Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help Am Pregnant and confused!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just found out am pregnant! Am confused how its happened though! If I got pregnant about 4 days before my period was due would i off still missed that period or would it of had to be a few weeks earlier??
Please help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The biology of implantation isn't well known to me I'm afraid, but there's a chance you could have had some bleeding known as implantation bleeding, and if you're not sure what you're looking for, then it could be confused for a period. I do know some women who have had +ve pregnancy tests a couple of days before their periods were due, so yes, there was a chance that between ovulation and their period, implantation happened quickly enough to get the hormone going (Beta-HCG) which is detected in pregnancy tests.

Do you know the first date of your last period? You'd be able to calculate roughly how many weeks you're pregnant by that method.

How are you feeling about it all?
    i would guess it would have had to be earlier than the 4 days before your period. however the timing of the 'fertile window' in women can vary considerably.

What you may be experiencing is a 'biochemical pregnancy' where fertilisation occurred and hormone levels altered however implantation didnt occur. IT would be worth you taking another pregnancy test to be sure. also found this site that might explain things a little. http://sharedjourney.com/articles/chem.html

keep us updated
    Biochemical pregnancies are basically early miscarriages where a woman had a positive pregnancy test, then started bleeding where the next test turned negative.

It's impossible to get a positive pregnancy test unless implantation has occured because that's when the pregnancy hormone starts getting secreted.
    but i thought you'd been trying for a baby...

that's what you said here...

also.. how old are you exactly? because in that post you said you were 23, but

here

you say you're 18. unless im just totally reading it wrong... :confused:
    Kat_B wrote:
    here

Well according to her profile sshe's 18 :)
    ah i see... obviously just a slip of the tongue when she put 23 in the other one... :)
    Her profile says she's 19.
    Kat_B wrote:
    but i thought you'd been trying for a baby...

that's what you said here...

also.. how old are you exactly? because in that post you said you were 23, but

here

The Site.org's very own Miss Marple :p
    lea_uk wrote:
    Her profile says she's 19.

haha yes lol oops i ment that.
    The Site.org's very own Miss Marple :p

:yes: i should get out more!! but still... it's interesting... :chin:
    Who cares?

The advice is the same regardless of whether or not you suspect the poster of something. Many other non-members who come here won't be lying, and will be put off by all this carping.
    Am 19 thank you x
    Why lie on the other thread then?

Very bizarre.
    This is just my guess.... but maybe she said she was older because she thought, rightly or wrongly, that instead of answering her question people would just have a go at her for trying to get pregnant at the age of 18. You know how self righteous and judgemental people can be about stuff like that.
    Miffy wrote:
    This is just my guess.... but maybe she said she was older because she thought, rightly or wrongly, that instead of answering her question people would just have a go at her for trying to get pregnant at the age of 18. You know how self righteous and judgemental people can be about stuff like that.
    It's a bit odd, though, to want to get pregnant on one thread and then find herself surprised to be up the duff on another.
    Kentish wrote:
    It's a bit odd, though, to want to get pregnant on one thread and then find herself surprised to be up the duff on another.

i think its that she's more confused about her dates than the fact that she's pregnent
    Im confused, why over Mel-H's username does it say she posted 'today' at '1.26pm' when it's only 12.43???
    a ha, site's clocks are wrong. thanking you.
    Miffy wrote:

Fair enough point that. Some people on here would be like that.

I'm not being accusative, because I don't care, I just wondered why she lied.
    Kermit wrote:

Fair enough point that. Some people on here would be like that.

I'm not being accusative, because I don't care, I just wondered why she lied.

It's not just people on here. I had a GP who treated me like she thought I was some kind of juvenile delinquent when I was expecting my eldest at the age of 19, a couple of months off being 20, despite the fact that I was married. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I know.
    it just seems at this day and age having kids when you're 18/19 seems unwise most of the time
    she hasnt said if she's happy about it or not
    Ballerina wrote:
    it just seems at this day and age having kids when you're 18/19 seems unwise most of the time
    she hasnt said if she's happy about it or not

Why unwise?
    Why unwise?
    well at 18/19 you're barely an adult and its usually difficult to be able to support a baby at that age
    it also seems hardly any young parents stay together forever anymore
    Is this really the place to discuss the merits and drawbacks on teenage parenting when hollie only asked a question about her dates?
    go_away wrote:
    Is this really the place to discuss the merits and drawbacks on teenage parenting when hollie only asked a question about her dates?

No, not really, just saying that's my guess as to why she may have bumped her age up a few years and if so I can understand why.
    Miffy wrote:
    No, not really, just saying that's my guess as to why she may have bumped her age up a few years and if so I can understand why.

I don't think it ws directed at you...
    Just covering all eventualities. :D
    Right, now we've got all those niggles sorted out shall we get back to the point.

Have you been to the GP yet? They will be able to help you out with dates and any tests etc you need to have, plus they can talk you through the options.

You could also talk to one of these organisations for advice:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Web: www.brook.org.uk
    Tel: 0800 018 5023

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Web: www.fpa.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 310 1334

Take a look at these two sections on TheSite too - they'll give you loads of info, no matter what your next move is:

Unplanned pregnancy

Pregnancy and parenthood

Take care :)
    spanner wrote:
    Have you been to the GP yet? They will be able to help you out with dates

Yeah, sorry should've said, you should be sent for a dating scan sometime between about 8 and 13 weeks. These are very accurate and the due date they come up with is the one the doctors/midwives go by, even if you know exactly when your last period was.