Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"Minister, we haven't got any jabs left..."

Click here for the story.

Government ministers. They are amazing, aren't they? For months, they've been telling people to get the flu jab. Not in the high risk group? Doesn't matter, go ahead, we've got plenty of stock! One month ago, Patricia Hewitt, Health Secretary, confidently stated there were loads of them ready and waiting. Worried about bird flu? Don't worry, come and get the jab! Roll up, roll up for your flu jabs, everyone!

So, following this jamboree, what has happened? The Government has now announced - er, actually, we're running a bit short now. Dr David Salisbury, head of immunisation at the Department of Health, (or DoH - what an appropriate name that seems) said "Use what vaccine you have wisely and use it for people with high risk factors who should be your priority" to GPs.

Who's to blame? A government that couldn't run a kids tea party? No, GPs are to blame! That's right, they've immunised too many. This when they were told there were fucking millions and millions of them!

And after expensive advertising campaigns to raise awareness, did anyone in government think "oh, maybe we'd better order more this year to be on the safe side."? Did they fuck! Another cock-up from the government. Whose going to pay for this? Why, only the people in the "high-risk" groups, who might pay for it potentially with their lives. Why can't this government get anything right?!?! :banghead: :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    For months, they've been telling people to get the flu jab. Not in the high risk group? Doesn't matter, go ahead, we've got plenty of stock!

No they haven't. They've been telling people in the risk group to have the jab, just as they do every year. There is no suggestion that everyone should have the jab because a) it isn't suitable for everyone and b) there would never be enough to go around.

The difference this year is that more people are actually coming forward, because the idiots think it will protect them from Brid Flu.

Some are even abusing their GP because he won't give it to them if they aren't in the risk group. I've seen parents of 18 month old kids harrassing their surgery because they are being refused "protection from Bird Flu, how could you do that to kids"...
    Who's to blame? A government that couldn't run a kids tea party? No, GPs are to blame! That's right, they've immunised too many.

Not far wrong. GPs thought that they would need as much as previous years, so only arranged from same amount of vaccine. Manufacturer therefore only makes as much as is ordered.

Because so many people have come forward there isn't enough at the moment.
    And after expensive advertising campaigns to raise awareness, did anyone in government think "oh, maybe we'd better order more this year to be on the safe side."? Did they fuck! Another cock-up from the government.

Erm... the GPs order the vaccine direct. HM Govt doesn't get involved.

Also worth noting that the drug costs the GP a couple of quid, they get more than that back from the NHS because we pay for prescription price (about £5 more) plus £7.50 for each person they vaccinate...
    Whose going to pay for this? Why, only the people in the "high-risk" groups, who might pay for it potentially with their lives.

Possibly, but considering that more will be available soon...

Oh, as an aside this sort of thing happens every year. Last year the suppliers caused a delay in the start of the programme...
    Why can't this government get anything right?!?! :banghead: :mad:

Why can't the media report the facts rather than just what fits a story :banghead: :mad:
    GPs make money on the vaccination programme but would be reluctant to over-order flu vaccine because they would lose out on any they didn't flog to the punters.
    Indeed, I should have made that clear.

GPs would not want to have to store unwanted drugs and the NHS would not pay them for vaccinating someone outside of the risk group...
    Just a note of warning to my UK friends about flu vaccines. If you get yourself or your kids the jab, be sure to ask the GP whether the particular vaccine he/she is using contains Thimerosal.

Thimerosal is 50% mercury by weight and the pharma industry along with the EPA and other supposed protective agencies have been trying to sell the US public the lie that there is absolutely no risk.
    Just a note of warning to my UK friends about flu vaccines. If you get yourself or your kids the jab, be sure to ask the GP whether the particular vaccine he/she is using contains Thimerosal.

Thimerosal is 50% mercury by weight and the pharma industry along with the EPA and other supposed protective agencies have been trying to sell the US public the lie that there is absolutely no risk.
    I think you'd have to speak to the manufacturer to get that information.
    No, the doctor should be fully versed on the ingredients in the vaccines he/she dispenses. If not, I wouldnt advise trusting that GP to inject anything into you or your children.

You can of course check the web for lists of known vaccines containing thimerosal.

http://www.thimerosal-news.com/

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm

http://www.immunize.org/safety/thimerosal.htm
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I got one. Bloody parents made me get one... gah, I hate injections.

Once again, shows how well prepared we are for everything. Ho hum, if Bird Flu hits here, we'll be up shit creak. Guarantee they won't bother with a vaccine until people start to die, and even then there will not be enough.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I got one. Bloody parents made me get one... gah, I hate injections.

Once again, shows how well prepared we are for everything. Ho hum, if Bird Flu hits here, we'll be up shit creak. Guarantee they won't bother with a vaccine until people start to die, and even then there will not be enough.
    there is no vaccine against bird flu ...ok?
    I went in to book mine today, and they asked me so many questions about whether I was eligible to get one. Now I know why.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    there is no vaccine against bird flu ...ok?

I hope they are trying to make one?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    they can't realy make one until there is something to make one against and seeing as yet bird flu hasn't mutated to a form which will jump from person to prerson a wee bit difficult.
    Has to jump from birds to people before worrying about person to person, Rolly.
    No, the doctor should be fully versed on the ingredients in the vaccines he/she dispenses. If not, I wouldnt advise trusting that GP to inject anything into you or your children.
    I challenge you to find even one GP in this country who could tell you about the ingredients of the flu vaccine.

That appears to have happened in some cases.
    edited...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Nash wrote:
    That appears to have happened in some cases.

Clandy will probably have you believe it hasn't, and is infact one big government conspiracy.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Clandy will probably have you believe it hasn't, and is infact one big government conspiracy.

lol I understand.
    Kentish wrote:
    I challenge you to find even one GP in this country who could tell you about the ingredients of the flu vaccine.
    Your kidding right? I fucking know the ingredients in a Vaccination, crippled virus's.
    The mercury is a preservative, and it is being linked with Autism when used on infants and toddlers.
    Government scaremongering perhaps but no "conspiracy" necessary here.

Nice attempt at humour though Skive. Keep trying.
    Scruffy wrote:
    Your kidding right? I fucking know the ingredients in a Vaccination, crippled virus's.
    The mercury is a preservative, and it is being linked with Autism when used on infants and toddlers.

Its not just the dead virus though, in the flu jab there is actually a little anti-biotic too.

But it's done it 47 times in the world!

The Bird Flu and SARS will kill us all!
    LOL. Best wrap yourself in plastic wrap and duct tape then Kermy!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    There is no vaccine against bird flu. To make one, they will have to see if it can affect humans. When it does, a vaccine can be made, but it will take at least six months to make it and by then, it'll be too late. As I pointed out at the start, the flu jab does NOT protect against bird flu, inaccuracy in press reporting can give a different impression. What I find terribly unedifying though is the way the government is so desperate to blame everyone else, and the blame game that's happening. What I say to the health service and the government is "shut up and sort the problem out".
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What I say to the health service and the government is "shut up and sort the problem out".

You don't think that is happening anyway?

Thing is the problem exists already so anything they do now is after the fact. BTW Another thing not mentioned in the press is that the orders for this vaccination were placed in December... that's how much lead time the manufacturers asked for so tha they could make the 14m doses which were believed to be needed...
    i have a very weak immune system, i've nearly always got something up with me and i've been like this since i had glandular fever a few years ago :(
    don't suppose i'll be eligable to get one though, especially now they've gone and used them all up anyway.