Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

philosophical and political idealism ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lets face it ...you all think your so fucking modern and radical ...but in reality ...your all relying on yesterdays men.
    incapable of todays and tommorows thinking that is needed for todays and tommorows realities. ..
    face it ...or be doomed.
  • Options
    It's the people of the flower power generation that run the world today. If they're doing a good job and we rely on them so much then surely our generation will do a similar job.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    What happens when people start leading movements of aggression. What would happen if neo-nazis or religious fundamentalists organise themselves, or people from one town invaded another town to loot, steal, or impose rule?

Well that's highly unlikely, because if you actually look at the history of fascism, it is to do with the state actually wanting more power not less.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Without any form of organised government surely there is a big danger of this sort of thing happening.

Although of course, history would tell us the exact opposite.
  • Options

:yes:

He's right you know. Without goverment the worst you can have is a riot.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Could you explain this?
  • Options
    Who is it that starts war? Nation states and kings? Or people like you and me?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who is it that starts war? Nation states and kings? Or people like you and me?

The former.

Though what is there to stop one tribe or community of people deciding that they want to try and take over another group in the type of society you advocate?
  • Options
    What is there to stop that now?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What is there to stop that now?

Laws.

The idea of state and police protection/intervention/enforcement of laws.
  • Options
    So how come there are still wars then?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

When the people in power of the laws and police decide it's in their countries interest to go to war. That's why race riots in Bradford will subside but invasion of Iraq goes on until the job is done (if ever)
  • Options
    Which rather proves my point.
  • Options
    how come you always answer a question with a question? is it because you dont have answers?

we still have wars now because people are selfish and want more for themselves (though they hide it behind for freedom or something).. There will always be people like that however in an unpoliced state it will just be easier to go about it.

say a group of people came along and beat the shit out of you and nicked ure phone or something ... would you rather have some help from the police or would you police it ureself? go find them and get the shit kicked out of u again maybe?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    how come you always answer a question with a question?

I don't.
    muse- wrote:
    is it because you dont have answers?

No, I don't have any answers. Well spotted. Do you?
    muse- wrote:
    we still have wars now because people are selfish and want more for themselves (though they hide it behind for freedom or something).. There will always be people like that however in an unpoliced state it will just be easier to go about it.

You haven't been following the debate have you?
    muse- wrote:
    say a group of people came along and beat the shit out of you and nicked ure phone or something ... would you rather have some help from the police or would you police it ureself? go find them and get the shit kicked out of u again maybe?

No, definitely not following it.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    how come you always answer a question with a question? is it because you dont have answers?

are you saying you actualy have police round your way who will actualy bother to go and get your phone back for you!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

If you remove all forms of governance, people will flock under whatever banner (be that political, religious...whatever) and kick off with another group or another community.

I think the kind of society you're proposing would work for a period, but ultimately, a collective of people would impose authority over others and organise a new order...i.e. the state would return.

The only solution I could see is a military institution restricted to safeguarding peace.
  • Options
    The whole point would be to re-organise society so that it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The whole point would be to re-organise society so that it doesn't happen.

There's no guarantees that would happen. It seems somewhat dubious to assume that a supposedly perfect society would create the perfect man.

There will always be rogue intellectuals with grand ideas, and there'll always be people who lap it up and join their ranks.
  • Options
    and communities would be in a position to defend themselves
  • Options
    i am following ...you are saying we should be in a community with no authority..

it is so farfetched i think ure just taking the piss to argue for the sake of arguing =|
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i am following ...you are saying we should be in a community with no authority..

I am saying that people can be their own authority. Why do you think you need someone to tell you what to do?
    muse- wrote:
    it is so farfetched i think ure just taking the piss to argue for the sake of arguing =|

You never heard of a political theory called anarchism then? It has quite a long history.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

no ...blagsta isn't taking the piss ...he actualy believes it's possible to have a fairy tale earth where there are indians without chiefs.
    people without creative ideas.
    no one ...after some severe re educating ...will ever again come up with an idea to stir men to try something new or old ...for fear of it going pear shaped.
    blag doesn't believe that mere words can move men and nationsd ...if he does ...then he'll realise his ideas are mere fairytales.
    he is one of the religous nutcases in this place ...great faith ...based on ancient ideas ...written by men long dead.
  • Options
    I don't know why you equate authority with creativity mr. They're quite different. You seem to be getting confused between political authority and the authority that comes from creativity, being good at something and having ideas. They are quite distinct.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't know why you equate authority with creativity mr. They're quite different. You seem to be getting confused between political authority and the authority that comes from creativity, being good at something and having ideas. They are quite distinct.
    so i create a a way of generating huge ammounts of energy from nuclear reactions ...it causes lots of waste ...lots of danger ...lots of electricity ...some people think it's the bees knees ...some see it as evil ...who decides?

in my creativeness ...i see what i and others see as the best way forward ...socialy ...economicaly etc ...but you and yours disagree ...someone will have to decide ...make the decisions ...take those decisions from you ...those people therefore have power greater than you or me ...how do get round this?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I am saying that people can be their own authority. Why do you think you need someone to tell you what to do?

You never heard of a political theory called anarchism then? It has quite a long history.

I have heard of it yes but to be honest i don't know the ins and outs of it (just the basic principle).

ok fair enough people can be their own authority...

Noone is telling me what to do currently ... today I chose where i wanted to go, what i wanted to eat, who i wanted to talk to. I don't NEED someone to tell me what to do at all ...however in some cases i prefer it.

OK there are people in power setting guidelines ... advising what we should and shouldnt do ...if i see a car i like i cant just drive it off ...

I dont feel at all opressed with the freedom i have at the moment ..do you really feel that it's that bad?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    OK there are people in power setting guidelines ... advising what we should and shouldnt do ...if i see a car i like i cant just drive it off ...

Didn't we already deal with this? And most people agreed that the reason they don't steal is actually nothing to do with the police?
    muse- wrote:
    I dont feel at all opressed with the freedom i have at the moment ..do you really feel that it's that bad?

Well I look around me and I see people sleeping on the streets while others drive past them in cars that cost as much as a house. I see the world being destroyed in the name of profit. I see wars being fought for oil, people starving when we have more than enough food to go round. Do you think that's OK?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well I look around me and I see people sleeping on the streets while others drive past them in cars that cost as much as a house. I see the world being destroyed in the name of profit. I see wars being fought for oil, people starving when we have more than enough food to go round. Do you think that's OK?

And anarchy is the solution?
  • Options
    People being in control of their own lives and producing things for their own communities needs instead of the bosses bank balance might be an idea. I don't care what you call it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    People being in control of their own lives and producing things for their own communities needs instead of the bosses bank balance might be an idea. I don't care what you call it.

And greed will go away over-night then yea?
  • Options
    No, nor have I argued it will.