Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scary Mitchells.....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The law was changed because when it was up to the victim to prosecute, there were many instances when the victim was assaulted again and again until they agreed to withdraw charges.

It appears that Ross Kemp is now claiming that he got his thick lip elsewhere.

Yeah, I can see the logic behind it, but...there's something instrinsically wrong with a legal system which, if i was married, would prosecute my wife for domestic abuse if she slapped me during an argument regardless of the fact I couldn't care less. Something deeply wrong and intrusive imo.
  • Options
    Spliffie, it's to stop those cases where the victim is so shit scared of what will happen to them after they testify... and as Kermit says there has to be a confession first.
  • Options
    Spliffie I have a question for you. If it was the other way round and he had slapped her would you still be saying "it was only a slap"?
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    New series... Ultimate Divorce...
    :lol:

I actually did this side of domestic violence for my drama piece so that it didn't seem stereo typical and i could play a character that is so completely unlike myself. the whole thing seems somewhat ironic now
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    Spliffie I have a question for you. If it was the other way round and he had slapped her would you still be saying "it was only a slap"?

I would consider that as an abuse of his physical dominance.

Yes, you can say that's "sexist" if you want, but it's an abuse of power imo.
  • Options
    Spliffie, your attitude is rather sexist and outdated.
  • Options
    Spliffie, it's to stop those cases where the victim is so shit scared of what will happen to them after they testify... and as Kermit says there has to be a confession first.

Spliffie: if the partner "couldn't care less" then they wouldn't go to the trouble of making a statement to the police saying they have been assaulted.

If they do care, then they will. After that, it is up to the police and the CPS to decide to prosecute.

This has been done to prevent victims being bullied and threatened into withdrawing their complaints. I don't think the new policy has worked as well as intended, and I think it has had unforseen side-effects that don't do anybody any good, but victims are not offered more protection under the new system then before.

From a practical point of view I don't like the new policy, because the courts are filled with untenable cases that have only been brought because of the new policy. The idea behind the policy changes is worthy though.

The main reason why the system doesn't work is because the victim more often than not still goes back to the attacker.
  • Options
    Blagsta, not really. I'm the first to accept it can work both ways. I know a guy who's mid/late 20's and gets properly beaten by his wife. She has the physical dominance over him, so likewise, there's a distinct abuse of power there.

Kermit, I'd agree the motivation behind it is admirable, but i was talking hypothetically, not specifically about the Kemp/Wade stuff.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Kermit, I'd agree the motivation behind it is admirable, but i was talking hypothetically, not specifically about the Kemp/Wade stuff.

Hypothetical people don't give statements to the police if they don't care.

Without a statement to the police by someone then the police can't do anything. And without a statement by the victim a case is non-existant.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Hypothetical people don't give statements to the police if they don't care.

Without a statement to the police by someone then the police can't do anything. And without a statement by the victim a case is non-existant.

Okay, I misunderstood.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Amazing. Today's front page story is about Steve McFadden being hit by his lover... 'And Ender bruv had a bit of bovver as well'.

Good to know that The Sun can simper with the best of them, when a story comes along that's embarrassing to it's editor, and knocks Phil Mitchell's personal affairs into a cocked hat. The killer journalistic instincts go out the window. Will this herald a change of stance for the paper, with other celebrities being entitled to the benefit of the doubt, rather than lurid headlines about marriages under threat? Somehow, I don't think so...
    was grant aka ross kemp actually
    Sorry, what 'was grant aka ross kemp actually'?

(Oh, I see we're doing that 'don't include previous quotes' thing on these boards now. It might save space, but context goes out the window. I have to manually put the nested quotes in, if I think they're necessary...)
  • Options
    In my humble opinion, spliffie is the only one talking any sense in this topic. I honestly don't believe this even classes as domestic violence. I'll probably have to explain this, and you'll all go and try and prove me wrong anyway, but here goes. I know that domestic violence can be a women beating a man, but i also think it works a little bit more than this. It's pyschological power and control over a person,and as someone mentioned, can probably lead to living in complete fear. I don't believe that Ross Kemp lives in fear of his wive, and i doubt any of you do either. Spliffie is (as far as i'm concerned) is the only voice of common sense. Regardless of anything else, is it really a worth a prosecution (i'm looking at this particular case, rather than 'hypothetical' situations in which the genders have been reversed) when she only slapped him. Jesus, i've been slapped by enough girls in my time, but i wouldn't dream of prosecuting them for it. And then there'd be the ridiculous costs involved. This case has been blown stupidly out of proportion because of who is involved. (Something not entirely disimiliar happened not long ago with Leslie Ash), and calling for her resignation over it....i don't think so. Like someone said earlier in the topic, people make one mistake and suddenly they're meant to resign? I really don't think that's fair, and there's too much pressure put on public figures to resign because of what they do in their private lives. I don't think many people would argue with the fact that their home lives and work lives are entirely seperate.

And call me sexist and outdated all the want, but Ross Kemp could most probably pummel her if he really wanted to.
  • Options
    Violence is wrong. Whether it comes from a man or a woman. Yes, men are stronger than women and can technically defend themselves, but does that make it right for a woman to punch her boyfriend? I really don't think so. How many times have we debated this and loads of people on here were saying "It's just as wrong for a woman to hit a man."

We're not in 1950 anymore we're in 2005. Gender equality and all that. If we are allowed to vote, go out to work, earn as much as men, then we should face the same retributions as men.

Sorry but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    people make one mistake and suddenly they're meant to resign?

They are when they are editor of a newspaper which has flung gallons of shit at everyone else.
    there's too much pressure put on public figures to resign because of what they do in their private lives.

Who puts on that pressure>

It wouldn't be the editor of Britain's best-selling newspaper would it? Perish the thought!
    I don't think many people would argue with the fact that their home lives and work lives are entirely seperate.

I would argue that they are not separate.

Especially not when your day job is vilifying people based on rumour, conjecture and half-truth. Not when your day job is accusing footballers of domestic violence without any proof, and then running a vendetta against said footballers.

Not when your day job is running a vendetta against "paedophiles", resulting in scores of innocent people being beaten and having their homes and families destroyed.

For her to stay in her job is grossly hypocritical, and also rather sinister.
    And call me sexist and outdated all the want, but Ross Kemp could most probably pummel her if he really wanted to.

Point is, he doesn't.

He shouldn't have to "pummel" his wife to protect himself.

All in all, the entirety of that post was bollocks, wasn't it?

I believe it was worthy of prosecution, I've seen smaller incidents prosecuted fully by the CPS. What's the difference this time? It's not that she's a woman, it's what her job is. That's why it stinks.