Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

petrol light

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when the red light comes on in your car that says your low on petrol, exactly how low are you? about how far could you go before you completely run out?

Comments

• Options
    Probably 10-15% of your tank, or enough to get you 20 miles or so. Best to avoid that situation though, especially in this weather.
  • Options
    i can do a day to work and back and then to the station so about 15miles maybe...altho ive never ran out. also i think it depends on what car..think some have a newer type of sensor, older ones use some balance mechanism thing
  • Options
    my petrol guage is broken so mine is generally on the red but i know i've got some in there and it's a bit scary! i keep a can of petrol in my car though just incase...

but yeh i heard you can do about 10-20 miles on red but like already said, not worth risking in this weather.
  • Options
    hmm.. well mine's been on for quite a while now so i guess i should put some in. what's the minimum amount you can put in? in terms of money? because i really can't afford to put much in until next week but i need to go somewhere tomorrow...
  • Options
    i keep a can of petrol in my car though just incase...
    With petrol in it? :eek2:
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    hmm.. well mine's been on for quite a while now so i guess i should put some in. what's the minimum amount you can put in? in terms of money? because i really can't afford to put much in until next week but i need to go somewhere tomorrow...
    2 litres minimum normally (£1.80). Tightwad.
  • Options
    hehe yep. perhaps not very wise.
  • Options
    No it's not (is it not smelly?), and petrol goes off after a while anyway. Use it and keep the can in the boot if you tend to run your car on petrol fumes.
  • Options
    seriously i don't want to spent more than £10 before next thursday so i can't afford to put much in!!
    but say if i didn't put any in and i ran out, what would i do? could i just phone the RAC and they'd sort it?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No it's not (is it not smelly?), and petrol goes off after a while anyway. Use it and keep the can if you run your car on petrol fumes.

no doesn't smell one bit..oh, how long before it goes off?
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    seriously i don't want to spent more than £10 before next thursday so i can't afford to put much in!!
    but say if i didn't put any in and i ran out, what would i do? could i just phone the RAC and they'd sort it?

i've just put £5 in before. and i think it'd be cheaper to just put some in than have the RAC come out!
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    You'd be a complete fool. The RAC man wouldn't be impressed and you'd pay over the odds for them to supply you with enough petrol to get you to a garage. Don't expect a lift home.

If you can't afford to use it, don't use it.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:

Lmao, Women... :lol:
  • Options
    no doesn't smell one bit..oh, how long before it goes off?
    Couple of months? Google it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Couple of months? Google it.

i won't be keeping it that long anyway, it's just incase. it's weird how a car can pass it's MOT with a broken petrol guage really.
  • Options
    i think i'll just go and put some in then :yes:
  • Options
    I recently bought a new car. So now you mention MOT, how long before its up? Is it 3 years or 4 years? Cheers Guys.
  • Options
    My gauge is broken I think, My sister says she's ran out of petrol in it before and it's never came on with a red light... I usually get paranoid about it running out once i'm below the quarter of a tank mark. The least u can dispense is usually 2 litres
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    i think i'll just go and put some in then :yes:

I reckon you better had. But cheers for the laugh. ;)
  • Options
    I reckon you better had. But cheers for the laugh. ;)

you're welcome :-p
    but actually i was only asking about the RAC because i was under the impression that as i pay to be a member then they'd fix things for free... but im clearly wrong! i really do need to learn more about cars...
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    you're welcome :-p
    but actually i was only asking about the RAC because i was under the impression that as i pay to be a member then they'd fix things for free... but im clearly wrong! i really do need to learn more about cars...

:yes:
  • Options
    If the problem is lack of petrol, they're not going to give you a freebie are they? If they did, I'd be ringing them up every Sunday night.
  • Options
    ah yes.. good point! i really should have thought before typing :blush:
  • Options
    I recently bought a new car. So now you mention MOT, how long before its up? Is it 3 years or 4 years? Cheers Guys.

It's 3 years.

As for how far the red light will get you, that depends entirely on the individual car.
  • Options
    red light is usualy about a gallon ...so it depends what it does to the gallon.
    fuel guage doesn't count as part of the mot.
    living in rural areas everyone carrys a spare can full.
    a break down service charge around £35 to come out to you with a gallon.