Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going to uni with the other half..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm hoping to go off to uni next september, but I'm going to be going with my boyfriend/fiancée. Obviously I'm not planning on living in halls.. we're going to rent a somewhere up there. He isn't going to uni, he's going to try and get his job relocated (he works for a branch of a large chain) and if that doesn't work, he's going to try and get another job...

Just wondering if anyone else has gone to uni with their boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancée and how they worked things out?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A bit strange but i went up to uni with both my bestfriend and my boyfriend(but now fiance).

The only advice that i can give is that you seriously NEED to make an effort in regards to making friends or else you only ever have you bf. It is too easy to be in a new situation and just revert to what you know. Make an effort and things should be alright.
    The girl who lived next door to me in my first year was attached, and went home to see the other half pretty much every weekend. Result being that when they broke up after xmas (from not being able to spend 24/7 with each other) she was stuck out on her own. Of course we all made the effort etc but in the end she just felt like too much of an outsider and ended up quitting uni.

Moral of the story: don't shoot yourself in the foot by cutting yourself off from everybody. It'd be easier to just spend all your time with your partner but if you don't make that initial effort to meet people it'll just get harder with time
    What about things like getting a house, and stuff like that?

We want to rent, but what kind of taxes and stuff will we be needing to pay (he'll be working full time, I'll be working part time and full time uni) and will we both still be able to live in 'student housing' like, places that rent to students in particular.. the cheaper houses?

Gah it all sounds so confusing
    If you haven't lived together yet then I think its a terrible idea.
    If you are going to uni, you are probably better off living in halls.
    Renzo wrote:
    If you are going to uni, you are probably better off living in halls.

I'd disagree, halls are shit.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd disagree, halls are shit.

Well on campus accomidation then, something where you are living with other students. And Halls are fine.
    but if they want to live together and her boyfriends not at uni then they won't be able to live in halls will they? (I's agree with Kermit about halls though, I lived in them last year and now live in a house and like it so much better. I think halls are very over rated, ive found it just as easy to make friends, mix with people, have a good social life living in a house as I did in halls but in a house I don't have to put up with a lot of the shit halls bring.)

anyway, i know two couples. the first are both at uni, they have a house together and work part time to afford everything. the second couple, one's at uni, the other works and they have a flat together. money-wise, both couples actually manage OK, obviously they're on a bit of a tight budget but then all students are.

Socially, both couples are also fine but that's only because they made the effort to make friends with people on their course, who they work with, who they live near. It would have been easy for them to just stick together and isolate themselves which is something you don't want to do.

I should point out though that both of these couples had been together for a long time before going to uni which i think was important. you don't want the added stress of moving in with someone you're not 100% comfortbale and sure about as well as starting uni.
    I was at uni for my first year, my gf decided to come to another uni in the same city after she had a gap year.

it's difficult, uni is a very busy period.

made worse when your gf is a bit insecure and doesn't like your freinds, I can tell you that for sure! *grumbles*
    remember that if he is not in full time education, he is liable to pay the council tax on the house, no matter how many students live there