Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Taking a year out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Technically i'm not sure if this should be in travel but nevermind.
I've decided that before i do my PGCE (this would be my 4th year...but i have only just started the first :) ), i'd really like to take a year out and travel around Australia and (maybe) South Asia. What i was really wondering though, is how students manage to finance things like this? I'm really determined to do this, since it's been an ambition of mine for many years, the problem is, that as it draws (relatively) nearer, i just don't see how students manage to afford it. The plane fare is affordable, but money to live on? I just can't imagine what you'd need.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Meh, I worked at Tesco for 9 months to finance my hedonistic jaunt round Europe. I spent about 3 grand round Europe because it's not cheap in Europe, even in Eastern Europe. If you're prepared to do it, Tesco does pay really well though it is completely demeaning work. After tax, you get about £700-800 a month. I spent large parts of that on drinking while I should have been saving.

Though I'd really advise against Australia and South Asia (let me guess, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos..). It's such a beaten track these days and it's going to get ruined. Go somewhere interesting like South America, Russia, China, Kazakhstan or somewhere really far flung for a real travel experience.
    Yeah that's what i was thinking, work full time for 6 months, to finance 6 months away. Though i wouldn't work at Tescos for moral reasons, i have done the whole supermarket thing already :)

I know Australia has been done lots, i just really want to go :) Maybe buy a cheap van or something, and see where we end up :)
    Have you considered working with a company like Global Adventure Project?
    Yeah i've looked at them. What we (i) really want to do is get a battered old camper van and bum across Australia, visit loads of places off 'the usual track' do some climbing (though i don't know how good australia is for climbing) do the neighbours tour, then maybe spend a month or two in south asia, just visiting places.
    Yeah i've looked at them. What we (i) really want to do is get a battered old camper van and bum across Australia, visit loads of places off 'the usual track' do some climbing (though i don't know how good australia is for climbing) do the neighbours tour, then maybe spend a month or two in south asia, just visiting places.

Having been to Australia, take it from someone who knows: Make sure that your car is 100% reliable, and not only that, but you also have made arrangements for alternative transport if you're planning on going into any of the outback. A lot of locals recommend taking a quad bike with you because if and when your car blows a tyre/overheats/breaks down (which is usually very often, apparently), you'll wanna be able to get either back to where you were, or go on to where you were going to get help. Make sure people know your EXACT route and STICK TO IT. Make sure people know when you're meant to arrive so that they can send people out if they need to. Make sure you take supplies for a few days in case you decide to stay put. I'm rambling.

Climbing in Aus is fantastic (once you find something to climb). Uluru is the best to climb and the locals will happily take you up and show you around and all sorts.
    There's no way you'd get me driving an old wreck of a car round the outback in Australia. Great if it all goes fine, disastrous if it doesn't.

Australia is brilliant, but you don't need to drive your way round. In between the good bits there's a lot of boring emptyness.
    I wouldn't want to walk then :)
    Try this link for alternatives to your own car. Greyhound Australia
    Also, the trains across Australia are fantastic. Flying, in my experience is almost as expensive as Britian>Aus flights so I wouldn't advise that, but the trains run right across the stretch of the country. But as Kentish says, in between landmarks you have -days- of flat, orange sandstone deserts.