Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Silver fillings still?????? oh my god

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I just came back from the dentist. Now about 15 months ago (or thats what they said) I had a root canal in the way back of my teeth on the top. So naturally, I never really looked at it. But I go in today and they start drilling out the filling to put in a tooth colored one. I was shocked I had a silver filling in my tooth! My one and only filling was silver. I didn't even know they still used that stuff! How dare they put colors in my precious beautiful mouth and teeth. Now though, it is white. Yay.

And I need all four wisdom teeth pulled within 2 years for my best interest :( They spent 5 years not moving and in six months they have started growing. You can even see a dot of one!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rotten, isn't it. Why would they even use silver now? I'm just so thankful I never noticed it when it was silver. And why must they be so violent with the scraper thingy :p
    Its cos you have shit dental care in your screwy country. :thumb:

(Cue bad teeth come back ;))
    At least it's not mercury
    Renzo wrote:
    Its cos you have shit dental care in your screwy country. :thumb:

(Cue bad teeth come back ;))

Heavens no. We have excelent dental care :| I have perfect teeth as does nearly everybody I know. :p
    OH my dentist back home used to do the teeth of the Bulls (basketball) He's got all the rings. He rocks.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'd want a metal one if I got one. But the dental care is so good here I dont need one yet. ;p

Ahem. Yeah, Metal is cooler. Metal tastes nice. It's also cool, I mean, come on! Yeah, odd they still use it, but hey, it isn't anymore so be happy. At least you don't have a fucking brace. Grr... although, at least my brace is free.
    my_name wrote:
    And I need all four wisdom teeth pulled within 2 years for my best interest :( They spent 5 years not moving and in six months they have started growing. You can even see a dot of one!
    I'm having mine out December 21st :nervous:

I want them out it's just I don't want the pain of having them removed!
    Metal amalgam fillings are stronger than the "white" ones.
    Randomgirl wrote:

Lets hope the pain is gone my Christmas :p

I hate dentists with a passion, my one is so horrible :grump:
    Randomgirl wrote:

it isn't that bad!

granted i was in such a state with mine that i would have had them out myself with a hammer and chisel if i could reach them, so even a bit of post-op pain and swelling was a huge relief. but still, it isn't bad.

if it's a simple extraction, you'll bleed a bit, feel sorry for yourself for a couple of days and then be right as rain. even if it's a horribly manked one like mine (i ended up with stitches from under my tongue, right the way up and over my right lower jawbone and halfway up the inside of my right cheek) it still is more of a faff than anything. you'll look like michael schumacher for a week and then be right as rain.
    So glad i've never had a filling. So glad, not good with pain
    concious sedation!!!! absolute god send i recently had this when i had to have my fillings and teeth, you don't feel anything and plus you hardly remeber a thing so its not traumatising at all!!
    Lets hope the pain is gone my Christmas :p

I hate dentists with a passion, my one is so horrible :grump:
    They told me that the worst day is usually about the 4th day after the operation! But hey, I can eat soup. I'm having a general and am getting it done by a maxilo-facial surgeon at the hospital. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I just want them out.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    They told me that the worst day is usually about the 4th day after the operation!

:no:

the morning after is hands down the worst. after that it's all on the up. on christmas day you'll still look like you had the shit kicked out of you, but the swelling will be starting to go down and you should be in a lot less pain.