Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

laptop help please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any laptop recommedations for me? I would like a light weight one with good battery power. I don't want a mac or dell. I have been looking into a vaio tx or acer travelmate. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    what's your budget - sony do great light laptops but they're very expensive

HP did a nice one too

HP Compaq Business Notebook nc4010 at 1.6kg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/29/hp_nc4010/
  • Options
    If your looking for a good cheap one you could always try Ebay
  • Options
    laptop

I am buying together with my partner so a budget of up to 1500. The vx caught my eye because it looks neat and has a lot of battery life.

I am a bit wary of spending a large amount on ebay (probably old fashioned :blush: ).
  • Options
    i have a vaio - a417m its not that light its massive and gives me backache if i do try to go on it while im sitting on the sofa or ma bed..
    but other then that its really good to watch dvd's on and i quite like it ;)
  • Options
    poochi wrote:
    Does anyone have any laptop recommedations for me? I would like a light weight one with good battery power. I don't want a mac or dell. I have been looking into a vaio tx or acer travelmate. Thanks

The Vaio TX is pretty much built to be lightweight and with good battery life. It also weighs in at about your price range, for the basic model. Not sure about the Travelmate.
  • Options
    Is the best place to buy one direct from sony? do you think it is a reasonable price for such a laptop?
  • Options
    I have an acer travelmate and its great. Ok, it doesn't look amazingly stylish (a lot of laptops nowadays are silver and shiny etc) but mine hasn't given me any problems and I've had it a year now at uni so use it a lot and use the wireless internet from it loads. The battery life is fairly good as well. It was not a bad price either at £599.
  • Options
    Yep I have an Acer Travelmate too, it hasn't given me any problems. My dad also has one and his has been fine. I think they are pretty good value for money. The wireless internet is very good.
  • Options
    poochi wrote:
    Is the best place to buy one direct from sony? do you think it is a reasonable price for such a laptop?

You can get the basic model for about £150 less at other online stores (or about £200 less for the charcoal black one. As for whether it's a reasonable price, it really does depend on what you're using it for. I'd say the battery life (over 11 hours with the extension pack) and the portability (it weighs under 3lb) are its selling points and if, say, you do a lot of travelling, I reckon it's worth the money.
  • Options
    I bought a samsung X20 for a customer earlier this week. I have to say it's awesome. 6hrs battery life & it can play DVD's without loading an OS, It's fast, lightweight, has wireless built-in, very sleek and well built looking.
  • Options
    ta

thanks everyone for all your advice ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah they're silver and shiney and lovely :D

the touchpad on the X20 was cack though :(