Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

R.i.p

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
goodnight and godbless george best.
possibly the greates footgaller ever.

he's gonna be pissed off if he goes to heaven ...pissed up if he goes to hell.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't think he was dead yet.
  • Options
    Didn't think he was dead yet.
    will be before i get out of bed in the morning by the looks of it.

goodnight i'm off to my bed.
  • Options
    I feel sick thinking the best player that ever walked the pitch is nearly dead. It could have been prevented if he'd been sensible enough to stop when he got given a 2nd chance with a new liver transplant. Theres kids out there dying due to the lack of liver transplants they need to keep them living.

R.I.P George. :(
  • Options
  • Options
    It isn't really a case of being sensible about it - almost all alcoholics will continue drinking after a liver transplant because they physicallly need to. They're addicted after all...

Then they shouldn't be given a 2nd chance no matter how famous or rich they are!
  • Options
    He's still going at quarter to 9 (GMT+1) this morning...

Sad really :(
  • Options
    Then they shouldn't be given a 2nd chance no matter how famous or rich they are!
    Alcoholism is an illness...

But I agree, he should be given the same treatment as everybody else.

Unfortnately the world doesn't work that way.
  • Options
    hes been on borrowed time for ages. whats the big deal?
  • Options
    I feel sick thinking the best player that ever walked the pitch is nearly dead. It could have been prevented if he'd been sensible enough to stop when he got given a 2nd chance with a new liver transplant. Theres kids out there dying due to the lack of liver transplants they need to keep them living.

R.I.P George. :(

It isn't really a case of being sensible about it - almost all alcoholics will continue drinking after a liver transplant because they physicallly need to. They're addicted after all...

unfortunatly the rich and famous do sometimes get preferential treatment over others, its just the way the world works and it stucks.

Its his family I feel bad for now, sitting there watching and waiting, it must be so hard watching someone you love died espically when you know there is nothing you can do to help.

God bless George Best, one of the best footballers ever to play in this country. Its just a shame he wasted his life way after he retired from football. :(
  • Options
    he's gone now
  • Options
    im not a football fan so i havent a clue who he is
    by the sounds of it he wasted his second chance after a transplant....his own fault tbh :rolleyes:
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Unfortunately the world doesn't work...

True......
  • Options
    I don't know much about Football either - so what was it about him that everyone says was so good?

Did he break some footballing records during his day or was it just the style he played with?

They were showing some old photos of his in the newspapers and it looked like when he was young he had the world at his feet, .. money, fame, dating a miss world as well I think .. so what went wrong? Anyone got a short Biography on him?
  • Options
    My heart goes out to this family :(

R.I.P George
  • Options
    slow suicide
  • Options
    He's gone. RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad :( RIP
  • Options
    I don't know much about Football either - so what was it about him that everyone says was so good?
    He was the first footballer to be a press 'icon' I suppose. He's the man responsible for the modern day household name footballers such as Beckham. He was the first. Really ironic, as I've been reading his book recently.
    They were showing some old photos of his in the newspapers and it looked like when he was young he had the world at his feet, .. money, fame, dating a miss world as well I think .. so what went wrong? Anyone got a short Biography on him?
    He dated two missworlds actually, and pretty much every available or unavailable model around at some point.
    I can understand people saying it was his own fault, but he was the first of a kind, and didn't get any protection from the media. I once saw an article saying that if he had played for a major country such as Brazil, Argentina, England etc, he would have been without doubt recognised a sthe greatest footballer who ever lived. I can only really go off what I've seen on telly and what my Dad told me as I was growing up, but he was apparently the kind of player who you knew would probably do something amazing every time he got the ball. There's no one around like that nowadays!

Funniest story in his book was just after he'd quit playing and become a bit of an outcast in the press due to his drinking and womanising. He was in a penthouse suite of a posh hotel, in bed drinking champagne with the afforementioned Miss World. He'd just won 50 grand on the horses and on arrival back to the suite had thrown it all around the bedroom.

So there he is, beautiful woman, champagne, money etc, and the room service waiter knocks, opens the door, shakes his head, and said: "Where did it all go wrong, Mr Best" !!!!!
  • Options
    They think it's all over, it is now! RIP George. :(
  • Options

Did he break some footballing records during his day or was it just the style he played with?

I believe it is the style he played with, he stopped playing before I was born, but my dad says he was a good player and had the world at his feet but he enjoyed the playboy lifestyle too much.
  • Options
    Oh i didn't realise he had actually died. His poor family.
  • Options
    i know this thread was a few hours early but it was kind of obvious it was his last night ...to me anyway.

in an interview he once said ...'i've spent a fortune on fast cars women and booze ...the rest i just squandered.' ....what a guy!

EVERYONE ...deserves a second chance ...he got one ...he blew it.

it was the sixties and england had become the cultural centre of the universe ...fashion art literature music sex drugs ...george was there to do the same for sport.
    with his talent and good looks ...his lifestyle ...he became known as the fifth beatle.

realy nice bloke ...i hope they are going to cremate him ...up in flames as it were.
  • Options
    [QUOTE= whats the big deal?[/QUOTE]

The original football superstar.

"Most of the money i spent of booze and girls. I squanded the rest"

I can live with that, RIP George.
  • Options
    realy nice bloke ...i hope they are going to cremate him ...up in flames as it were.

he's gettin brought back to belfast and buried beside his mother i believe!

and RIP george best, a legend in every respect
    one of the few things our country can be proud of :)
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    im not a football fan so i havent a clue who he is
    by the sounds of it he wasted his second chance after a transplant....his own fault tbh :rolleyes:

Obviously don't know any alcoholics then? :rolleyes:

R.I.P. George. A true footballing legend.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    I can only really go off what I've seen on telly and what my Dad told me as I was growing up, but he was apparently the kind of player who you knew would probably do something amazing every time he got the ball. There's no one around like that nowadays!
    !!!!!

That's a lie.

Peter Crouch Amazes everyone when he gets the ball.
    How the f**k did he miss.
    how the f**k did he cost £7m
    how the f**k is he in the england squad
    how the f**k is he so tall?!
  • Options
    Well a man's a man....

I don't see how he was so special... How can a footballer inspire people to mourn collectively? Was he a great philanthropist too? Did he do a lot for the human race?

I really don't get this collective mourning... It just shows the power of the media over people's emotions.

Leave the tears to his family.
  • Options
    Well a man's a man....

I don't see how he was so special... How can a footballer inspire people to mourn collectively? Was he a great philanthropist too? Did he do a lot for the human race?

I really don't get this collective mourning... It just shows the power of the media over people's emotions.

Leave the tears to his family.
    moonrat ...i don't see any tears in this thread ...am i missing something?

looks more like raising a glass or three to a sporting and hellraising legend.

do you never meet people in real life who appear to be larger than life itself in some way?

if not i hope you do some day ...put some colour back in yer cheeks ya miserable sod.
  • Options
    RIP Mr BEST

My heart goes out to your family xxx
  • Options
    He should've got on the drugs instead. Better chance he'd still be alive and kicking.