Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thesite Cookbook!

13»

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Violette wrote:
    I typed in mermaid pie but it didn't come up for some strange reason.. but I remember seeing it in duffy's 'pork pie sampling meet' in a link.. so i did some digging.. yes, i'm sad. :p
    well fancy my fish turning up in his pie!
    Violette wrote:
    fancy that :p how did you come up with the recipe?
    if i remeber rightly ...i was shopping around the super ...already picked up ginger and stuff ...started to read the ingredients on a captains pie in a froxen box and suddenly fancied some fish ...
    of course the boxed factory one didn't have ginger and stuff.

i love ginger ...god must have been young when he invented ginger ...you can tell he's going a bit semnile when he startds producing turnips and such.
    I love yellow fish. It's not that cheap (about £1.30 a fish) but sooooo good.

Recipe 1: yellow fish
    1. Poach smoked haddock in milk in a frying pan for about 15 mins, turning once
    2. Cook new potatoes (Boil according to instructions on packet) and serve with butter
    3. Serve. If you're feeling like veg then serve with sweetcorn or peas, and a bitty of parsley to add decoration.

Recipe 2: Stir fry
    You can make stir fry with pretty much any meat. I usually use either chicken breast or bratwurst sausage that i acquire from Lidl pretty cheaply. But I've recently discovered frozen prawns because they were cheap in sainsbury's... mmm....

1. Cook meat in frying pan with a small amount of oil. If it's sausage that's cooked already it needs a lot less time than chicken.
    2. Add onions next
    3. Add any other veg you fancy/can afford
    4. If it's sausage i usually add squeezy chilli stuff i got from sainsbury's or chilli powder, if it's chicken i tend to add soy sauce and paprika
    5. Add 'Straight to wok' noodles. They're not THAT cheap, and if you're suffering a serious lack of money you can always serve the above with pasta or instant noodles
    6. Serve!
    lil_kazzy wrote:
    2. Cook new potatoes (Boil according to instructions on packet)
    !
    i'm sorry but that bit made me chortle! :razz:
    i'm sorry but that bit made me chortle! :razz:
    Lol, that's the way I do it anyway.

Maybe I should have said "Wash, then boil in lots of lightly salted water until you can stick a knife in them and it comes out again without resistance"

:p
    lil_kazzy wrote:
    Lol, that's the way I do it anyway.

Maybe I should have said "Wash, then boil in lots of lightly salted water until you can stick a knife in them and it comes out again without resistance"

:p
    i have never come across a bag of spuds that has cooking instructions on them.
    i have never come across a bag of spuds that has cooking instructions on them.
    Hmm, maybe you need to start going to Sainsbury's... :p

Although, it did surprise me to find out that they do too. Was shown by a boyfriend who was a particularly inept cook.
    Anybody here like to cook? Or looking for cheap meals to make?

I wanna know the secret to making a perfect joint of Roast Beef

best recipe I can find is this one

http://www.open2.net/everwonderedfood/prefect_roast_beef.html
    My Rarebit

25g butter
    3 egg yolks
    2 tsp english mustard or hot horseradish
    100ml Newcastle Brown
    tabasco sauce
    worcestershire sauce
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    225g stilton or cheddar cheese grated
    4 slices toast

Put the grill to its highest setting.

Melt the butter on low, then let it cool. Mix in the egg yolks, mustard, beer and a dash of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces. Add salt and pepper, and stick in the cheese.

Stick on toast and under the grill. :yum:

Chorizo sandwich.

Chorizo Sausage
    Bread
    Stella
    Oil

Slice the chorizo as thinly as possible. Cut as much as you want. Stick the pan on with the oil. Throw in the chorizo and let it warm up without cooking it. Then pour a little Stella in the pan and leave for a minute.

Pull out the chorizo and stick on one slice of bread and then dip the other slice in the Stella and lovely red juices in the pan and then make a sandwich. :yum:

Chorizo is the dogs bollocks.
    Weekender Offender 
    I do a lot of cooking.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I wonder how many people have actually bothered to try venison, some of the leanest, tastiest, helthiest meat you can buy in this country.
    Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

My mum cooked venison burgers the other day. GOD they were yummy :yum:.
    Knowing Skive's love of game, particularly venison, be careful what food you accept from him around Christmas time, you may well be eating Rudolph ...
    I hate fake meat - I can't see the point in it - if i was going to become veggie i'd much rather just eat vegetables which are better for you as well.

Game is good - I really like venison though its majorly yummy.

Anyway - I can cook nearly everything so have a recipie for hollandaise sauce.

Red wine vinegar
    a medium sized shallot - finely diced
    1/2 a packet of butter - either presidant or sainsburys taste the difference normandy butter - cut it into 1 cm cubes
    fresh tarragon

1) Make a bain marie - thats with a sauce pan with boiling water in the bottom then you suspend a bowl over the top but it can't touch the water you need to keep it heated on the hob.

2) place I table spoon of vinega in your bowl add the shallot and a bit of salt and pepper and heat this up.

3) take a whisk and one cube at a time add in the butter whisking it into the mixture - the heat should melt the butter as its added so that it emulsifies with the vinega - your finished result should look a bit like yellowy mayonnaise

4) when you've added in all your butter then stirr in a handfull of tarragon.

Serve with anything you want - i particually recommend steak and chips or use poached salmon below.

Take a salmon steak per person and put them in the bottom of a wide saucepan (or a deep frying pan with a lid if you have one) - add a mixture of half milk and half water to the pan so the fish is just covered - then add a dash of white wine if you have some and a bit of salt and pepper - turn on the heat and bring the milk/water to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for around 10 mins - the salmon should have turned pale pink and be flakey.

Enjoy

xxx
    I wanna know the secret to making a perfect joint of Roast Beef

best recipe I can find is this one

http://www.open2.net/everwonderedfood/prefect_roast_beef.html

go to iceland they have different sized ones and there labeld with the number of people it can feed. put it in the oven and then once its cooked for the time the packet says, tuck in (they really are well nice

there well nice
    Mel-H wrote:
    go to iceland

Not for meat. :no:

Local butcher is best. He'll tell you how best to cook it too. If you're going to get meat from a supermarket though go to Waitrose.
    Weekender Offender 
    yeh actually i was reading about bad practices of keeping live stock in the paper yesterday and how waitrose was the best of a bad bunch.

its just british consumerism (is that even a word???) we wont pay for decent food, everyone wants high quality at low prices and then we complain when farmers cut corners and use bad practice but no one wants to pay enbough for them to be able to earn a crust
    minty lamb shepherds pie

fry up enough lamb mince for 4 people add 2 chopped onions and fry together.

make some bisto up in a jug and pour it on the mince. add shitloads of rosemary and mint from a jar.

boil up some spuds, mash them with loadsa butter and plonk the mince in an ovenproof flat dish, then bung the spuds on the top and stick it all in the oven for half an hour.
    I find the best shepards pie (or cottage pie) is made out of what left of you sunday roast. Just put it through the mincer with some bread crusts. :yum:
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I find the best shepards pie (or cottage pie) is made out of what left of you sunday roast. Just put it through the mincer with some bread crusts. :yum:
    mincer! these people don't have friggin mincers!

i do though ...just got some lambs hearts which will be going through the mincer tommorow with some beef.

like the sound of your rarebit skive.
    these people don't have friggin mincers!

Everyone should have a mincer, they're an excellent bit of kit.
    It means you can make your own proper mince, rather than the shite you get in the shops.

Mince and dumplings. :yum:

What you going to do with your lamb heart/beef mince?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Everyone should have a mincer, they're an excellent bit of kit.
    It means you can make your own proper mince, rather than the shite you get in the shops.

Mince and dumplings. :yum:

What you going to do with your lamb heart/beef mince?
    not sure yet mate ...got them from the travelling butcher ...they were still beating yesterday.
    i love picking at heart whilst cooking it ...little bit of black pepper and nowt else ...mmmm. then i'll just DO something with it.
    possibly simple burgers.

i love dumplings ...wife makes the crunchy kind i make the soggy ones.
    love 'em both.

for those who don't know ...the traveling butcher is a guy who goes round the small holdings killing the meat.