Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

army 'gladiators' duel secretly filmed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4475034.stm

does wonders for the armys reputation i think

im sure thats very practical training :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    It's the latest in corporate team building. Watch out for it at your top city firm.
  • Options
    I doubt it was actualy intended to be training, probably a group of soldiers organized it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's the latest in corporate team building. Watch out for it at your top city firm.

:D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Once again, the bullying in the Armed forces is brought to light.

Ho hum, lets hope they finally DO something before more people die, like has happened a few times now.
  • Options
    Its probably just me, and this is a disclaimer before anyone has a go, but its the royal fucking marines, they're not pansys, they'd eat you up for breakfast if you so much as looked at them funny (possibly an exaggeration). But anyway, I think anyone complaining of bullying in the marines shouldnt be in there. Not that there should be bullying... but anyway. Also, it sounds like an initiation ceremony or something, and whilst im sympathetic, they happen all over. I mean, I went away for just the one week to an army thing (see what life in the army is like) and got dragged out of my bunk in the middle of the night and slapped around with pillows (:o!) and all sorts. Admittedly, they were school kids, but the next day we were all smiles and it helped me get on with them in a strange way. Call it an ice breaker.

At the end of the day the army is a tough job for tough people. If they cant put up with bullying then how will they react in a critical combat situation.

Anyway, I did make a disclaimer at the top, this was just a line of thought I was following :p as long as the army doesnt condone it, I think boys will be boys... soldiers are there to do the dirty work of the country, the killing etc. not to be nice to each other.
  • Options
    sounds like a typical weekend round here.
  • Options
    We want our soldier to be hardened enough to kill other human, we want them to withstand capture and interrogation.

Do you think people are just born with those skills.

Yes I think that this incident was a step to far, but the Army should not be like the WI, FFS
  • Options
    I don't consider being kicked in the face and knocked out by a cunt in a fancy dress costume for no good reason whatsoever either character building or part of any valuable training to be honest.

You can build character and challenge people without acting the cunt. The character building mantra is precisely what bullies, twats and right down psychopaths use as an excuse to abuse other people.

There is an obvious, chronic problem of bullying in the army. This can destroy lives, or on ocassion terminate them on the spot, as the four "suicides" (LOL) in Deepcut prove.

Excessive behaviour should be stamped out.
  • Options
    Good practice for the inevitable nightly raids to kick in civilians' doors in the middle of the night and drag them off to indefinite detention in the theatres of our interventionist militancy.

Building a better breed of psycopathic unquestioning drone to advance our global corporate hegemony, The Marines! ;)
  • Options
    Its probably just me, and this is a disclaimer before anyone has a go, but its the royal fucking marines, they're not pansys, they'd eat you up for breakfast if you so much as looked at them funny (possibly an exaggeration). But anyway, I think anyone complaining of bullying in the marines shouldnt be in there. Not that there should be bullying... but anyway. Also, it sounds like an initiation ceremony or something, and whilst im sympathetic, they happen all over. I mean, I went away for just the one week to an army thing (see what life in the army is like) and got dragged out of my bunk in the middle of the night and slapped around with pillows (:o!) and all sorts. Admittedly, they were school kids, but the next day we were all smiles and it helped me get on with them in a strange way. Call it an ice breaker.

At the end of the day the army is a tough job for tough people. If they cant put up with bullying then how will they react in a critical combat situation.

Anyway, I did make a disclaimer at the top, this was just a line of thought I was following :p as long as the army doesnt condone it, I think boys will be boys... soldiers are there to do the dirty work of the country, the killing etc. not to be nice to each other.

and people wonder why ex-soldiers have trouble adapting to civilian life....

you can build character without rituals like this, this has nothing to do with training whatsoever
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, the SAS guys go through hell to become what they are... I suppose we sohludnt be shocked.

I think it's a case of Macho hardmen trying to prove who is hardest, and ending in a big fucknig cockup and a mess. Yes, they are good killing machines... but look what they are made into. We need these hardcase nuts, undeniabley.

I still like how the US Delta Force, "elite killnig machines" found the Royal MArines lifestyle and training "too hard". I mean, wtf?
  • Options
    It was a clowning around which went to far. Though it confirms my opinions of the RM - wrestling in the nude and wearing dresses - bit homoerotic - they're obviously angling to try and transfer into Paras mortar platoon
  • Options
    Well other experienced Royal Marines dont approve, according to the BBC anyway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4476454.stm

Ill take their word for it, clearly there should be an inquiry and steps to stop this happening again
  • Options

Yeah, I tend to agree.

There is a distinction to be drawn between bullying and naked sparring initiation ceremonies...although NCO's sparking people out after they've given up the fight is out of order.
  • Options
    Well other experienced Royal Marines dont approve, according to the BBC anyway

Well they're hardly going to come out saying "I love mud wrestling in the nude I do!"

It's not exactly a shock, is it, bullying in the army. You have to be a bit of a psycho to want to join the Marines in the first place.

I don't want to condone it, but if we want macho nutters in the army to do the macho nutter jobs, then this is what happens.

The fact that the MoD allows murder to happen in its barracks, and covers it up, is far more worrying than some bloke in a dress having an unfair fight.
  • Options
    http://astream.net/links/notw/joining_run_300.asx

theres the actual video to see what actually happens. insert your usual warnings here: violent content / naked mud wrestling / some swearing etc. etc.
  • Options
    sounds like a typical weekend round here.

Sounds like just another weekend at the rugby club, never mind the Marines!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You have to be a bit of a psycho to want to join the Marines in the first place.

I don't want to condone it, but if we want macho nutters in the army to do the macho nutter jobs, then this is what happens.

This seems a bit unfair - dismissing all those who volunteer for the most rigourous and demanding roles in protecting our country and our country's interests "psycos." :o

And why would we want "macho nutters" to sign up for those at the sharp end? If thats what 'we' want then 'we' end up being responsible for outrages like the torture and humiliation we see in Iraq/Afghanistan. Yes, of course we expect them to be tough and uncomprimising, but also to be measured and controlled in their conduct - not act like "nutters." :no:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Once again, the bullying in the Armed forces is brought to light.

Where the evidence that this is bullying?

It's just a load of blokes sparring naked. I really can't see the problem.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Where the evidence that this is bullying?

It's just a load of blokes sparring naked. I really can't see the problem.
    And the guy who was kicked unconscious?
  • Options
    There have been numerous and endemic reports of bullying by soldiers skive.

And regardless of what you might think, beatings, rapes, sexual degradation and such humiliating acts do not form part of training or character building.

Have you heard of a barracks called Deepcut?
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    This seems a bit unfair - dismissing all those who volunteer for the most rigourous and demanding roles in protecting our country and our country's interests "psycos."

It's not treally though, is it.

You have to be a bit of a psycho nutter to want to volunteer for something that involves killing a lot of people. It's not a criticism exactly, just an observation.

Compassionate men need not apply.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

You have to be a bit of a psycho nutter to want to volunteer for something that involves killing a lot of people. It's not a criticism exactly, just an observation.

Not really the job description. Most soldiers (and I've probably known a lot more than Kermit) don't want to kill anyone, but recognise it may be demanded. Psychos as a whole don't also put their lives on the line - soldiers do.

In fact compassion is very much needed - whether you're trying to calm down some refugees whose house has just been burnt down or dealing with an eighteen year old squaddie who's just found out his girlfriend has been shagging his best mate whilst he's stuck in Germany.
  • Options
    In fact compassion is very much needed - whether you're trying to calm down some refugees whose house has just been burnt down or dealing with an eighteen year old squaddie who's just found out his girlfriend has been shagging his best mate whilst he's stuck in Germany.

Yeah, I think you are confusing the realities of the job with the reasons that people join it for in the first place.

A bit like someone wanting to be a nurse but then having to wipe a lot of arses, innit?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah, I think you are confusing the realities of the job with the reasons that people join it for in the first place.

A bit like someone wanting to be a nurse but then having to wipe a lot of arses, innit?

I suspect many people join the nursing profession realising its not all nice uniforms, but often distasteful drudgery, but with benefits of being able to make a difference.
  • Options
    Like the forces having some need for compassion but a chance to shoot someone dead?

Or is that not what you meant?
  • Options
    Compassionate does not necessarily stamp someone 'not a potential killer'. They can kill, but might be against it.

However, you shouldn't join the army if your looking for long mornings and late poker nights.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    And the guy who was kicked unconscious?

What about him?

My mates and I used to spar with gloves until we one of us sparked out. What's so wrong with that.
    Aladdin wrote:
    There have been numerous and endemic reports of bullying by soldiers skive.

I know there have and I'm well aware of Deepcut. Where's the evidence of 'bullying' here though? :confused:

Sparring and nakedness doesn't equate to bullying.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Like the forces having some need for compassion but a chance to shoot someone dead?

Or is that not what you meant?

That's not what I meant.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Thats just re-stating your original assertions.

Out of interest how many Royal Marines do you know?