Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

not getting the grasp of a subject

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
you know that feeling you're just not understanding a topic i've been getting loads recently since i begun my 3rd year of uni, and it's affecting my general problem sheets etc let alone learning to do the exams

my main problem is my applied math courses im doing for the 1st year pure maths students, im not so used to doing analytical maths these days and im really stuck on force diagrams :(

ive emailed my lecturer asking to talk to them im just unsure what to ask about as i dont really get it :s thing is i know i could do it with a bit more guidance since the people in my class have only done up to further maths a level and ive done 2 years of chemistry, matrices, physics and approximation techniques

any advice on what i can ask her to make it seem like im not a lazy sod?

ps my praises go out to degree maths students
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if it's just the one module you're not getting the hang of, the best thing is practice I'm afraid!

buy the recomended text book for that module, and work through problems, (if you're given some to do, if not, do some out of the text book).

also, 2 heads are always better than one, see if a freind on your course can help you out, usually it's a small trick that won't have clicked with you quite yet!

I personally prefer applied maths, but then again, I'm in my third year of a physics degree :)
    Maths text books can be a bit thin on the ground, pure maths can be a biatch as I found it is a different way of thinking than the more applied stuff. Did you do the module in your first year? If not, why are they asking you to help teach it??

Bopz

you'll be right.

my ex bf did a maths and computing degree and got by alright.

just do your best and accept any help you can.
    Replicant wrote:
    if it's just the one module you're not getting the hang of, the best thing is practice I'm afraid!

buy the recomended text book for that module, and work through problems, (if you're given some to do, if not, do some out of the text book).

I totally agree with this. (I'm doing Foundations of Advanced Maths, not a degree though)
    you know that feeling you're just not understanding a topic i've been getting loads recently since i begun my 3rd year of uni, and it's affecting my general problem sheets etc let alone learning to do the exams

my main problem is my applied math courses im doing for the 1st year pure maths students, im not so used to doing analytical maths these days and im really stuck on force diagrams :(

ive emailed my lecturer asking to talk to them im just unsure what to ask about as i dont really get it :s thing is i know i could do it with a bit more guidance since the people in my class have only done up to further maths a level and ive done 2 years of chemistry, matrices, physics and approximation techniques

any advice on what i can ask her to make it seem like im not a lazy sod?

I find lectures a really uneffective way to learn maths. You just transfer notes from the board to your page without actually "doing" any maths. That's just a rant, it's not advice I know.
    set up a study group may be with some other students on your course?!
    - i'm sure you are not alone in not getting the hang of it! :)
    otter wrote:
    set up a study group may be with some other students on your course?!
    - i'm sure you are not alone in not getting the hang of it! :)

nah theyre maths dept studetns and get general tutorials etc :yippe: