Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Women 'deserve' to be raped

The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people has found that 1/4 of people questioned said that the woman is at least partially responsible for being drunk or wearing skimpy clothes.

Grim indeed. That and the arrest and conviction rates are beyond a bad joke.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4453820.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wonder if they'd think the same had the poll been on male rape ...
    Im very sceptical about this having worked in Market research the answers can depend on the way the questions asked, the "linking script" ie the expalnation givern before the question, I coul;d write a questionaire that wouldproduce a higher responce.

Was it Quentin Hann the snooker player who was accused of rape when the girl admitted consenting to sitting astride him both naked and masterbating him, then she claimes she was raped.
    Well if I outlined that sinaro to someone then said,

"do you feel that in this instance the girl would by her actions carry at least some partial responsibility for the rape"

Most people would say yes,

Unless I get to see a list of all the questions and statments asked im afraid I dont beleive this.
    in a signifigant minority cases of reported 'date rape' id have to suspect some of them we're just the girl completly bladdered and making a bad decsion and having a bad time, which doesn't constitute rape

however gruesome this sounds, after the Yes PM thing conducting a poll i kind of don't trust it for being truly random
    in cases of reported 'date rape' id have to suspect some of them we're just the girl completly bladdered and making a bad decsion and having a bad time, which doesn't constitute rape

however gruesome this sounds, after the Yes PM thing conducting a poll i kind of don't trust it for being truly random

The yes PM thing was clever but not realy the way it operates its more the phrasing of the question the linking script.

eg

Do you think Britian should give up its powers of self determination of its economic policy, and currency rate to unelected Burocrats in Brusells who will run Britains economic policy with out regard for the best interests of Britian,

,,,So no single currency

Do you beleive that in the modern global economy Britan needs to allign with out european partners and take advantage of the collective currency strength in a competertive world, regardless of your pollitical views what would you see as beign in the long tearm interests of the country.

Yes to the single currency

These arnt that good but you get the point, anything can work like that.
    That is truely shocking. :(
    The yes PM thing was clever but not realy the way it operates its more the phrasing of the question the linking script.

eg

Do you think Britian should give up its powers of self determination of its economic policy, and currency rate to unelected Burocrats in Brusells who will run Britains economic policy with out regard for the best interests of Britian,

,,,So no single currency

Do you beleive that in the modern global economy Britan needs to allign with out european partners and take advantage of the collective currency strength in a competertive world, regardless of your pollitical views what would you see as beign in the long tearm interests of the country.

Yes to the single currency

These arnt that good but you get the point, anything can work like that.

very clever indeed
    Still, poll aside the conviction rates for the cases even brought to trial are frightening.
    Or anotherone that actually happened, Railtrack were in dispute with the unions 2 questions wer asked each with 3 options

1. do you think that Railtrack were behaving

Very resonably
    Fairly resonably or
    Somewhat resonably

Do you think the Union is acting

Very unresonably
    Fairly unresonably or
    Somewhat unresonably

The questions were leaked to the Guardian so it was never used, thats an extream example it wouldnt normally happen like that youd get distorted explanations a question like

"some peope would say........." do you agreed/disagree strongly/slightly
    or
    "currently their is a dispute regarding .......the reasons for this have been stated...." do you agreed/disagree strongly/slightly

Im sure you can imagin how different the answers would be depending on how the facts/opinions were stated, then when publishing the answers you dont evern put the question asked you just say X% of people thought.
    Sad, scary, but hardly surprising given that the legal system tends to slap people in the face anyway with a 5.6% conviction rate.
    The simple fact is that if the man turns up suited and booted, and says that she led him on, then nine times out of ten the man will be acquitted because of the attitudes shown here.

Look at the number of footballers who have had the cases dropped against them simply because the man says the girl was drunk and flirting with him.

The whole thing stinks, and that is why so many dangerous men get away with rape.

Rape is probably one of the safest crimes to commit- the woman isn't likely to go to the police, and if she does she is highly likely to not be believed by the police or CPS lawyers, and if it gets to court all the defence need to do is say she was drunk and a jury will acquit. If you want to do crime and get away with it, rape is the one to go for.
    Is the conviction rate for other comparable crimes significantly higher then?

Saying the rate is low is fairly meaningless without something to compare to........
    So you're saying that of women behave in a certain way then they should expect to be raped?

Nice.
    the conviction rate is tiny, mainly due to the lack of proof in that most victims dont initally go to the police and due to the fact theres a lot of malicious accusers who cry wolf

im glad when i hear rapists go down though

and i think poster violette was saying that some of the victims do suffer from terrible judgement of the situation. thats different to saying it's their fault
    Violette wrote:
    Yeah, of course that's what I said.

Well its not clear because actually you seem to be contradicting yourself - look
    "But there is ways to prevent situations such as that, and it might not be right, but I think if you're all over a lad all night, and do invite a lad back and then decide you don't want to, after giving him the impression that you do want it, it's a bit of dick-teasing."
    and
    "I don't think they 'deserve' to be raped, not at all, but I have several friends who just think 'well, she did invite him back so what did she expect was going to happen - it's not surprising and it's partly her own fault." That "but" kind of negates the first part of your sentence.
    Violette wrote:
    But if you invite a drunk lad back to your flat, what is he honestly supposed to think he's coming back for? Cup of tea and a biscuit?

I have actually gone back to a girls and had tea and biscuits. :p
    Violette wrote:
    Should have said 'though I do have some friends who think..'. I'm just saying, I know a lot of people who feel like women should take some of the blame. I can see why they would think that, but I don't agree with it.

But you just did agree with it.
    theres a lot of malicious accusers who cry wolf

The false reporting rate for rape isn't actually any higher than for any other offence.

It's just more widely reported.

If a girl says no then it means no. None of this justifying rape by saying women are "prick-teasers" by daring to get drunk, wear skimpy clothes and snog men in nightclubs. It is not a woman's "responsibility" to "avoid the situation" by (presumably) staying at home in hessian sacks and drinking tea.

If a girl wants to get off wth a boy, and asks him back, she isn't consenting to sexual intercourse.

The only person responsible for a rape is the one using their penis as a weapon.
    It's a serious thread but this made me laugh out loud -
    It is not a woman's "responsibility" to "avoid the situation" by (presumably) staying at home in hessian sacks and drinking tea.

*wipes tears from eyes*
    The first I heard about this was when i switched on the TV this morning , was flicking through the channels and sidetracked by that awful Matthew Wright programme because it had on its screen "Rape : are women asking for it?" - or something along those horrific lines - nice

I think its appalling that by the media bringing it to the publics attention they are almost making it an ethical rather than a criminal one. In a way I can almost see it as insulting to men this kind of "aw they just can't help themselves when a girl walks past in a short skirt" attitude, while not apportioning blame to the guilty.

The perception of rape in the media is something that has worried me for a very long time, hearing about rapists being convicted is very much in the minority - it appears to be far more interesting to expose the even fewer women who make up rape claims for some twisted reason - no wonder genuine cases where the victim has suffered life long trauma rarely get a satisfactory outcome. And what about Ulrika Jonnson, who sold her autobiography off the back of an alleged rape and sat back and smirked while chaos ensued all around her saying "its nothing to do with me".

The survey today absolutely terrified me and made me wonder if we are going back to prehistoric times with these horrific attitudes - it is awful that sexual freedom for women seems to be something that can be used against them to such an atrocious extent
    ---
    post deleted
    Even footballers; talentless, over paid and useless I admit, are rarely guilty - like most other people accused of such intrusive crimes. The 10,000 figure perpetuated is also a lie and anyone acquitted of rape should be able to sue the victim right after she is thrown in prison for perversion of justice. Nevertheless I concede actual rape is increasing, a direct result of feminism.

Which sex do we blame that on?

you really are a cunt, someone's gonna bust that big fat gob of yours one day
    Even footballers; talentless, over paid and useless I admit, are rarely guilty - like most other people accused of such intrusive crimes. The 10,000 figure perpetuated is also a lie and anyone acquitted of rape should be able to sue the victim right after she is thrown in prison for perversion of justice. Nevertheless I concede actual rape is increasing, a direct result of feminism.

Which sex do we blame that on?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4453820.stm
    From the BBC article refering to the police figures

'The number of recorded rapes of women in 2004/5 was 12,867 - up 4% on the year before - although police estimate that just 15% of rapes come to their attention. Only 6% of reported rapes result in a conviction.'

I'd like you to justify your statement that this figure is a myth, and I'd like you to do it in this thread or apologise. I find it impossible to believe that you're not simply being appallingly offensive simply for the sake of it, in breach of the rules of this website - so please enlighten us. How are the police figures a lie? Why are the police lying?
    Kermit wrote:
    The only person responsible for a rape is the one using their penis as a weapon.

definetly, or an object etc etc as described in the law

i weren't saying the woman is responsible, you can question some peoples judgement of situations though
    This is rather disconcerting.

Crime is committed by criminals, not victims.
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you're saying that of women behave in a certain way then they should expect to be raped?

Nice.

You know when people come to Anything Goes looking to get more people interested in the politics board? Well, this is part of the reason you get very few new recruits.
    Steelgate was banned for saying much the same thing as Born Stupid here.

I propose the same treatment be meted out again.
    Kermit wrote:
    Steelgate was banned for saying much the same thing as Born Stupid here.

I propose the same treatment be meted out again.
    I personally think this issue is debatable.
    Kentish wrote:
    I personally think this issue is debatable.

So women whose cases aren't proven should be jailed should they?

Is he saying that simply to cause outrage? Yes.

Is it against the rules? Yes.

Is it exactly what Steelgate said? Yes.
    Kermit wrote:
    So women whose cases aren't proven should be jailed should they?
    No, men whose reputations have been ruined by false claims of rape should have the chance to clear their names publicly.

I also think there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that some claims of rape are false.

Women don't ever "deserve" to be raped, don't bring it upon themselves and are never to blame for an act of rape. But advice given to prevent sexual assault and rape can legitimately include making sensible judgments about sexual encounters and avoiding putting oneself in a position of danger. The survey results represent the fall-out of our irresponsibly promiscuous society in which sex is too often an act carried out in haste, with strangers and under the influence of alcohol.