Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Credit Cards

I would say alot of you have them.

I was wondering are they worth while having? I've been on moneysavingexpert.com and theres quite a few tips but it doesn't seem to give a list of the best credit cards.

I'm looking for one with 0% interest for 12 months. Coming up to christmas it would help a little.

Btw, I tried for the Halifax One card 12months 0% for 12 months and the declined me......... :confused: not sure why.

Cheers Guys. :thumb:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're looking specifically for one with a 0% interest deal, it suggests to me that you intend to spend beyond your means. That is not wise, and a credit card will not help you control your spending.
  • Options
    If one denied you its likely more will. Perhaps you either have no credit rating or a bad one?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If you're looking specifically for one with a 0% interest deal, it suggests to me that you intend to spend beyond your means. That is not wise, and a credit card will not help you control your spending.

Cheers mate. Tbh I'm looking one for over christmas... Moneys a little tight with trying to buy a new house and a new car.

Nice sig btw, Through trial to triumph.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    If one denied you its likely more will. Perhaps you either have no credit rating or a bad one?

I don't have a credit rating I think. I've never had credit for anything in my life. I've a loan out for a new car at the min thats it. I'm only 20. :confused:
  • Options
    Having a loan will give you a credit rating, have you always paid it on time?
  • Options
    Nice sig btw, Through trial to triumph.
    Good knowledge :thumb:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Having a loan will give you a credit rating, have you always paid it on time?

Well my first payment only came out today lol.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Good knowledge :thumb:

Cheers mate. You don't mind me using a similar idea in my sig?
  • Options
    Btw, I tried for the Halifax One card 12months 0% for 12 months and the declined me......... :confused: not sure why.

Cheers Guys. :thumb:

If you've been turned down for a card then you might need to try to apply for one that are more relaxed about requirements.

Barclaycard Initial is designed for this, but has a pretty high APR.
    Capital One might also offer a suitable card.

You may find that you're not able to get the good 0% deals without an established credit history.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    If you've been turned down for a card then you might need to try to apply for one that are more relaxed about requirements.

Barclaycard Initial is designed for this, but has a pretty high APR.
    Capital One might also offer a suitable card.

You may find that you're not able to get the good 0% deals without an established credit history.

Ok I'll try them mate, thanks.
  • Options
    Cheers mate. You don't mind me using a similar idea in my sig?
    Latin, language of kings. :D
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Latin, language of kings. :D

:yes: :D
  • Options
    :yes: :D
    Worst thing I ever done. Oh and catalogues. Stay away.
  • Options
    Worst thing I ever done. Oh and catalogues. Stay away.

Fully agreed.
  • Options
    i work for egg actually and i service the egg credit card.

We offer 0% on balance transfers and purchases til may next year and then after that every year in the month you opened your card you get the 0% again on any balance transfers you do.

Not bad really. We also do a new card called egg money - more for purchases...some strange guinea pig adverts are around at the min for it ....

Thats enough for bigging up where i work anyways.... :s
  • Options
    Ah I've got a credit card, It was handy when I spent the money, not so handy having to repay it though :no:

If you think you could be sensible with your money then go for it, It's very easy to just spend spend spend on it and make minimum repayments though :(
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:

We offer 0% on balance transfers and purchases til may next year and then after that every year in the month you opened your card you get the 0% again on any balance transfers you do.

Not bad really. We also do a new card called egg money - more for purchases...some strange guinea pig adverts are around at the min for it ....

They rejected me :(
  • Options
    They rejected me :(

Did you try any where else after you got rejected? If so did you get accepted?
  • Options
    Nope. I've been rejected by every one except the one with my bank.
  • Options
    i hopefully will never get one, though i realise when i'm older and have kids that i might need one! they may be a good idea as a short term loan but it's very easy to think you won't pay it off this month as you have other things you'd rather do. i've had 3 store cards (i'm 20), one of them is paid off though. store cards charge stupid interest (in the region of 29%), so wouldn't recommend them! also get landed with hefty late payment charges of £15-£18. catalogues..i've had one of them, but paid it off about a year and a half ago. anyway kind of drifting off now..

you should probably avoid getting a card if you can, getting in debt because of christmas isn't really worth it. people will understand if you can't afford to be very generous.
  • Options
    I was tricked into getting a credit card in Burtons. They told me it was just a "store discount card" Im phoning up to cancel it today.
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:

One question why the wired guinea pig adverts :confused: They are sort of funny in a strange way.
  • Options
    credit cards= bad. unless u pay the full balance each month
  • Options
    credit cards= bad. unless u pay the full balance each month

credit cards can be very dangerous, as people oftern forget that you have to pay them back, and they just don't have the money to do so. Debit cards are much better, as you can't spend more money then you actually have.
  • Options
    Credit card = Really Really bad

I got mine to use in emergencies. Now I have a big massive debt on it that's nearly crippling me... And it's not like I was frivilous with it- I mostly used it for food, petrol and accomodation while I was homeless. Whoah, I hate my credit card debt! Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it!