Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Centralisation, technology and "democracy"

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this is a complete non-sequiter

Sorry no idea what you mean.
    Errrr...no.

Oh, so the bank has to just hand over cash regardless of the crackpot idea you come up with? Bunnies.
    Its a load of free market guff.

Jesus. Ignore that bit and look at the bit about how a bank operates.
    So there is no reason why prices average out to a particular value? Errr...ok.

Glad you agree.
    Doesn't matter how many times you assert it, it still won't make it true.

Snap for the "labour creates prices" crap. Except, of course that I am right. :lol:
    More non-sequiters. Why is the price of water going up? Nothing to do with having to put more money into infrastructure according to you.

That's right. The price of water is going up because the value of "money" is plummeting like a frigging stone.
    Changes in supply and demand, new technologies, changes in labour market. Many reasons.

SO I am right then? :confused:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Sorry no idea what you mean.

Non-sequitur
    klintock wrote:
    Oh, so the bank has to just hand over cash regardless of the crackpot idea you come up with? Bunnies.

No, that's not what I said either. Please try and be at least a little bit honest in debate.

klintock wrote:
    Jesus. Ignore that bit and look at the bit about how a bank operates.

Glad you agree.

Someone removed your sarcasm detector?
    klintock wrote:
    Snap for the "labour creates prices" crap. Except, of course that I am right. :lol:

That's right. The price of water is going up because the value of "money" is plummeting like a frigging stone.

No, didn;t think you'd actually be able to admit anything that actually happens in the real world.
    klintock wrote:
    SO I am right then? :confused:

Your problem is that you don't actually know anything about what you're arguing against, making this utterly pointless.
  • Options
    >sigh<

Still no idea what you mean.
    No, that's not what I said either. Please try and be at least a little bit honest in debate.

So the bank gets to deide who it gives it's money to, meaning that it has to have the final say in whether a business starts up or not. Simple, neh?
    Someone removed your sarcasm detector?

And yours by the looks of it. :lol:
    No, didn;t think you'd actually be able to admit anything that actually happens in the real world.

Look, if you have made your operation more efficient then prices come down, they don't go up.
    Your problem is that you don't actually know anything about what you're arguing against, making this utterly pointless.

I don't tend to understand made up stuff, it's true. I know fictional shit when I clap eyes on it though. As in labour cost has anything to do with prices. Have another reason why not -

Under your idea, over time money would become worth more. It obviously doesn't.
  • Options
    You're just making up random crap now. Money would become worth more! Errr...yeah klintock. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You're just making up random crap now. Money would become worth more! Errr...yeah klintock :rolleyes:

Why do you think it wouldn't?

It always has in every economy on earth. It's just the rule of things. Perhaps you are confusing fiat currency with money.
  • Options
    Yes klintock. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    right, anyway.

I was thinking about this this morning while stuck in traffic. (Bloody radio's broken)

And I was thinking about why you would think the LTV is reasonable when it seems so mad to me.

See, I think that the interest rate sets prices in our economy.

I think that prices would be spontaneously created in a capitalist economy by the actions of people trading.

From the point of view of the whole economy, a profit and loss can be made. We can have more stuff than we had last year, or some disaster could mean we had less. From the point of view of the LTV theory though, profit is only the redistribution of wealth from poorest to richest. Which is again arse about face. It's the profit that creates the two sides of the coin in itself, because wealth is always relative.

Why does there have to be profit?

To pay the banks back the interest. This interest rate can never be repaid because it was never present in the economy to start with. If there's 1000 pounds in the economy and I've borrowed 100 pounds at 5% I have to either get someone elses cash (thereby making them poorer and the bank richer but me the same) or have to give the bank some of my goods and all the money I do have left on me and have nothing for myself.

Which the bank will lend out again to someone else. Who will have to make a profit to pay them back.

It gets worse when you realise that the bank is lending money out that it doesn't have, that never existed and wants interest on top of. Currently there is a tiny fraction of fiat currency in circulation compared to all the ledger entries claiming that there is money in the vaults. I think we are currently running around 10% liquid cash to deposits for most uk banks, but it's hard to get details on it for obvious reasons.

Top question for your credit card company -

"If I don't pay you back, what will your loss be?"
  • Options
    i can't be arsed with the rest of your guff, but this...
    klintock wrote:
    From the point of view of the LTV theory though, profit is only the redistribution of wealth from poorest to richest.

...requires comment.

From the point of view of the LTV, profit is not redistribution of wealth. It is accumulation of surplus value.

As I said klitock - if you're going to argue against something, at least educate yourself about it.
  • Options
    From the point of view of the LTV, profit is not redistribution of wealth. It is accumulation of surplus value.

Between which groups?

I already dismissed the idea that things have a value when they are not being traded. Value is a function of trade, nothing else. (Or at least measurable value)
  • Options
    Seeing as can't even understand the most basic ideas of LTV, its pointless discussing it with you.
  • Options
    Seeing as can't even understand the most basic ideas of LTV, its pointless discussing it with you.

Yeah sorry, I am shite at abstraction. Fact is, I read the article half a dozen times and it matches none of my experiences, what I know about banking, trade or human behaviour in general. It's tough to understand jabberwocky too. Of course because it doesn't make any sense, I reject it totally.

What do mean by "guff", btw? Shall I make a thread about how banking really works then?

Everything I have stated about the banks is factually accurate. If you have more facts that I don't have, please share them with me.
  • Options
    Everything you have said about banks is filtered through your wacky ideas about human behaviour and free trade.
  • Options
    Everything you have said about banks is filtered through your wacky ideas about human behaviour and free trade.

No, it's all factually accurate. It's one of the places where my "wacky ideas" come from.
  • Options
    Yes, klintock. Like your "fact" that countries don't exist.
  • Options
    Yes, klintock. Like your "fact" that countries don't exist.

Well, that is factually accurate. It's been done to death though.

Look, do you have any factual evidence that says banks don't operate this way?

1) Banks do not lend money, they create it. Hence - inflation.

2) Most bank deposits are merely ledger entries. Only around 10-11% of the total cash needed to cover all of all banks liabilities (both sides of the book) is actually in existence, never mind in the sodding vaults.

3) Banknotes are promissory notes that don't entitle you to anything, hence they are promises for nothing. They only get value through them being the only currency the "State" will accept in payment.

4) Both the US and the UK have been bankrupt for at least a generation. The value of the dollar, for example, is kept afloat because it's the only currency you can buy oil in.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    The value of the dollar, for example, is kept afloat because it's the only currency you can buy oil in.

An intersting fact is, if Russia stopped unoffically using the Dollar, the value would crash and the US would be fucked, the Dollar would be worth litteraly nothing.

However, the chances of that happening are pointlesley slim.
  • Options
    Saddam stopped using the dollar a few weeks before they started rumbling about invasion.

Tell you anything?

Anyway, Russia IS going to stop trading oil in dollars, it's going for Euro's instead.

http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2003/10/10/cnoil10.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2003/10/10/ixfrontcity.html
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    Anyway, Russia IS going to stop trading oil in dollars, it's going for Euro's instead.

No, I mean, if they stopped using the dollar for EVERYTHING.

And let's not forget International Crime props up the dollar - Crime trade is all in Dollars.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Between which groups?

I already dismissed the idea that things have a value when they are not being traded. Value is a function of trade, nothing else. (Or at least measurable value)
    they have potential value
  • Options
    they have potential value

Well, that's just it......they might do and they might not. Until you actually sell something, you don't know what it's going to sell for, or at all.

This is part of the much bigger human problem of lazy thinking.

Man swims once - he's been swimming

Man swims thirty times and suddenly he's a swimmer Even when he's not, you know, when he's walking, or sitting or something.

This ability to give things characteristics that they currently don't have is both cool (because it let's people think they are nice people when they aren't being for example) and shit (it let's people think they are nice people when they aren't being for example.)

It's a fucking disaster when you for example, build a whole semi-religious political dogma around one of these verb/noun fuck ups.

Blagsta thinks the LTV is "all that" because of a simple flaw right at the start, one that I don't do and prevents me from even knowing what the fuck he's talking about. I then go on and talk about the real world and Blagsta is left talking about a tiny moment like it's always true.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Well, that's just it......they might do and they might not.
    yes mate ...so it has potential value.

by your reckoning a boulder sunbathing and minding it's own bizz on the edge of a cliff ...would not have potential energy ...it does have ...not it might have it might not have.
  • Options
    by your reckoning a boulder sunbathing and minding it's own bizz on the edge of a cliff ...would not have potential energy ...it does have ...not it might have it might not have.

No it has no energy until it moves. Another cool thing about humans is that we can imagine things that never happened, will never happen or of course, will happen in a given set of circumstances.

As a wonderful example, I will bet you a squillion pounds that in order for you to imagine that boulder having potential energy, you imagine it falling in your mind, then put back on top of that cliff.

Until it moves, it has no energy, while it moves, it has energy. Once it stops it has no energy again. You may as well look at the whole thing backwards and say all the rocks at the bottom of cliffs sunbathing have "prior" energy. It's divorced from reality totally.
  • Options
    i chuckled when i read that ...but thats why it's called friggin potential!
    ...and maybe prior shoould be replaced with spent.
  • Options
    i chuckled when i read that ...but thats why it's called friggin potential!
    ...and maybe prior shoould be replaced with spent

Right! :lol:

What Blagsta's theory (to put in boulder terms) says is that it's the potential energy that creates the boulder in the first place. At least as far as I can tell, it's utter gibberish to me.
  • Options
    i think you skipped your physics classes.
  • Options
    i think you skipped your physics classes.

My physics classes were wrong.

Did you know that scientists searched for the substance heat for centuries before some bright spark noticed that although heat is a noun, in reality it's actually a process?
  • Options
    You can safely ignore klintock - he thinks that prices "spontaneously arise" and have nothing to do with how much it costs to produce something. He also thinks that countries don't exist. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    As opposed to Blagsta who thinks that if you make something for a million quid you are autmoatically going to sell it for more than that, regardless of your customers.

Oh, and countries don't exist.

Have a view from space.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.astro.psu.edu/~bmiller/astro11/pics/earth_from_space.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.astro.psu.edu/~bmiller/astro11/pics/handout.html&h=1000&w=1018&sz=137&tbnid=bLWh6bOAMfkJ:&tbnh=146&tbnw=149&hl=en&start=20&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dearth%2Bfrom%2Bspace%2B%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

See any lines on it denoting territories? I don't. Why?

Because they aren't there.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As opposed to Blagsta who thinks that if you make something for a million quid you are autmoatically going to sell it for more than that, regardless of your customers.

Except, of course, you're being dishonest again and deliberately misrepresenting what I said.
    klintock wrote:

Yes, most people understand abstraction klintock.
  • Options
    Yes, most people understand abstraction klintock.

Oh for the love of god. I never said you couldn't create such abstractions, only that they weren't real. Seems pretty important in, say, a court where it's all supposed to have an evidential basis using facts. Add in a burden of proof on the other party and we have a recipe for amusement.

Abstract noun - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_noun
    An abstract noun is a noun that refers to an idea, emotion, feeling, or quality that cannot be detected by the five senses (touch, taste, hearing, sight, smell), compared with a concrete noun.

Given that there is no evidence for the existence of a country it cannot be said to be factually true or in existence at all.