Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why won't anyone employ me???

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    However, I don't think potential employers look at fonts and go "oh, he bought his". If you want a font that may stand out then there are loads that you can get on t'internet that are free (and legal!)
    No, I don't do it to get someone to say that, I do it so that it's a little different to everyone else's, that's all.
    ...you should not need to lie on your CV or to an interviewer. If you find yourself in a position that this is the only way you are able to get a job you are setting your sights too high.
    I have to agree.
  • Options
    ok, well i'll actually take on the helpful role this time and give some (hopefully) decent advice:

As for writing a CV, there are some tips to be found here.
    If handing this CV to a potential employer, make sure that the copy you give them is clean and crisp, printed on white paper using black ink, and that the paper is not folded in any way - It just gives a better first impression.

When filling in applications forms, always try to empasize your good points and any questions about yourself, try to turn them around a bit to add in a good point about yourself, eg. hobbies, dont just put football. Put, i play football (however often) for an amateur team, this has taught me good teamwork and communications skills.

When actually meeting an employer, try to make an impression so that you will stand out. When having an interview, try to wear a suit or smart clothes (business wear) as this will show the employer that you take pride in your appearance and are serious about wanting the job.
    Always be polite and helpful! - might sound obvious but you'd be supprised with the amount of people who dont get jobs because of this very reason, they just swan into the place like they already work there.

Now hopefully this should help you on your way and im sure some other siters will be able to add a few tips to this list.

Good luck :thumb:

iCeY
  • Options
    Back to the original thread, you should not need to lie on your CV or to an interviewer. If you find yourself in a position that this is the only way you are able to get a job you are setting your sights too high.

I think I've proven that to be incorrect - IT tech support/customer services in a call centre is not what I'd call "too high"
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think I've proven that to be incorrect - IT tech support/customer services in a call centre is not what I'd call "too high"

If you don't have the qualifications and have taken the position off someone who *does* have them, then yes, your expectations are too high.

If you feel you have to lie to get a position, regardless of what it is, then yes, you are aiming too high and have taken the position off someone who can do the job well, if not better.

It is people like you who make it harder for honest, hardworkers to get positions. I have absolutely no time or respect for someone who lies like that.
  • Options
    If you don't have the qualifications and have taken the position off someone who *does* have them, then yes, your expectations are too high.

If you feel you have to lie to get a position, regardless of what it is, then yes, you are aiming too high and have taken the position off someone who can do the job well, if not better.

It is people like you who make it harder for honest, hardworkers to get positions. I have absolutely no time or respect for someone who lies like that.

You're missing the point - I can do the job perfectly well and have proven this for 18 months. I don't have the uneccessary 2 A levels and 6 months in a similar position - and I've proven I don't need them.

And you think I don't work hard?

We all have to do whatever it take to survive in a very tough job market. My company have set their minimum entry standards too high and I'm proof of that.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You're missing the point - I can do the job perfectly well and have proven this for 18 months. I don't have the uneccessary 2 A levels and 6 months in a similar position - and I've proven I don't need them.

And you think I don't work hard?

We all have to do whatever it take to survive in a very tough job market. My company have set their minimum entry standards too high and I'm proof of that.

Just because you have managed to blag your way up to this position doesn't mean you deserve the job or that the A Levels etc are unnecessary. You are not proof of anything. All your position tells me is that you are a sly person who has managed to get to where you are based on a bunch of lies. That is nothing to be proud of IMO. And what happens if your company find out? Hmmm? They would be well within their rights to sack you. And how do you know that someone with the actual qualifications wouldn't be able to do the job better than you? You don't. Because you have decided that you should make up some qualifications to get this position infront of those who are fully qualified.

Also, I never stated that you weren't a hardworker. I stated that you weren't an honest hardworker. There is a difference.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    it's just my tiny little way of standing out. I don't know if employers notice

I can safely assure you that they don't.

What's wrong with verdana or TNR? Nothing. They're the easiest to read.

Mongs like My Scarifice would be the first to bellyache like a heroin addict if they lost a job opportunity to someone who wasn't qualified and had lied blatantly on their CV.

Most people who lie on their CVs are so obvious it ain't even funny. Well, I tell a lie, it is hilarious. As I said, my boss at Budget showed us some right corkers.
  • Options
    Applying for jobs is a horrible process. I wish it were a subject they would teach at school because at the end of the day it's as an important integral part of your career path as your exam grades (and can to some extent be more so).

Lie on your CV with caution. You may be detected. Careers advice should be available at your university and be certain to use it. If filling in an application form, be certain to photocopy it first, fill in the photocopy first. If you are stuck, again your careers advisers may be able to help you.

One of the things you will often need to emphasise is your chosen career path, which can be most difficult when you are desperate for a job. Be ready to emphasise positive points about what you can give to the role to which you are applying.
  • Options
    Just because you have managed to blag your way up to this position doesn't mean you deserve the job or that the A Levels etc are unnecessary. You are not proof of anything. All your position tells me is that you are a sly person who has managed to get to where you are based on a bunch of lies.

...and has been able to maintain that position in the company due to my daily performance.
    That is nothing to be proud of IMO.

I've not said I'm proud.
    And what happens if your company find out? Hmmm? They would be well within their rights to sack you.

Yes, I am aware of that.
    And how do you know that someone with the actual qualifications wouldn't be able to do the job better than you? You don't.

Of course I don't know - but I don't care either. My employer expects a level of performance each month and as long as I consistantly meet or exceed that - which I do - then I don't see what difference it makes.
    Because you have decided that you should make up some qualifications to get this position infront of those who are fully qualified.

It's not a job where you need to be specifically qualified ie as a plumber would need the relevant qualifications in plumbing.

Surely you should be directing some of your venom towards these companies who don't bother to check up on employee's qualifications?
    Also, I never stated that you weren't a hardworker. I stated that you weren't an honest hardworker. There is a difference.

Ah, ok.
    Kermit wrote:
    Mongs like My Scarifice would be the first to bellyache like a heroin addict if they lost a job opportunity to someone who wasn't qualified and had lied blatantly on their CV

"Mongs"....oh, the pain :D
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :( woah time to close this thread methinks! There has been some really helpful info posted relating to the original question, but now it has gone way off track and has descended into a slagging match.
This discussion has been closed.