Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Blind People

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know anyone that is Blind? If so what things in everyday life do they have problems with most?

I'm particularly interested in people who are termed legally blind, i.e. they can see something, maybe light and dark, blurred vision, etc

I had to help this young chap in the London Underground and took him as far as I was going and the rest he said he'd manage on his own, I couldn't imagaine how he finds his way around day to day when going to a new place - he was partially blind.

I'm sure these days we have the technology to provide them with a lot more then a white stick - which is all he had.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a white stick - which is all he had.

Poor chap though - must be tough being blind.
    quarfly wrote:
    Poor chap though - must be tough being blind.

He actually came to a meeting I went to - no one knew he was coming - it was the first time we'd met him - and he made it there OK - cos it was daytime and he could see light and dark - but on the way back it was dark and then he couldn't see much at all.

this looks interesting though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/closeup/gps.shtml
    My Stepfather's mother is blind, however it's amazing what she can do.

There's acentre back home called the Cunliffe where adults with various disabilities go to do arts and crafts. I think theyalso put on plays in school to make kids more aware.
    A blind man walks past a fish market and says "helo ladies".
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A blind man walks past a fish market and says "helo ladies".
    Do blind men usually think women smell bad?

I don't know anyone really blind, but I do know someone whose one eye is blind.
    It is one of those things that people never think twice about until it smacks then in their face, or arm, or whatever. I think they have heightened senses, so it isn't as bad as being completely blind at all. My gf volunteers a lot and she always gets most upset when people are completely blind.
    I used to see the same blind guy every morning, and always used to show him to his bus stop. He was a nice guy, I haven't seen him in ages.

Being blind must be so horrible, I can't even begin to imagine it.
    A bus that I used to get also passed by the RNIB and the driver used to shout the name of every stop as there were always so many blind people going to and from the centre. Also a blind man used to get the bus I used to get to work and the drivers used to shout for him when they arrived at his stop.
    I used to walk this blind man to the bus stop in my last job and I saw him the other day in a shop so I took him where he wanted to go. He remembered me bless him. I dont know how the do it either but its brilliant.

I love it how people can translate things aswell when I say something to them they ask the person it in their own language. I stand there just watching and find it amazing.
    your other senses heighten when you lose one, even if it's only a temporary loss. my brother is partially sighted and has lots of gadgets to help him. another blind friend we know gives excellent massages.
    I work for a charity which works with people who are deafblind thats deaf and blind at the same time. We have people in our building who are both deaf and partially sighted or blind - I also get to meet lots of them when I go on field vists - one young man I met was amasing I didnt' even realise he was totally deaf, blind in one eye and with really limited vision in the other when I first met him.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Zalbor wrote:
    Do blind men usually think women smell bad?

:lol:
    Weekender Offender 
    being deaf and blind must be awful. not meaning this to sound awful but how are they aware of what is going on around them? i dont mean that they are stupid i just mean that if they cant see or hear how do they know what is hapening#?
    I went to school with a blind boy. He was pretty cool. Very nice and got along with everybody. Though when he asked me to sign his yearbook I got a bit confused. Then when I did, I didn't know if I should read him what I wrote or what, so I just passed it to somebody else.

Went to school with a deaf girl too. But she was a stuck up bitch. Thought she was better than everybody else, so I never associated with her.