Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clothes sizes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Randomgirl wrote:
    They are clearly all designed for fat mingers.

• Options
    The thing to consider is that standard sizing really isn't all its cracked up to be anyway. How many people are a standard of any size? I'm not. I'm 6'0 but with 29" inside leg and wide hipbones- can I get trousers to fit, course I can't. I can't get a lot of tops to fit either because they're not long enough. And it isn't just because I'm carrying a bit of excess baggage.

There's nothing wrong with running sizes big so long as the smaller people are catered for too. The shape of people has changed since the 50s, and sizing needs to keep up with that- fewer women are the traditional hourglass figure anymore, for instance. Hip bones have got wider, and busts have got bigger, and that's not just because people are carrying more weight now.

And not all shops do it anyway. Morgan seem to run their sizes very small, and Topshop were always buggers for that too. Some shops cater for small frames, like Morgan, and some shops don't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Morgan seem to run their sizes very small, and Topshop were always buggers for that too. Some shops cater for small frames, like Morgan, and some shops don't.

:yes:

I consider myself to be an average size (neither fat nor thin) yet i have no chance of ever buying clothes from places like morgan or topshop

not that i'd want to anyway; the clothes are overpriced and mostly hideous
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Kermit, did you consider keeping that character assessment to yourself? You really should have. I have no issue with you commenting on the sentiment, but you went too far.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And not all shops do it anyway. Morgan seem to run their sizes very small, and Topshop were always buggers for that too. Some shops cater for small frames, like Morgan, and some shops don't.

even topshop have jumped on the bandwagon :

http://www.soesteem.co.uk/news&info.htm (september 2005 part)

i have no problem with them doing this in principle - i'm all for people feeling good about themselves, and don't personally have an issue with 'fat mingers' - but they are no longer catering for small people. if they bumped all the sizes up and then introduced sizes 2 and 4, then it would be fine.

i have issues finding clothes to fit these days. To be fair i am underweight, and don't look that fab, but there are people the same size as me naturally, and they must have a total nightmare.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    even topshop have jumped on the bandwagon :

I had heard that they had, which is why I said they used to be buggers for it. Anything over a 12 used to be impossible to find in there.
    i have no problem with them doing this in principle - i'm all for people feeling good about themselves, and don't personally have an issue with 'fat mingers' - but they are no longer catering for small people. if they bumped all the sizes up and then introduced sizes 2 and 4, then it would be fine.

Definitely. It's only a number.

Shops should cater for small and big alike. Everyone seems fixated that women are getting bigger, but a lot aren't. I'm pleased that they are catering for bigger sizes now, but it would bother me if smaller girls were ignored because of it.
    i have issues finding clothes to fit these days. To be fair i am underweight, and don't look that fab, but there are people the same size as me naturally, and they must have a total nightmare.

The problem with High Street fashion is that they make their clothes to such a rigid standard cut.

Like with the jeans; have a big bum and you look crap in any High Street jeans, and have a really small bum and you look crap in them. If you're tall and broad you're screwed, same if you're small and narrow.

I have horrendous trouble getting clothes to fit, because so many tops are too short and so many trousers are too long. It doesn't help that I have naturally broad shoulders; admittedly, the fact I'm a bit overweight doesn't help either.

LadyJade: if other people are going to bandy about deeply offensive terms, then I'm going to give it back to them. I found the character assessment to be very accurate if the poster feels that terms like "fat minger" are acceptable on a message board with a high number of people with eating disorders.

And I won't retract it either. If the poster wants to use deeply offensive terms to and about vulnerable people, then she is proving that my assessment was accurate and fair.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    She is proving nothing of the sort. You have an issue with her, leave it off the boards.
  • Options
    hmm well ive noticed that topshop don't have many size 8s atm. everything i want to buy only seems to be in a size 10 and above. could just be that all the size 8s have sold out i guess...
  • Options
    ive noticed during sales and stuff....all the 8-12s go first so by the time i get there theres only usually 1 tiny size 6 left thats a wee bit too small and then 14s and overs which are waaaay too big!
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    She is proving nothing of the sort. You have an issue with her, leave it off the boards.

No issue with her.

Lots of issues with what she said. Given what the demographic of the website is, and everything.

Mind, there are enough people who say that on here. Quite funny the last one that had to come crawling back saying she'd put weight on though.
  • Options
    Its not excess weight that defines how 'fat' someone is. You could look at it from appearance, clothes sizes and weight.
  • Options
    i think topshop are awful at the moment for sizing. the problem is that alot fo the tops they are selling are of a baggyish style and a size 8 (which fits me perfectly in the standard vest tops) is too big for me. i can never find a size 6 in there either.

the good thing about miss selfridge is, although they do have big sizing, they always have plenty of size 6s.
  • Options
    I have just re-read what I wrote and realise that it reads offensively, I'm sorry. But seriously it just shows how much more sensitive everyone is to fattest remarks that thinnest remarks. I mean terms like "skinny cow" get bashed around all the time, I get called it frequently and no-one seems to think its offensive. Thin people get told to put on a pound or two by anyone but if you tell a fat person to lose a pound or two then the response is quite different.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i dont know where you get the idea that it is socially ok to make fun of skinny people!

Have you read any women's glossy magazine recently? They are full of articles bad mouthing slim celebs (who weight more than me) staying look how ugly so-and-so has become, didn't she look better when she weighed a couple of stone more.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I have just re-read what I wrote and realise that it reads offensively, I'm sorry.

Fair enough. S'all OK:)
    But seriously it just shows how much more sensitive everyone is to fattest remarks that thinnest remarks. I mean terms like "skinny cow" get bashed around all the time, I get called it frequently and no-one seems to think its offensive. Thin people get told to put on a pound or two by anyone but if you tell a fat person to lose a pound or two then the response is quite different.

I don't think it does.

I'm just as offended by people who make comments about thin people. I never used to be, and I'm sure some kind soul will dig up a derogatory remark I've made about the fashion industry and its choice of models.

Being too thin or too fat is bad for you. I think fat people get just as much abuse. But the problem is that being thin is seen as desirable, and so there isn't the same stigma as there is with fatness. Perhaps there should be, but there isn't. Calling someone thin hasn't the same stigma as calling someone fat.

But this is about the clothes.

There's nowt wrong with sizing big, it's only a number. If small people aren't catered for then its not so good, but I really don't think it's such a big problem. Try getting a nice bra in a DD cup ahead of a B or a C cup, for instance.

Anyone who is outside of the "average" suffers in High Street shops. Some cater more for smaller people, like Morgan, and some cater for bigger, like M&S or Evans. Most cater for neither.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There's nowt wrong with sizing big, it's only a number. If small people aren't catered for then its not so good, but I really don't think it's such a big problem. Try getting a nice bra in a DD cup ahead of a B or a C cup, for instance.
    I'm a 28E. This is why Bravissimo exists :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I'm a 28E. This is why Bravissimo exists :)

Now they are good for those with big boobies.

And they do very small back sizes too.

All shops should be like Bravissimo :yes:

I'd also like to apologise for losing my temper. I've just heard terms like that so many times, and it is a touchy subject.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If small people aren't catered for then its not so good, but I really don't think it's such a big problem.
    When I buy trousers from New Look I have to buy from the 915 range. What's more I take an aged 12. I am an adult, I'm 21. I don't want to wear children's clothes. Tops aren't such as problem for me but I find it deeply upseting that I can't find nice trousers, in particular work trousers. I'm not *too* thin in the medical sense, I am a health weight for my frame.

I hate things claiming to be for "real" women i.e. women who are larger as it implies that I am not a real woman.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I'd also like to apologise for losing my temper. I've just heard terms like that so many times, and it is a touchy subject.
    That's ok. I didn't read it before
    you edited it anyway but I can imagine what it said. At least your honest.
  • Options
    I hate womens sizes! Mens sizes are so easy!!

From one shop to another I can be 3 sizes different! :mad:
  • Options
    Generally when I try on clothes I take a both a 16 and an 18 to try on. I go by what feels and looks ok when it's on, rather than what size it is.

A few years ago, when I was in years 10 and 11 in school I could never find clothes to fit. New Look did jeans that fit, but that was about it. I used to hate trying on clothes, and clothes shopping in general because it made my low esteem even lower. Topshop and Morgan would never go above a size 14. I'd look through catalogues and see nice things, then check the sizing which would go something like:
    XS = 6
    S = 8
    M = 10
    L = 12
    XL = 14
    Which made me feel crap. Now there are loads more clothes for bigger people, which is good. TBH I don't pay any attention to small clothes, since they don't fit!

But ... there should be clothes for everybody. Nobody (with the exception of naturists) wants to walk about naked.
  • Options
    to all my size six women- Jist is the way forward!

Jist! I am wearing a pair of size six trousers by Jist and they're a perfect fit. Only problem- they're total skater trousers! I wonder whether they do more formal styles???JIST