Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prozac and taking drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just started taking Prozac again. I'm not saying I'm going to use drugs (generally its coke) but if anyone has any info or experiences I'd appreciate it.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Prozac (Fluoxetine) is an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). The main proble you are going to have with this substance is with MDMA, as in you will not get the empathic effects generated by increased release of Serotonin.

It has been suggested that the drug may also have implications for the use of other psychoactives;

'*Fluoxetine* (Prozac) -- even at doses of this antidepressant ranging from 2mg/day to 40 mg/day, there was an overall decrease in most effects from LSD (no matter how much acid people took), as well as a decrease in response to ketamine. There was no change in response to psilocybin. There does seem to be a decrease in the response to MDMA.'

(you can read the full text of the article here on Erowid.)

Generally heavy or regular use of any mind altering chemical (including alcohol) whilst on a course of prescribed anti-depressants is not a good idea as they can exasperate or mask elements of the condition you are being treated for. Talk to your doctor, and if you trust his advice take it.
  • Options
    Wow, that actually explaines alot of things for me. Thanks.
  • Options
    my ex is on seroxat, and although he did get effects off coke and e`s, it was less than he`d expect and the comedowns were worse.
  • Options
    When I took coke, I was on prozac and paxil cr (different times of cours) nobody acted like I did on them. I would talk nonstop as I always needed something to do. I bit holes in the sleeves of my sweatshirts and smoked cigarettes till I couldn't breathe cuz I couldn't be still and I thought death would be nicer than the comedown. nobody I did it with experienced anything like that.
    Also, with E and shrooms, I had no effect. No matter how much I would take I never felt anything. At first I thought I was just weird, I had no idea it had to do with the AD's
  • Options
    I've just started taking Prozac again. I'm not saying I'm going to use drugs (generally its coke) but if anyone has any info or experiences I'd appreciate it.Thanks.

Doing coke when depressed is a bad recipe, possible contra-indictions aside.

If you're depressed enough to be on prozac, giving stimulannts a wide berth is a good idea.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you're depressed enough to be on prozac, giving stimulannts a wide berth is a good idea.

Definately a wise thought.

Does anyone know why SSRI's block the action of MDMA, surely by idiot logic they should actually make MDMA more powerful?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Does anyone know why SSRI's block the action of MDMA, surely by idiot logic they should actually make MDMA more powerful?

Ask and you shall receive
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that, but not now.