Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uh, I actually ENJOY coming down...(anyone else?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can easily consume 120-140mg (swallow or snort, doesn't matter) of Adderall and not have a single unpleasant sensation while I'm downing. And when I first started popping pills, I actually enjoyed it more than the initial buzz! I by the way am a pretty small guy (19 years old, 122 lbs), so it seems as if it should hit me even worse. My friends sometimes complain about it and I just assumed only a person here or there would experiance any sort of discomfort or nausea. But I've read a few dozen threads now and have yet to find a single person who enjoys coming down. Is it just that my body is some bizzarre exception? My friends also think it's starnge that I never vomit while drinking or have hangovers,...ever. I don't even drink very often, perhaps once a month or so, and a small guy like me taking dozens of drinks (I love saké screwdrivers especially! I can down a couple of those huge bottles myself, no prob. Prefer vodka to tequila) to the point that I'm falling down and nearly passing out...doesn't give me a hangover? I've always counted myself fourtunate for this seemingly impossible immunity,...I can't even imagine having a great time getting high or drunk only to be ruined by any one of these factors.

Anyway, back to my initial question: does anyone else enjoy the feeling of co ming down? Or am I just fucked up? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Be careful with adderal, it is addictive, you will feel side effects if you do it often.

As for having no problems on a comedown, speed is such a long slope down that it doesnt have to be horrid, but for a lot of people its the length which is the problem.

As for the drinking, its probably the clear spirits you are drinking, they are far less likely to cause a hangover than beer or wine.
  • Options
    When you first do pills, on the "comedown" you feel really energised and normal, after a while it gradually gets shittier, you get to the stage where your head is up your hole and you act like a space cadet, some people don't mind that either, then after prolonged use, comedowns just become unbearable.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    then after prolonged use, comedowns just become unbearable.

Only if you're at the craic every week though. I've been doing various stimulants for well over 3 years and I don't get bad comedowns.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    Only if you're at the craic every week though. I've been doing various stimulants for well over 3 years and I don't get bad comedowns.

Yep something I done for quite a long time..looking back it makes sense to not doing them every weekend but too late now.
  • Options
    Are you guys sure some people's bodies don't just respond differently? The only real unpleasant side effect I can think of is the dry mouth, but I just keep some bottled water with me and it feels fine. I've been doing drugs for 5 years now and have tried Adderall (about 6 variations, mind you), weed, cocaine, and one of those more obscure pills whose name I forget at the moment (I saw a thread about it while browsing a few pages back, though). Pretty regualrly, too. My sophomore year of HS I was high about 80% of the schoolyear. For months straight, my friend Josh and I would pop 30s of Adderall after school pretty much every day (we had nearly unlimited sources of clueless suppliers just giving it away,...it was fucking heaven), and sometimes again later in the afternoon, we really didn't give a damn. Witht he exception of cocaine, which I've only tried a handful of times, I've gotten stoned probably over 1,000 times in 5 years. I think I should be experianced enough by this point for my comedowns to be "shitty" by this point, right? I mean if they eventually become unpleasant for everyone, why aren't they for me?
  • Options
    You dont get 'comedowns' from cannabis at all, so thats not a factor. You can feel quite ill on cannabis but thats different.

I think the big difference here is that you are taking speed (adderal is just a mix of amphetamines) and other people are talking about taking Ecstacy which has far more of an emotional side to it.

If you use MDMA regularly you are likely to get emotionally nasty come downs, this isnt always the case with amphetamines.
  • Options
    Yes, but its not just the speed of withdrawl from the drug, it is the emotional aspect, MDMA affects the seritonin receptors, the mood centre for the brain, amphetamine doesnt.

So the amphetamine crash is more just extreme exhaustion rather than having an emotional side to it. But as anyone who has stayed awake for too long will tell you, you quickly become very emotional.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You dont get 'comedowns' from cannabis at all, so thats not a factor. You can feel quite ill on cannabis but thats different.

I think the big difference here is that you are taking speed (adderal is just a mix of amphetamines) and other people are talking about taking Ecstacy which has far more of an emotional side to it.

If you use MDMA regularly you are likely to get emotionally nasty come downs, this isnt always the case with amphetamines.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll have some ecstacy within a week so I guess I'll see if I get a more "emotional" comedown then...hopefully my immunity will remain intact, lol...
  • Options
    I think amphetamines do affect seratonin levels but not to the extent that MDMA does. I reckon an MDMA come-down is more like crashing straight down than amphetamines although this is not always the case and is normally only recognised after long-term usage

It depends on the type of speed, meth does affect the seritonin receptor but amphetamine does not.

However, its not as simple as that really because when the speed wears off you feel sad because you've lost it, so there is an indirect reaction.

I'm not of course saying that there is no emotional side to the amphetamine come down, I just think it is different in nature to that of MDMA.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll have some ecstacy within a week so I guess I'll see if I get a more "emotional" comedown then...hopefully my immunity will remain intact, lol...

You won't get a comedown as such on your first few times taking ecstacy, it's a gradual thing.

I knew it's been debated quite a few times before but is there really any link between prolonged ecstacy use/long term depression...i'm not depressed myself but I worry for a few of my mates.
  • Options
    i got a come down off about 150 mg of ritalin (100mg to start and another 50mg an hour later) and it was your classic speed comedown .. inability to sleep and feeling pretty shite in general

and also you do get negative effects a while after smoking cannabis as it wears off, grogginess, agitation etc etc

i've never felt too bad after taking coke, infact ive woke up feeling good a few times .. but mixing coke with ecstasy has made the come down horrible (amazing high tho )
  • Options
    Comedowns are fucked up.

I hate them, but there's something quite peaceful about them in a sense, you're just switched off and can't be bothered with the world...i think it all depends on your mental state as well...if you're happy and perhaps a bit nieve,you just feel monged and want to sleep, but if you're unhappy, worried etc or think into things, then our outlook during the comedown will be bleak...

sometimes I get a little flicker of pleasure when you get those "mechanical" sort of feelings (i don't know if anyone will understand that :confused: ) but comedowns for me are very bad.
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    i've never felt too bad after taking coke, infact ive woke up feeling good a few times .. but mixing coke with ecstasy has made the come down horrible (amazing high tho )

Never mixed E and coke, actually only took coke after I quit the yokes but I've never felt too bad the next day on coke, doesn't give me a comedown at all, maybe it's cos I've not took coke that often but I always wake up feeling fine and dandy after a night on the charlie, E's make me feel mentally agitated plus I get loads of panic attacks on them, i suppose I get the "fear" on a comedown, weird like.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I knew it's been debated quite a few times before but is there really any link between prolonged ecstacy use/long term depression...i'm not depressed myself but I worry for a few of my mates.

Its kind of a chicken and the egg thing as well, are the sort of people who cain loads of pills every weekend all that mentally together in the first place?

I think you are right though, MDMA does have a link to depression, it needs to be treated with respect and not used more than once a month.
  • Options
    Some people just push their use to the limits not even realising/thinking about the damage that is being done, something says to me these are the addicts. May not be heavily addicted but more fun orientated.

Certainly for some it becomes a habit which is hard to do without, so in some sense it is an addiction.
  • Options
    If they stood back and thought about the problems/damage the use is causing im sure most would take a deep breath and think "bloddy hell, thats a slippery slope"

What do you think, bong, that XTC addicts could find it easy to stop taking them, i think it could quite possibly be one of the easiest to steer away from?

Well I know after a while I did that but you know what most people are like round here, week in week out, taking yokes and not really giving a fuck...and I knowm for a fact they don't realise what they're doing to themselves..when I look at people taking 5-10 a night i'm like, "what are ya like" though did it myself so can't nag too much :D
  • Options
    If they stood back and thought about the problems/damage the use is causing im sure most would take a deep breath and think "bloddy hell, thats a slippery slope"

What do you think, bong, that XTC addicts could find it easy to stop taking them, i think it could quite possibly be one of the easiest to steer away from?

It really depends, drugs education and safety messages only get through to those actually interested in their personal safety, and lets face it, some kids just arent.

This is why younger people using the drug scares me so much, their decision making processes arent fully developed and they are not old enough to see past the end of next week. Saying 'you might damage your brain nerve endings' to them means nothing because they are invinvible.
  • Options
    or at least the think they are (fixed your sp.)

and im sure everyone did at one satge of their lives

Of course, thats the way it is, until you get a bit older and you have some experience with death you dont understand it, you dont really in some way believe it.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    between prolonged ecstacy use/long term depression...i'm not depressed myself but I worry for a few of my mates.

I felt exactly the same way about worrying for my mates. I have now cut down on my XTC habbit from 4-6 a weekend to 1 a month or so, even less if I have to. And I guarantee you, you will be worried about yourself to if you abouse it enough.

Depression can only be expected from a drug that releases all the serotone in you system. I litterally means, that when you stop using, the amounts of serotone you have been inducing within yourself will be what is required to keep you normal, or slightly happy. Hence the comedowns which become gradual.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Just to clarify, and apologies for the scientific explination -
    MDMA blocks the reuptake of 5-HT, similarly to SSRI (serotonin specific reuptake inhibiting) anti-depressants such as fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline, and paroxetine. Unlike those drugs, however, MDMA appears to enter the neuron, either through passive diffusion or directly through the reuptake transporter, and causes the release of 5-HT. This release is calcium-independent (i.e. independent of the firing of the 5-HT neuron) and appears to come from cytoplasmic stores rather than from synaptic vesicles. The released 5-HT then enters the synaptic cleft through the 5-HT transporter. MDMA thus acts on 5-HT similarly to the way amphetamines act on dopamine.
    from Erowid
  • Options
    Not toally correct but along the right track, the real deal is that the MDMA uses your seratonin causing depletion which in turn reduces your happiness and sadness as seratonin is thought to affect both

And there is evidence to suggest it burns or damages the nerve endings too, so its just as simple as there not being as much seritonin around, there isnt as many nerve endings to recieve it.

But, having said all that, research is still a bit unclear as to what the hell that actually means.
  • Options
    In fact if you allow for poly-drug use the effects of MDMA on depression are actually quite slight.
  • Options
    Would that mean that even some cannabis or a line of cocaine could help?

No, thats not what I mean.

Basically if you take a group of people who use drugs but not MDMA and a group who use drugs and MDMA, their scores in depression tests are relatively similar.

This leads to the conclusion that is might not be the MDMA causing the depression but the lifestyle and poly-drug use of MDMA users.

BUT - I still think there is a strong link between abuse of MDMA and depression.
  • Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with the lifestyle, if you are using pills every weekend you are likely to be always tired, you're likely not to be eating all that well, you're likely not to be getting healthy exercise.... All things which can make depression more likely.

I do think that MDMA is more likely to cause depression than most drugs, but people dont use just MDMA, they mix it, and when you do its impossible to say what is causing the problem.