Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

work over christmas??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Was just wondering do many 1st year students get set work to do over holidays??

that would suck :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    yes, i have five assignments.
  • Options
    I did at my Uni last year, but it was just one piece so not too bad. Changed courses this year and I'll have an exam to revise for. So again, not too bad. I'm sure most people will have some sort of work to do over the holidays...
  • Options
    I didn't have work over the holidays last year because all my exams were held before christmas and most of my courses were half courses that only lasted one semester so they all ended before christmas. It's a good enough system, but it means I've got my first exam in a month.
  • Options
    all my exams are in may/june time for my course =/
  • Options
    Do you not have exams in the winter as well as at the end of the year? I thought everywhere worked like that.
  • Options
    nope they're all in the summer term!

We've had a few courseworks and stuff but exams are left till later i guess.
    I can barely be arsed to do any work now let alone over holidays :(:(
  • Options
    No, I have nothing over the Christmas or summr vacations. Our modules are set to run for one semester only, meaning I neatly avoid having to do any work in the holidays, other than Easter.
  • Options
    oooo same here :D:D:D

didn't think of that !!...how can they set a coursework if we have finished the module lol :blush:

Thats a relief :D
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Was just wondering do many 1st year students get set work to do over holidays??

that would suck :(

I think you should prepare for a sucky Christmas then, as you will most likely have either assignments or exam prep to do, depending on how your year falls.
  • Options
    In my first year we had a massive exam on the first day back the was a required prerequistite to the summer exams so if we failed it we were out basically. So I spent almost all the holidays of my first year revising for it.
  • Options
    I didn't in first year.

I had to prepare for my tutes in first week of Michaelmas term, but that was it. Although that was ten hours work.

All my formative essays went in on the last day of term, I didn't have coursework, and I went to a proper university with proper terms instead of the ridiculous "semesters". That meant no january exams for me:D
  • Options
    We had exams immediately after Christmas in the first year so the holidays were for revision.

A lot of students have jobs in the holidays too. Such is life these days.
  • Options
    I have a portfolio that has to be in as soon as we come back
  • Options
    Oh that sounds boring :/ The second it's holidays i just tend to forget about stuff and the amazing effort it takes to actually get any work done turns into an impossible effort :rolleyes:

A proper uni eh kermit? :cool:
  • Options
    Yeh that normally happens with me to, I think "Right, do some damn work!" but...it never happens.

But I might be getting a job over Christmas, that should keep me busy.
  • Options
    i think i had a piece of work or 2 in for january in my first year, so yeh.

this year i have 3 pieces in before christmas (argh) and 2 in after christmas along with a mock exam.

boo.
  • Options
    Now now kids...even though we might not have assignments over Christmas, we should all be working very hard over the festive season, 3 hours a night at least, 2 on Christmas day and New Years day :p
  • Options
    Im in my 2nd year and I will have a number of essays to do and 1 or 2 exams.

Last Christmas I had a few essays and presentations to prepare.

A few essays hardly ruined my holidays.