Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I pack it in when the contract expires?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi. As some of you probably know, I have a job at Bhs. It pays 3.75 an hour. I'm on a 9 wekk contract and I have been more or less promised a job after my contract expires.

However I really don't know whether I should say yes or no to it and get a job that pays better. I know i'm only 17 and the job could be a lot harder but I just feel like I'm being used for slave labour tbh.

My Personal Pros and Cons of the job:

Pros:
  • The job is easy
  • The people are friendly
  • If I get kept on I will get electrical training and I won't have to hunt for a job through uni.

Cons:
  • £3.75/h
  • I work Thursdays 5 - 8.15 (9.15 after this week), Saturdays 2 - 6 and Sundays 12.45 - 5.15
  • I hardly get a weekend
  • My friends make more than me

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why not take the job anyway but look around for any better ones?
    Does your wage go up at all?
    When i first started at tesco when i was 16 i got 3.80 or and now i get £5.85 so if there are extra benefits it might be worth sticking. Or try and change your hours, but at the end of the day if it makes you really unhappy, no jobs worth constantley feeling shit all the time.
    Thats a bit shit to honest. By the time i was 17 i was earning 5.30 an hour and that was in a pretty low scummy job. You can definatly get a better wage in a job else where,but id look for one befor yuo pack it in at BHS.
    Well I do like the job, I just feel that for as little that I do I deserve to be paid at least £4. I do the same job as the girl I started with and she gets £5 something.

Just because I'm not 18. I know you have to be there a while to get a wage rise so I don't even know if by August (if I'm still there) I'll get the 18 and over rate plus a rise for being there nearly a year.

Beans, I tried today to change my hours but my line manager told me that because I'm contracted I can't and even if I'm kept on I'll be doing the same hours to cover for the guy who is leaving who does the same time as me on two of my shifts.
    Kat_B wrote:
    why not take the job anyway but look around for any better ones?

Yep. Do that.
    If the contract is ending then it's time for re-negotiations. I'd say "I'll stay on, if you give me x pounds per hour more".

If they agree to pay, then that's fine. If they don't offer you any more, then that's a good indication that the job is going nowhere, time to move on.
    ;[ your hourly rate sucks. If someone else doing the same thing is getting way more then you have every right to be pissed. As mist said, try and negociate..?If they won't just go elsewhere. I'm sure you can get a better job with a higher rate of pay.
    I spoke to a boy the same age as me who's worked there for a year and he gets the same as me. he says there's a chance to get more but you have to fill in workbooks, and tbh nobody can be arsed/find time to get it done. Something to do with needing the managers and I only see mine on a Thursday because she's part time.

I've been told that if I'm kept on it;s the same conditions, just a permanent contract on the grounds that I'll be essentially taking over for another guy who's leaving.

I think I'll stick at it for now and just look around.
    Wages for 16 and 17 year olds are awful, because there is no minimum legal wage.

I'd stick at the job, and look for something else. Retail experience will help you get a better job later on, at a better company.

For the person moaning how "they wouldn't get out of bed" for that- well, gee, I wish I was rich enough to have that choice.