Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wow... the country still exists this morning!

Against all predictions Great Britain has survived the night after the new drinking laws where introduced and pubs were allowed to serve alcohol for longer.

Tens of thousands of binge drinkers and yobs were nowhere to be seen terrorising town centres, urinating on doorsteps and disturbing the locals.

A & E departments across the nation reported thousands of casualties suffering from hypothermia, cuts and bruises, alcohol poisoning and fight-related injuries had failed to materialise.

Police stations up and down the land recorded their highest ever number of non-arrests and non-existent reports of disturbances.

Businesses reported as much as 0% of their workforce had called in sick due to excessive drinking.

An spokesman for the Conservative Party said: "this is what we have been predicting all along. Britain is on meltdown. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to my Club for a quick one."
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :lol:
  • Options
    Actually, isnt the first night tonight?

The legislation kicked in at midnight, but the pubs should have shut and kicked people out at 11pm. Did loads of people stand about outside for an hour before being let back in?
  • Options
    Funny you mention that. I read somewhere that the police did not know whether they should force pubs to close for an hour, since the legislation only came to be at midnight. At the end I think they turned a blind eye.

For many pubs with extended opening hours tonight will be the first night, but for some others (in particular the 24 hour ones) the taps have been running all night.
  • Options
    Hehehe, very good!

budda... I heard that one pub in London only served softdrinks and cups of tea/coffee (on the house) from 11-12, then re-opened the "bar" at 00:01 till 3am which was the license it had been granted.

On a serious note, is more money going to be wasted sending police into bars/clubs/restaurants that are open late to check their licences?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    For many pubs with extended opening hours tonight will be the first night, but for some others (in particular the 24 hour ones) the taps have been running all night.

If you take out the supermarkets there are actually very very few 24 hour licences. There just isnt the demand, who wants to drink at 9am on a Wednesday?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you take out the supermarkets there are actually very very few 24 hour licences. There just isnt the demand, who wants to drink at 9am on a Wednesday?

Isn't it Thursday?

[/pedant]

;)
  • Options
    In the long run I do think that 24 hour drinking laws wil lbe a good thing, but I am sure at frist there will be cases where the level of drunken disorder occuring wil lrise while everyone adjusts to the laws.

Unfortunalty as soon as a single extra person above the national average gets arrested I can hear those opposed screaming the house down
  • Options
    Eul Grepus wrote:
    Isn't it Thursday?

[/pedant]

;)

And its way past 9am, whats your point? I was just using the time and day as an example.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, not the right time for a pint.

Mind, a few nightshift workers would probably fancy one. There has always been a pub with a especially granted 24 hour license in one of the London meat markets (can't remember which one) and one of my friends was always trying to gatecrash it when he fancied a pint at 5 am.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And its way past 9am, whats your point? I was just using the time and day as an example.

Thought you were using first thing this morning as an example... my mistake.
  • Options
    No, it doesn't. :wave:

Yoink!
  • Options
    LOL... the second I posted the thread I thought 'mmm klintock will have something to say about the title'.
  • Options
    Depends how fast your perceptions are moving.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    No, it doesn't. :wave:

Yoink!

Well, strictly speaking, the country as such does not exist.

But I think we all know what is meant... OR DO WE?! :shocking:
  • Options
    smithfield market in manchester has always had a 24hr licence ....very handy when i was a speed freak.
    J ...it aint going to happen ok.

the only bad thing about it is the death of an ancient british tradition ...the lock in.
  • Options
    Lock-ins might still occur though... many pubs have not applied for extended hours or have got just the extra hour. If there are no other boozers that open late nearby there'll be just as much demand for lock-ins in some places as there is now.