dillinger

Dear Lord no!

They are the worst band I have ever had the misfortune to see. Even worse than Kasabian or Asian Dub Foundation, who were both pretty dire.
    Renzo wrote:

me too :) tickets FINALLY arrived today.. can't wait!
    Kermit wrote:
    Dear Lord no!

They are the worst band I have ever had the misfortune to see. Even worse than Kasabian or Asian Dub Foundation, who were both pretty dire.
    its not a band, its a fucking excellent Reggae singer who i saw earlier this year with the Abyssinians, in a cool old skool reggae evening.
    Are we talking about the same thing.

Probably not.

I saw a really shit nu-punk band at Leeds called Dillinger.
    Kermit you might be thinking of Dillinger Escape Plan.

There's also a drum and bass outfit called Dillinja. Confusing.
    its not a band, its a fucking excellent Reggae singer who i saw earlier this year with the Abyssinians, in a cool old skool reggae evening.

"a knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
    that's the way you spell New York" :D
    Kermit wrote:
    Dear Lord no!

if youre thinking of the dillinger escape plan then you obviouslly haven't listened for long enough ... some people are put off by the wall of noise but after a few listens it's v good. They have tons of talent compared to most.
    Kermit you might be thinking of Dillinger Escape Plan.

Yes, I think I am.

I wasn't put off by a "wall of sound", I was put off by the fact they are wank.
    They are pretty guff. All this emo/post-hardcore whatever it's called. To me it's just shit.

I think, as well as Dillinja and Dillinger Escape Plan, there is another band called Dillinjer but they play some other type of stuff.
    Emo?

heh.
    They are pretty guff.

That's being a bit kind.

They are officially the worst band I've ever heard. And when they have competition from the likes of Kasabian in the crapness stakes, that's quite an achievement.
    Kermit wrote:
    That's being a bit kind.

They are officially the worst band I've ever heard. And when they have competition from the likes of Kasabian in the crapness stakes, that's quite an achievement.

OK then, eac to his own i guess ... you write a song with the riffs and varied timings they do, and make it actually work (yes it does work, thats why they have fans), THEN you can wall them wank...

You like franz ferdinand eh? well i wont ask you to write some of the riffs they have cos u could probably do it with ure eyes closed and ure arms chopped off.. stuff like that gets old very fast cos theres so little in it. I saw the first song of theirs at reading and they were pretty awful, but maybe that was when they were newer as a band and hadnt learnt to play their instruments properly like the editing in the recording studio did for them. :wave: :wave:
    muse- wrote:
    OK then, eac to his own i guess ... you write a song with the riffs and varied timings they do, and make it actually work (yes it does work, thats why they have fans), THEN you can wall them wank...

You like franz ferdinand eh? well i wont ask you to write some of the riffs they have cos u could probably do it with ure eyes closed and ure arms chopped off.. stuff like that gets old very fast cos theres so little in it. I saw the first song of theirs at reading and they were pretty awful, but maybe that was when they were newer as a band and hadnt learnt to play their instruments properly like the editing in the recording studio did for them. :wave: :wave:

I saw Franz Ferdinand live over a year ago and they were amazing for your information.

Noone is going to agree on music though. If you dont like music you wont like it live. For example i would have Emo or heavy rock live.
    muse- wrote:

I can play a guitar badly. I should join their band.

I just love the irony of a Muse fan attacking the simplicity of others' music.

FF is great indie-pop.
    muse- wrote:

As a fan of Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, I scoff at this.

At least the chaps in Franz Ferdinand can sing instead of just making shouty noise.

Each to his own I guess......you write a song that stay in my head as long as "Take Me Out" (and I'm really not a fan of Franz Fredinanded of that type of music at all) THEN you can call them wank........
    532339.jpg
    97138-music-resized200.JPG
    killermanjaro.jpg
    Steps :yes: Well it was amazing 7 years ago!!

Other than that, Evanescence, they were cool live.

I want to see Robbie Williams though :hyper:
    muse- wrote:
    u could probably do it with ure eyes closed and ure arms chopped off.. stuff like that gets old very fast cos theres so little in it.

Bit like Muse really...

Seriously, every single Muse riff was written about 20 years ago. They are a very derivative band.

FF, as Kermit says, is good indie-pop. I don't really like it but I can see where it gets its appeal from. Muse are just plain bollocks.
    Kermit wrote:
    I can play a guitar badly. I should join their band.

I just love the irony of a Muse fan attacking the simplicity of others' music.

FF is great indie-pop.

i highly doubt you could play even one of their riffs. Franz ferdinand u could probs do though, simplicity works but its pretty boring imo.
    Bit like Muse really...

Seriously, every single Muse riff was written about 20 years ago. They are a very derivative band.

FF, as Kermit says, is good indie-pop. I don't really like it but I can see where it gets its appeal from. Muse are just plain bollocks.

They have the odd riff which has been derived from classical songs, but a lot of bands are influenced by people who inspired them.

also just say if u need a hand getting ure head out of kermits arse.

Yeah ..renzo is right though there is no point arguing as it;s jsut opinion, it just annoys me when people say a band are 'wank' when it is just an opinion.

and yes dream theater are more talented (myung :love: ), but dillinger are definately up there, where as franz ferdinand come somewhere at the bottom of the scale. Maybe they are talented but choose not to use it... my opinion is biased as im really not into the franz ferdinand/busted/mcfly or whatever type of stuff - still ..they are good at what they do.

PS @ infinite ...i never called them wank, also the dillinger escape plan vocalist can sing, you just havent heard enough of their songs (though his normal style fits with the music).
    turlough wrote:
    Prodigy probably.

Awww, did you go to see them :(

Well I love Scissor Sisters and think they do a fab performance. Love them loads :heart:
    muse- wrote:
    also just say if u need a hand getting ure head out of kermits arse.

My head is not up Kermit's arse - it's just that he very regularly speaks the truth.
    Anti-Flag or the Casualties.
    Real music with real people and no bouncy stupid girls that go for the soul purpose that they think they are going to get laid by the sexy drummer or some shit. That has ruined many a concert experiences. That is why I no longer go to shows.