Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age gap and tellin your parents the truth?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heya i need advice! :confused: Ive jus turned 16 and ive been wiv my bf nearly a year now the fact is hes 25! we both feel we should tell our parents the truth but how can we like bring it up ? And wats your views on this matter? HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    are your parents aware of the relationship, just not of his age??? if so, what are their views of him??? I think if you act mature+show you're responsible and sensible, they'll respect you more. Also, if you bring him round, spend time with them, dont just hang out in your room bcos they will just assume you're up there doing stuff!!!
  • Options
    Hey dad/mom. I met this really great guy. We've been seeing eachother for a while now. Hes very sweet and quite sexy. He does this for a job, he does this for fun and he is this age.

Oh hunny, we are so excited for you. So long as he treats you nice thats all we care about. Your father/mother and I are so happy for you. Remember to practice safe sex. Here is the number for my OBGYN. Go there and get some birth control. Love you, must go play Bingo now though.
  • Options
    Sugar mouse, Yeah my parents are aware of are relationship and my mum loves him hes the onli guy ive been out wiv that she likes!!! They fink hes 20!!!!
  • Options
    Can you spell properly please? Text talk is frowned upon on these boards for the simply fact it is unintelligible.

If they know him, and have met him, and like him, then why mention anything? I seriously doubt they think he's only 19 or 20, and even if they do, unless you lied to them why come clean? Just drop it into conversation next time ages comes up, don't make a huge meal out of something that doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Yeah but hes really 25! i lied to mi parents i sed he was 19 wen they met him n on hes bday they think he turnd 20! he also lied to his parents they fink im 17!!
  • Options
    Can you write in English please? Don't use text talk on these message boards.

Well, you need to correct the lie, but why make a song and dance of it? I don't even know why you lied in the first place, to be quite honest.
  • Options
    I think you should defiantely tell your parents and his paretns the truth. They can then decide if they think he's taking advatage of you, and if so, what, if anything to do about it. I'm not saying that 16 & 25 automatically means he's taking advantage but they're older and (we hope) wiser and will be able to support/guide you.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Can you spell properly please? Text talk is frowned upon on these boards for the simply fact it is unintelligible.

"Fink" makes you sound like a retard.

And why do you think your their parents would have such a problem? Its not like he's 40 and your 12. Your both of age I believe.
  • Options
    We are now we started goin out wen i was 15 n he was 24!
    I jus really love him and he really loves me & we both love our parents we jus dont knw how to tell them ?
  • Options
    What's the point in trying to give you advice about making a stupid lie to your parents about age when you can't even take advice on how to type?
  • Options
    We are now we started goin out wen i was 15 n he was 24!
    I jus really love him and he really loves me & we both love our parents we jus dont knw how to tell them ?
    (Listen i type the way i type ok!)
  • Options
    Type in proper words, for crying out loud. Them's the board rules, I've tried being nice, and if you can't be bothered to obey the board rules then sod off.

Don't make a big song and dance about it, don't tell them when he's there, and all will be fine. I don't get why you lied, but hey, you did.
  • Options
    Have a look Here

Text talk

There are reasons why text talk isn't the greatest way to communicate on these boards:

1. There is no word limit, so you don't need to shorten words, although the odd u and 2 are allowed
    2. It may be faster for you to type, but it takes much longer to read, and the lack of punctuation also makes your posts hard to decipher. It puts people off responding.
    3. Text talk makes you look stupid and illiterate, sad but true. Board users will also assume that if you can't be bothered to write properly, why should they bother to try and help you.
    4. The search - if you write normally, the key words will be picked up when doing a search, helping you and others. One of the main reasons for our search not being as good as it could be is the use of text talk.

Number 3 applies to you most I would say.

And if you are honestly not matrue enough to tell you parents the truth about fucking age... well then. There really is no point to continue this relationship then is there. I can't see how you can "love" somebody when you can't even tell people the truth about them.
  • Options
    Listen all i want is advice!!!!!
    so plz help!!!
  • Options
    If you won't obey the rules of the board after being politely asked on several occasions, then why the heck should we help you?

I'm not being nasty, I'm saying you should obey the rules and etiquette of the board if you expect us to help you. It is, after all, only basic manners.

Go to your mum and say "OMG!!! I lied to you mum!!!". Or don't.

I've said don't make a big deal of it, because it isn't one. Are you ignoring that as much as you ignore the requests about etiquette?
  • Options
    if you want advice then respect the rules first, its only fair
    im about to turn 16 myself (a month today) and personally i don't think you can have much in common with a guy nearly 10 years older....in my eyes i usually worry because you have to consider what a man in his mid twenties is doing with a school girl....which is what your parents will worry about. Also if you slept together before you were 16 (and looking at your profile you were only 16 yesterday) then he was breaking the law - which i'm sure you're both aware of anyway.
    if the relationship is so strong, then why have you been ashamed and lied for so long?
  • Options
    the thing is there's not a huge amount of advice to give.. if you want to tell them then the only way is to tell them straight out.

explain you were worried how they would react and that's why you didn't tell them to begin with. say you're sorry you lied to them, you're serious about the relationship and you hope they understand and support you.

you said your mum likes him so i don't see why it will be too much of a problem. the age gap isnt THAT much and you're over the age of consent. just apologise for lying to them and explain why you did.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Type in proper words, for crying out loud. Them's the board rules, I've tried being nice, and if you can't be bothered to obey the board rules then sod off.

Shit most people don't even get that much free reign from you Kermit!

Original poster. I can accept that 'it's just the way you type'. However, typing in text speak does make you look like a semi-literate retarded chav. Whether or not that's the case or not is neither here nor there but it does put people off reading your post as they can't understand a lot of it and thus it makes people more reluctant to help you when you can't even be bothered to type properly.

We're not having a go, we're just asking you to obey the board rules which are there to make things easier to understand with the eventual end that people might be more inclined to help you which at the end of the day, is what you want. We say jump and you've got to say how high.
  • Options
    Firstly ditto what everyone else said about the text typing thing and secondly either just tell the truth or don't !
    You said your self they like him so they obviously think he's a nice guy what harm would it really do to tell them his real age ?
  • Options
    9 years aint too much of an age gap and if all involved like the other then the only problem is in your head. If hes proved that he can be trusted by your parents already then they'll just have to get used to it; worst case scenario is that they're a bit put out, but its hardly a criminal offence. Just get it over with.
  • Options
    So in english your problem is you lied to your parents and his.

Your parents meet him on his birthday and you told them he was 19 (so they believed he was turning 20), he is really 25. Your 16 now (where 15) when you met. But you told his parents that you where 17. You have been going out for about a year.

I had a simular problem, around christmas I meet my boyfriend who 6 Years older then me. For the first couple of months I did not tell my parents about him at all or any of my family. After a couple of months I thought it was about time to tell them, but I was scared about what they would say so i told my brother first to see what kind of reaction there would be about the age gap.

I sort of hoped my brother would tell my parents, but he did not so a few days later when I hear nothing from my parents I phoned up my mum and told her. She did not really say anything about it at all, neither did my dad when i spoke to him after he got back from work (he phoned me). Neither of them had anything much to say about the fact i had a boyfriend or about the age gap.
  • Options
    9 years aint too much of an age gap and if all involved like the other then the only problem is in your head. If hes proved that he can be trusted by your parents already then they'll just have to get used to it; worst case scenario is that they're a bit put out, but its hardly a criminal offence. Just get it over with.

I think it is harder for girls who are under 18 or even up to the age of 21 o tell there parents about age gaps, as they are always seen as there parents' little girl. Even though I'm now 21, my bf still jokes about me being dad's little girl.
  • Options
    the longer you keep up the lie the more upset and disappointed they'll be, if you come clean soon make a note of mentioning that you respect them enough to inform them of the truth and that it would have been easier to keep up the lie. Thats what happened to me because my parents didn't accept my boyfriends nationatily and i came cleane after a while of lying. They still didn't accept him and it made it harder to see him but they did respect me for coming clean about it. I just wish i never told them in my case.
    goodluck, if they already like him don't worry, clearly he doesn't act like a 25 year old if he passes as a 20year old.
  • Options
    Listen all i want is advice!!!!!
    so plz help!!!

Didn't you read any of what the other people typed?! Up to that point, 4 separate people had given you advice on your situation - sensible advice at that - , some like Kermit more than once.

What's the point of asking people about your problem if you're deaf to the replies?
  • Options
    Tell them. They will probably worry about what a twenty five year old bloke sees in a sixteen year old girl still at school because that is what parents tend to do. If they find out though by some means that you are lying to them its going to make the whole thing look even more sordid, like your boyfriend has something to hide. Tell them, don't make a big deal of it like Kermit said and if they get mad explain that you were worried about their reaction and you appreciate their concern but think they should get to know him more before the pass judgment.
  • Options
    Hiya,
    I agree with most that you need to tell them as soon as you can.
    I'm glad you are in a good relationship.
    Just wondering....how did you meet and what's the relationship like...is it affectionate and stuff?Just curious.
  • Options
    heya, Yea me and my bf richard have a fantastic relationship! since we got 2gether on 14th december 2004 both of our lives have been gr8, we're rele close! and know loads bout one another! I jus want my parents to understand why i lied ! my mum was sayin 2 me (she thinks) as Richie is 20 if she didnt want us 2 sleep 2gether she wud have told the police long b4 now! So i fink im ok in that case! but i jus want them to accest that we love one another and dont wanna lose eachother ! I jus want our parents to take us serious!!

Cud some1 like help me, how to word how we can say it to both our parents?
  • Options
    I give up.

You're being deliberately rude, and obtuse, and to be quite honest, I can't be arsed dealing with your rudeness or your problem.

You are rude, inconsiderate, and a moron. Good day to you.
  • Options
    U shud say, Hey mom, i lyk ttly luv ths guy bt apperantly i dnt luv hm enuf 2 tell peeps the truth abt him. thts aight tho. he lied bout me 2. so hes rly 25. i hpe u arnt mad tht i lied 2 u. im jst immature lyk tht. however, i hve cum 2 the conclusion tht i will nt be able 2 se him 4 a whle as i hve decided 2 go bck 2 skool and tke sme english, spelng nd grmer courses.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    U shud say, Hey mom, i lyk ttly luv ths guy bt apperantly i dnt luv hm enuf 2 tell peeps the truth abt him. thts aight tho. he lied bout me 2. so hes rly 25. i hpe u arnt mad tht i lied 2 u. im jst immature lyk tht. however, i hve cum 2 the conclusion tht i will nt be able 2 se him 4 a whle as i hve decided 2 go bck 2 skool and tke sme english, spelng nd grmer courses.

your well rude i have been typing probly cause you lot moaning!!!1