Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Naturists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's an interesting Documentar on BBC1 following a group of Naturists doing a 500 mile walk across Britain.

Many members of the public feel perfectly intheir rights to shout abuse at them and hit them with their canes, umbrellas, etc as they walk by, or refuse to serve them in pubs, supermarkets, etc

It's quite shcking at how some people have reacted, some are nice and some are really mean to them .. what do you think of their right to be naked where they want and when they want?

... I'm still making my mind up.. :blush:

Comments

• Options
    I'd love to say yea, let them run free and let it all hang out but I wouldn't want my kid or little sister to come face to face with some old todger's...todger.

In America they have camps and the like for them to roam about it. "With their own kind" so to speak. U.K weather is a bit crap for getting yer bits out at the best of times. :chin:

I remember watching a documentary about it years ago, some girl came form a naturist family and she was deciding whether it was right for her or not. She indicated that there have to be ground rules applied, stuff to do with potential pedophiles and the like, youngsters being taken advantage of. There's a darker side to being a naturist that alot of people could overlook, the one I watched was a real eye opener.

I don't think they should have to take the abuse they're being given, just because they're naked...that's just silly, like they're less of a human being all of a sudden?
  • Options
    I don't think people should be so mean to them, I mean it's their choice to be naked, so let them make it. I mean, sure seeing a huge group of naturists might freak me out, but I wouldn't hurt any of them. Geez, the people could just shut their eyes or something. It's the most natural thing in the world.
  • Options
    . She indicated that there have to be ground rules applied, stuff to do with potential pedophiles and the like, youngsters being taken advantage of. There's a darker side to being a naturist that alot of people could overlook, the one I watched was a real eye opener.
    you think there is more chance of naturists being paedophiles than people who like to wear clothes?
  • Options
    Many members of the public feel perfectly intheir rights to shout abuse at them and hit them with their canes, umbrellas, etc as they walk by, or refuse to serve them in pubs, supermarkets, etc

If i owned a pub they'd get booted out soon as the walked through the door. Skantily dressed women on a saturday night = a lot of naked guys sporting hard ons. Not pleasant.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't think people should be so mean to them, I mean it's their choice to be naked, so let them make it. I mean, sure seeing a huge group of naturists might freak me out, but I wouldn't hurt any of them. Geez, the people could just shut their eyes or something. It's the most natural thing in the world.

Exactally the point. Why are we so shocked by it here? I don't understand, in other countries alot of people jsut wouldn't be bothered.
  • Options
    fucking weirdos.
    just watched it.
    theres plenty of places in the uk as well.
    if they came in a shop or pub round here i think they'd probably get a kicking of the local yobs.

or the police.

yeah yeah whats more natural than the naked body ...were not fucking apes.
    we have centuries of inhibitions that aint going to disapear overnight.
    would you be ok about them being in the kids park?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Exactally the point. Why are we so shocked by it here? I don't understand, in other countries alot of people jsut wouldn't be bothered.
    which countries is it normal to sit on the bus or go shopping starkers?
  • Options
    The woman was the sanest of the lot. Then there was that nutter who was writing down everything the ringleader said. It's too cold for all this naked lark, and I can't say I have much sympathy with them - their argument was hardly compelling.

The funniest bit of the programme was when the poor cameraman got beaten up.
  • Options
    Naturism just isn't natural. If God had intended us to walk around naked, we'd have been born that way.
  • Options
    Naturism just isn't natural. If God had intended us to walk around naked, we'd have been born that way.
    What, walking?
  • Options
    :p
    but then he put brambles and nettles in the way ...knowing he had given us the brains and common sense to get dressed!
  • Options
    by the way ...for those who don't know ...this was a prgramme about people who wish to walk around towns and cities and go to the bar etc starkers. not about naturists in clubs/private.
  • Options
    I'd walk around naked if it were legal.

The whole not being allowed to wear clothes is a form of oppression, doubly so with the female body.

Aren't people able to look at a naked body and see something other than a sex object?

A penis is a penis... Tits are tits, big deal.
  • Options
    Tits are tits, big deal.
    Mmmm, tits...

:p
  • Options
    A penis is a penis... Tits are tits, big deal.

Unless you are 5, then it is higly amusing!

Unless of course you are brought up in a society where it is accepted. Of course, clothes are needed in winter. But why, in warmer times, can we not be naked and comfortable with ourselves and each other?

Seems illogical. Except possibly in a war zone, with body armour and cammo.
  • Options
    What about this.

In summer time you'll often see a man walking around with no top on and no one really thinks it's a big deal, espacially if he's working out in the sun .. so by the same token shouldn't it be at least equally acceptable for a woman to walk around in summer without a top?
  • Options
    I don't think it's a case of what's acceptable, it's more to do with the possible reaction - I'd say it's generally accepted that most women wouldn't get as excited at a man's bare chest as most fellas would if a woman decided to walk around with her sin cushions flapping in the breeze.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a case of what's acceptable, it's more to do with the possible reaction - I'd say it's generally accepted that most women wouldn't get as excited at a man's bare chest as most fellas would if a woman decided to walk around with her sin cushions flapping in the breeze.

Thats because we have 'sexed up' breasts so they are something totally different to what they are designed to be, women cant even breast feed anymore without abuse.

They maybe nice looking fun bags, but they do have a purpose.
  • Options
    you think there is more chance of naturists being paedophiles than people who like to wear clothes?

I agree with the girl who came from a naturist background, that there may be people who are naturists that take advantage of younger people in their community. I'm not saying because they run about nekked there's a greater chance of them being pedophiles, I just don't think it's alright for kids to be alone with adults who are buck naked. :yuck:
  • Options
    I just don't think it's alright for kids to be alone with adults who are buck naked. :yuck:

Why not?
  • Options
    Aren't people able to look at a naked body and see something other than a sex object?

Er, no
  • Options
    This country is really obsessed with the human body and with paedos...

What do folks think about people taking children to nudist beaches then? Should that be allowed? Are we risking to corrupt children or make them easy prey of kiddie fiddlers?
  • Options
    I just don't think it's alright for kids to be alone with adults who are buck naked. :yuck:

What a ridiculous statement.

Why is nudity seen immediately as a sexual thing? I get naked when I bathe, it doesn't mean I want to hump the shower.
  • Options
    it totally depends on the context.
    Non sexual nudity is fine even *shock horror* around children. I would not be bothered about my son seeing anyone naked, as long as they werent sporting a hard on and leering at him or suchlike.
  • Options
    Complete nudity is often considerably less sexual than part nudity, which is why nudist camps always ban people from wearing thongs, suggestive clothes etc.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What a ridiculous statement.

Why is nudity seen immediately as a sexual thing? I get naked when I bathe, it doesn't mean I want to hump the shower.

:no:
    I just know I wouldn't be comfortable with my kid around some naked person..doesn't make me ridiculous, personal choice.

If they want to run around naked, fine, just not around my kids.
  • Options
    Wow. How the fuck do children in these foreign countries who play naked with each other ever cope? Why aren't they all sicko's and abused? Oh, wait. Becuase there isn't so much of a paranoid sexual attitude out there.

Just wondering... am I the only person who as a child got up to "naughty things" with the girls? :p I am sure we all did at some point.

Anyway, if there wasn't such a focus on nakedness having to be sexual, it wouldn't be so bad. Obviously, in some situations it is innapropriate. You should not weld naked, cook naked, perform surgery or the like. Plain dangerous.
  • Options
    Read my reply, it's a personal choice. My opinion. I'm not critisising anybody who runs around naked, and if YOU want to let naturists run around with your kids looking on, fair enough.

I'd rather be paranoid then let any harm come to any of mine, nudie or not.
  • Options
    I just know I wouldn't be comfortable with my kid around some naked person..doesn't make me ridiculous, personal choice.

Well it does, now that you mention it.

The person who's most likely to attack your child is the father, or your father. I bet you won't stop them running around with your kids.

Belief in the bogeyman is ridiculous.

To compare naturists with paedophiles is awful.
  • Options
    I didnt compare them, in my first post I said how I had watched a documentary, the narrator was an American girl who came from a naturist family. It was either herself or one of her interviewees that had mentioned pedophilia in the naturist community. That's it, I don't think people should be given abuse because of their nakedness. lol. Dear me. We all ran around naked once and if you're up for dealing with the weather, good on ye, like that naked rambler fellow, Stephen Gough.