Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Frank does it again

I cant find a link for it, but it was in the Metro yesterday, Frank is doing a campaign based around drug myths (perhaps they could say again that meth is legal and makes you see vivid colours).

But the ones they have chosen are bonkers. Anyone else see it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no but i'll look for it if i can get a copy. Why on earth would they do this?

While they're at it, how about that old chesnut (and paraphrasiing from memory);

'Some users take Ecstasy with LSD (a combination called 'Candyflipping') because the euphoric effects can lessen the probability of a bad trip'

:D
    Their coverage of Yabba and meth was possibly the worst of the lot, they managed to get virtually everything wrong and threw in a few nasty homophobic insinuations as well.

It has sort of improved, except their jackpot one arm bandit thing.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Yes I did, oddly enough, as it is the first time I have picked up a copy of Metro in about 6 months. They struck me as a bit odd too...
    One of them was 'drugs are pure if your mate says so' - which no one believes, so to say its a myth is strange.

There was one which was something like 'cannabis makes you breath better' as well.

The whole thing is all odd because there are many myths you could use to lead into advice, LSD crystals in the brain, rat poison in pills...etc.
    Yes, they certainly weren't the most popular misconceptions about drugs, but if you are still working from a premise that you have a duty to protect people from themselves, then the popular myths - weed adulterated with acid/coke/speed, e makes holes in your brain, if you smoke weed more than 50 times you get schizophrenia etc - do scare people until their experience tells them otherwise, and are in your best interests. IMO.
    Exactly, you could say myth - e causes holes in the brain - but... it can cause depression, has unknown long term effects on the brains ability to produce seritonin etc.
    I think the actual risks are quite enough in their own right without having to hype them up or fabricate them to scare people off taking drugs. As you have said before, authorities are just shooting themselves in the foot. When a person realises that lots of their mates have had E and survived, there is a good chance they won't believe anything they have been told about the risks of taking drugs, and put themselves in greater danger than is necessary.
    Exactly, which was the beauty of the Just Say No campaign, it actually taught kids nothing about drugs, lumped them together as one nasty group and was really quickly dismissed by anyone who had first hand experience.

Even cannabis, seen by many (too many) as harmless, does have quite a few potential down sides which education messages could put across, especially to younger users.