Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how relevent is the final result?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
right. im nearly halfway through my 3rd year graphics/photography degree.

will it matter if i come out of uni with a 2:2?

i fucked up my second year a bit, and it counts as a third of my final mark. the work i handed in gained b grades, (60+%). it was the work i didnt want to do/ had no interest in that brought the mark down. basicly, i fucked up, and i now need to get high b's, in EVERY module, to achieve a final grade of 2:1 (or a B, whatever you want to call it).

ive always been the kid with the most potential. i achieved b's all round in gcse with no effort, because i didnt see the point in putting extra effort into getting a's when i didnt think it really mattered. (so far, it hasn't mattered).

am i being naive in thinking that it will almost be irrevelant what the actual grade is, if im showing a possible employer a decent portfolio of work (mostly produced after graduation)?

(Also, by the time i do actually try to 'enter the industry', it will be about 18 months after i graduate, after working manual labour for a year, and 6 months in japan, working / photographing.)

thanks for reading, please post your opinions. especially if you think im being a dick.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your final grading only really matters to you.... it's your choice if your willing to put in the extra effort for 6 months or so and get what you think you deserve or to settle for what you got.

Personally, you've gone to university to study this and you know you can do better. So I'd say prove it. Throw yourself into it, in the grand scheme of things, 6 months is not a large amount of your life.
    There is quite a big difference in people's view between a 2.2 and a 2.1, work that extra bit harder.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Your final grading only really matters to you.... it's your choice if your willing to put in the extra effort for 6 months or so and get what you think you deserve or to settle for what you got.

Personally, you've gone to university to study this and you know you can do better. So I'd say prove it. Throw yourself into it, in the grand scheme of things, 6 months is not a large amount of your life.

I completely agree with this. If you know that you worked your ass off to get the grade that you finally achieve then you will be far more confident in trying to persuade an employer that you are committed to your subjecy after you've left. In terms of job hunting afterwards - you never really stop working - persistance is the key. As for 2:2/2:1 - I think the job market is getting ever competitive, but I have friends who are extremely successful journalists, artists, designers, social workers and teachers who all got a 2:2.
    a lot of the graduate job ads i see ask for 2.1 or above, 2.2 doesn't really cut it with some employers, especially blue chip companies, but maybe that's just i.t. i dunno i'm just glad i got a 2.1........
    if you're capable of getting a 2:1 then aim for that, no point in aiming for anything lower than you can achieve. just do your best, it's all you can do afterall. :)
    I haven't been held back so far with a 2:2, but then I have no interest in going to one of the crappy City firms.

A 2:1 would be better for you, but you should be happy with any result gained from you doing your best. The 2:2 for me was the best I could have hoped for because of personal difficulties, so I'm happy with it.
    yeah, i'd say you've all hit the mark there.

i reckon any idiot taking this course could 'complete' the work, but it takes extra some time and effort to make something good. i just need to pull my finger out.

thanks for the opinions so far.

does anyone have any experience with art+design related degrees / portfolios, and prospective employers?