Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

STDs and periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(Is this in the right area or should it be in Health?)
This came to me whilst scanning the 'Sex during periods?' thread.

You can get STDs through intercourse and oral sex as well because if there are cuts in your mouth (i.e. caused by crushing teeth because even if you dont bleed there are tiny cuts all around your gums). Anyway, yeh you can get STDs transmitted that way because they get into the recipients body via these little cuts.
So i just wondered if theres a greater chance of transmission during a period. I know its the lining of the uterus breaking down but if theres blood its got to come from somewhere so is there a greater risk of getting ill during period-sex?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm no expert by a long shot but...

From what I understand, the reason there is an increase risk when there is a cut is due to there being an "easier" way for the pathogen to get into the blood stream. Now on the period, the blood is not caused by an open wound as much but more the break down of the uterus lining as you have already said.

Go_away is probably the best to answer this thread...
    Yeh you both sound right,and i think they are carried that way, but they have to get into the body some way so i would have thought that if the uterus lining is breaking down and blood is released then thats got to mean that the bloodstream is more exposed so the chance must be higher...

Ive asked Go_away to come and give some input
    Well, the uterus lining may be breaking down, but the cervix will be slightly more dilated during a period, making it easier for bacteria etc to get into the uterus. That's why people are encouraged to use condoms during periods, and for instance, not to have anything in the vagina for at least 2 weeks after an abortion.

The best thing to do for piece of mind would be to get a full STI screening if you're worried that you or someone you know has put themselves at risk.
    go_away wrote:
    The best thing to do for piece of mind would be to get a full STI screening if you're worried that you or someone you know has put themselves at risk.

Not really, i was just interested cos it came to me and i just wondered about it. So in summary, theres not really a huge increase in risk but standard advice should be taken onboard people.