Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fantastic opportunity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have come across a fantastic career opportunity to work as a Trainee Public Relations Assistant with my local council. The job states that 'the work will concentrate on writing press releases and answering media enquiries. Maintaining our media monitorings services to prove we are getting our message across'. It offers an informal discussion about the position by telephoning and i'm tempted to do it. Writing is my forté particularly marketing writing to persuade. So I think this job is quite suited to me. However i lack the confidence to apply even though im pretty sure im intelligent enough to do it. I guess my main problem is that i don't read the job description and get an idea of what the job is, i understand it but i don't really know what a typical day would be like and what press releases i may have to write. I want to phone the number but want a better understanding of the position first. can anyone help? perhaps im thinking about this a little too deeply! thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    I'm no expert, but if you're dealing with the media in your job, you'll need to have some knowledge of what's going on locally in your area. You'll also be responsible for drafting responses to events or questions that newspapers ask you, for example. "Trainee", of course, means they will teach you all you need to know. You appear to be qualified for the task in hand.

I think the best thing to do would be phone the number, and ask them for more information about the job. This will not appear stupid, it makes sense and it shows interest and initiative. All qualities an employer will look at kindly when it comes to recruiting. I wish you well.
  • Options
    You can contact the council and ask to speak with someone about the role, ask them to explain what your daily roles might be, you don't have to give your name but that will be the absolute best way to get a clear idea of what would be expected from you. This is a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to do, many people do this before or after applying for a job, I know I certainly do!