Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

yet another spots question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i admit that on the whole im not very nice to my skin, but then i never have been and usually its fine but over the last two months its been getting really bad. its never been flawless but iv never had many spots either. but now i have loads and i mean loads around my jaw line and on my chin.

i know smoking is bad for your skin and i smoke
i know drinking is bad for your skin and i drink (only one night a week but i drink loads on that 1 night)

but on the other hand i take my makeup off everynight (other than the very occasional one where i fall asleep pissed with it still on). i drink lots of liquids, probably not as much water as i should but i drink gallons of tea and juce so i doubt its dehydrated.

any ideas why it could suddenly go really awful? i am in final year at uni and under quite a bit of stress but its not like an im stressed and so have a couple of spots outbreak its like loads of them

cheers for reading my ranting

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where are you hormonally? A lot of women find they get spots around their chin at certain times of the month...
    How is your diet? Do you eat a lot of junk food? It could be down to poor diet.
    Do you touch your face a lot? Touching your face with your hands transfers dirt n grime from your hands to your skin, blocking pores, causing spots.
    Or, do you exfoliate your face regularly? Because, as you start to exfoliate on a regular basis, it brings out the toxins in your skin, and temporarily causing a breakout....

Other than that, I don't really know...

Ilora x
    Well my skin is fairly awful so I'm probably not the best person to listen to but hey...

Spots are mostly hormone related so even really clean skin can get spots. Tea is not that good for you in terms of hydration as it contains caffeine and can leave you needing more water than before you drank the tea. Other than the usual you should try over-the-counter spot treatments from a pharmacy (I'm currently using "Freederm" which makes them look at lot less red) you could try the GP if the spots are getting you down.

I'm trying to think of something else more useul to right but nothing springs to mind. I'm sure that there is a site.org helpsheet on this.
    Also, tea is a diuretic. Drinking lots of tea can dehydrate you without you noticing...

Ilora x
    exact same problem that I have, I went to see my GP and she was really good about it because my skin had always been fairly clear until I turned 20 and then I got acne on my cheeks and spots around my mouth.

She's changed my pill and I'm on Dianette, but time will tell if it's any use. I never touch my face and I drink a fair amount of water.

Tis my punishment for escaping puberty without being called pizza face :rolleyes:
    Tea doesn't count towards your fluid intake RDA thingy, so dehydration could be a factor. See if drinking more water helps as a starter.

there are loads of things that can cause spots right down to your mobile phone transfering grime and ming around your face. Trial and error really, but water is a good start.
    i sometimes get them around certain times of the month and if i'm stressed or tired. nothing worth writing home about though! :)
    I suffered terribly with spots until i was 20 and now i don't have flawless skin but i only suffer mildly on my chin n cheeks sometimes.

Besides things such as stress n periods i manage my spots pretty well.I do find washing my face before bed helps loads n if i know im goin on a night out i have those face wipes next to my bed to wipe my make up off-im more likely to use them rather than avin a wash wen iv come home a lil merry off the pop!
    I also have this spot cream from Superdrug which u put on at night n it dries the spots out its fantastic..works for me anyway!!
    ;)
    Ok I had bad spots for about 6 years and it was pretty crap. But all the investigation I've done seems to suggest that spots or at least the amount of grease in the skin has fuck all to do with your diet. It's all hormonal. Some people get them others don't. A shite state of affairs I'll grant you but I'm afraid if you suffer, there's not that much you can do about it. Wash with soap and water because all those anti-spot remedies just clog up your skin.

Sadly, the best thing to do is just sweat it out. Figuratively that is.
    cheers for your replies people, i think im just gonna wait it out, drink lots of water and stuff see if it imroves and if it duznt then go and see the doc eventually.

does anyone know if moisturiser can cause spots? are there any that are designed so they dont clogg your poures? cheers
    Most moisturisers are oil-based I believe, so aren't helpful with the spots. Clinique do a water based one (it's pink, but I'll be arsed if I can remember the exact name) that's really good. It's quite expensive, but should last a while.
    Mel-H wrote:
    cheers for your replies people, i think im just gonna wait it out, drink lots of water and stuff see if it imroves and if it duznt then go and see the doc eventually.

does anyone know if moisturiser can cause spots? are there any that are designed so they dont clogg your poures? cheers
    Some moisturisers aren't good on acne prone skin but others are fine. Try using one from an anti-blemish range like clean'n'clear, nivea young, garnier pure or whatever, that should be ok for you.
    i hate how having like, 3 spots can make me feel so rubbish. :grump:
    I used a T-zone oil control moisturiser which doesn't seem to make my spots worse.
    my doctor put me on dianette for my skin but i think you aren't supposed to smoke if you take it or something
    anyways, it cleared my skin up no end - im 17 now and went through puberty without any spots then this year my shoulders had loads and where i had a good diet, didn't smoke/drink, drank loads of water and didn't wear make up they decided it was a hormonal thing
    it took about 5 months before my skin was really good though and i wouldn't advocate taking unneccessary medicine but if it's really getting you down it's an option