Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

R.i.p

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spliffie wrote:
    He should've got on the drugs instead. Better chance he'd still be alive and kicking.
    late sixties early seventies he did ...smoking weed when he had his big posh fashion shop in manchester ...he didn't realy take to it for long ...booze was his drug of choice.
    :no: RIP
    he was a legend in his own right
    Simply the Best, George Best the Pride of East Belfast! RIP

Here are some links for some of youse who dont know anything about the best British player that has ever lived. Even Pele himself once dubbed Best "the greatest footballer in the world".

So learn yourself and realise what a true loss Best is to us all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4316154.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4309502.stm
    Watch the video on this page as well, shows the genius Best really was.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/672852.stm
    It's been on the cards so long I don;t really know what to think.

That one of the best footballers ever (I still think Pele was the best) has dribbled out to such a pathetic end is really sad. It actually really upsets me. I suppose he's proof of what Pete Townshend was trying to say.

I hope he's not in any sort of peace at all, and he's having a reet good time of it. He might have been a bit of a twat off the field, but I quite liked him all in all.
    I'm pretty gutted for his family. At the end of the day, he had made some big mistakes - his just happened to be more publicised than your average Joe Random. We all make mistakes, don't we? Some on a big scale, some not.

He was the best football player to come out of the UK, bar none. He brought a lot of pleasure to people with his football. Isn't that enough? He was a sportsman and a fucking good one at that.

Now he's dead, I don't really think we should all go on about his drinking and what-not. It isn't going to change anything. And it certainly isn't fair to his family.

RIP George.
    instead of having a one minute silence celtic are having a one minute applause ...great stuff.
    J wrote:
    Maybe I base things in science too much?
    I then found some random pages of the bible drifting along the road no less than 10 seconds after I'd been thinking about somehting religious.
    :
    SCIENCE!!!!?

what did the pages say?
    Big fan of George Best I had him drummed into me all my life as my mam is a fan of Man Utd. R.I.P George.
    moonrat ...i don't see any tears in this thread ...am i missing something?

looks more like raising a glass or three to a sporting and hellraising legend.

do you never meet people in real life who appear to be larger than life itself in some way?

if not i hope you do some day ...put some colour back in yer cheeks ya miserable sod.
    I don't mean in this thread in particular, but people in general.

It was like when Diana died, people were mourning everywhere even thoug they didn't know her and when those two school kids were murdered, people had come even as far as America to lay down flowers.

Maybe he was a good guy, he was just a footballer however and that's what puzzles me... What has football brought the world (apart from football violence and Tshirts)? It's like when the Pope died, a mate of mine who used to be vocally anti-catholic suddenly went on about how great a guy he was. :rolleyes:

I'm just sick of hearing about him, that's all... I'm sure when the Dalai Lama dies, I will feel a little bit sad because of what an amazing person he is, even though I don't know him...

But ya have people mourning over a football player... yeesh.

Each to their own.
    I don't mean in this thread in particular, but people in general.

It was like when Diana died, people were mourning everywhere even thoug they didn't know her and when those two school kids were murdered, people had come even as far as America to lay down flowers.

Maybe he was a good guy, he was just a footballer however and that's what puzzles me... What has football brought the world (apart from football violence and Tshirts)? It's like when the Pope died, a mate of mine who used to be vocally anti-catholic suddenly went on about how great a guy he was. :rolleyes:

I'm just sick of hearing about him, that's all... I'm sure when the Dalai Lama dies, I will feel a little bit sad because of what an amazing person he is, even though I don't know him...

But ya have people mourning over a football player... yeesh.

Each to their own.
    the dianna stuff was realy pathetic gushing emotional garbage.
    i don't see any of this here.
    when jonathan ross dies ...posh spice ...jim v ...there'll be a thought spared for them ...a thread about them.
    is this not normal?
    as for mr D lamai dies ...how the hell do you know if he's a good person ...he might be a right manipulative bastard who stands in a cupboard every night creaming himself off on pictures of goats and then in the morning speak fine words.

i'll be saddened when bob dylan dies ...he's had an effect on my life, my way of thinking ...my wallet ...all from afar ...and he's just a banjo playing druggy.
    as for mr D lamai dies ...how the hell do you know if he's a good person ...he might be a right manipulative bastard who stands in a cupboard every night creaming himself off on pictures of goats and then in the morning speak fine words.

:lol:

We'll never know what that guy gets up to.

Not sure if there are many heros I look up to these days. Must be just me.
    J wrote:
    Well, it was physical wasn't it... lol.

Can't remember what the pages said to be honest, I'd just walked 17 miles, was extremely drunk and felt as though I'd just stumbled accross the dessert.
    I think it was something from the book of Mormon (the Jehova's witnesses) or something like that.
    If I saved the womans life that's all I'm bothered about... What was more important than me reading the pages was finding out that I such a command of this force which up until that point I hadn't known about. It's quite a mystery.
    you are a confused soul are J.
    the book of mormon has nowt to do with the friggin bible ...and i think the only relationship between mormos and witnos is they all wear suits.
    instead of having a one minute silence celtic are having a one minute applause ...great stuff.

It would be great stuff if there wasn't an agenda behind it.
    It would be great stuff if there wasn't an agenda behind it.
    conspiracy theorisstss everway turn.
    Absolutely no conspiracy theories behind it :)

I won't hijack a thread about George Best but I'm happy to go into detail about it elsewhere.
    Maybe he was a good guy, he was just a footballer however and that's what puzzles me... What has football brought the world (apart from football violence and Tshirts)?

He brought joy, hope and inspiration to millions of people across the world.