Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ronaldo will not face rape charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
BBC story

Continuing the rape theme, what are our thoughts on the Ronaldo case?

Even more reason to keep the defendant anonymous until the verdict?

Comments

• Options
    I always thought that, but then someone on Question Time tonight made a good point. Basically, since a lot of rapists have a pattern of this type of behaviour, allowing people to see who it is being charged may convince other victims of the same rapist to come forward and charge them as well. I do think that they should be anonymous until the charge.

As for successful footballers, there are two schools of thought. The first is that they are so used to getting their own way with girls that when she says no, he can't accept it. The second, is that they are easy targets for revenge for girls who they slept with and never called again, since even if the case doesn't come to court, it can potentially damage their careers. I'm not sure which is the more likely to be honest.
  • Options
    I think they should be anonymous until conviction, to avoid this stigma.

The only problem is that, particularly with defendants who have abused children, many women won't dare come forward until someone else has. This is a problem with many rapists, Imiela was a big example of this. With anonymity these women won't dare come forward, and more sick rapists could get away with it.

On balance, I think it would solve some of the false reporting problems if defendants were anonymous until conviction. The false reporting rate isn't any higher than for similar crimes, but there does seem to be significant problem of false reporting with famous defendants, such as the Hamiltons and Craig Charles, as well as a whole legion of footballers.

I actually think many footballers can't deal with girls saying no, or can't deal with girls only going some of the way. But at the same time people will make false allegations to get famous, as the case of the Hamiltons showed. And also, the cynic in me would add, Ulrika Jonsson.

Insufficient evidence doesn't mean he didn't do it, but he shouldn't have to deal with the stigma unless convicted.
  • Options
    anonymous until convicted

will help both the victim and the defendant
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I actually think many footballers can't deal with girls saying no, or can't deal with girls only going some of the way. But at the same time people will make false allegations to get famous, as the case of the Hamiltons showed. And also, the cynic in me would add, Ulrika Jonsson.

But if a girl says no, a footballer won't have much a problem finding someone who says yes. Which would lead me think the chance of them raping someone isn't as you make out.
    Insufficient evidence doesn't mean he didn't do it, but he shouldn't have to deal with the stigma unless convicted.

So why make ridiculous comments on the sports forum then? You've certainly changed your tune. I wonder why eh? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The false reporting rate isn't any higher than for similar crimes, .
    :chin:
  • Options
    :chin:

It isn't.

Unless you honestly and seriously believe that 95.4% of women who report rape are lying.

Do you believe that?
  • Options
    I have to say, alltho many people lie about crimes for attention, rape is one of the easier more attention effective crimes if u think. Alltho, there is probably many many cases of rape that are false, but there is probably just as many that are unreported.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It isn't.

Unless you honestly and seriously believe that 95.4% of women who report rape are lying.

Do you believe that?
    i might of gotten a little confused here ...it's the flse reporting of other crimes ...i think i see what you mean now. i think ...
  • Options
    plus all those ones just to get at people.
  • Options
    The false reporting rate for rape is about 2%, which is the same as the rate of false reporting of other crimes.

Source.
  • Options
    crimes that have been proven false i take it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The false reporting rate for rape is about 2%, which is the same as the rate of false reporting of other crimes.

Source.
    I'm not necessarily disputing the figures, but that source is inherently biased, and there is no actual source of the information given.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'm not necessarily disputing the figures, but that source is inherently biased, and there is no actual source of the information given.

If it will make you feel better, and given the boards current focus on rape, I'll get in touch with the home office and get the figures from them on Monday - though I would expect them to be about the same.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    If it will make you feel better.
    I object to the implication in a lot of recent posts about rape that to make an opposing argument is to belittle rape or undermine the complainant's right to pursue prosecution for that crime. No one has defended rapists, no one has suggested that women bring it upon themselves. This has nothing to do with me "feeling better" and everything to do with clarifying a common assertion. If we're going to have the argument, let's at least have it with some accurate figures. With regard to the court case, the argument is not whether she has been raped or not, but whether her testimony of not remembering giving consent is enough to convict on.
  • Options
    Those figures are accurate. There was a BBCi article on it not so long ago too, but I can't for the life of me find it.

False reporting of rape is widely shown in the press; all these girls who say they were raped but there wasn't enough evidence are portrayed in the media as money-grabbing liars. The problem is the perception, and the inherent difficulties in proving the issue of consent, not the actual statistics.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    If it will make you feel better, and given the boards current focus on rape, I'll get in touch with the home office and get the figures from them on Monday - though I would expect them to be about the same.
    Any luck getting the figures from the Home Office or do we have to wait 20 working days as dictated by the FOI Act?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think they should be anonymous until conviction, to avoid this stigma.

Bit like the stigma you helped provoke in this thread . What a fool you are.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    Bit like the stigma you helped provoke in this thread.

*yawn*
  • Options
    Yes, your ABU posts are not just full of shit and prejudice, but they get incredibly boring too. But this is not the place for such talk.