Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What has happened to virginity???

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sex has become just a fun recreational activity (just ask Skive!). We need to get back to Christian values. Virginity should be a "virtue" and sex should be kept within a stable relationship, or better in marriage. Lets not forget the basics. The real purpose of sex is to continue the species, not just for a bit of fun. Therefore it should be respected rather more than Skive respects it.

Er ... hang on ... that's your view and if you're happy great but don't judge others if they don't follow the same route.

If you want your virginity to be kept a virtue and you want sex to be kept in a stable relationship that's fine for you ... don't make that 'should' apply to all!

I've seen what Christian values does to the world and I want no part of it!

Oh and by the way, count yourself lucky I wasn't brought up in a Jewish or Muslim family or I'd have found that really offensive!

As for my thoughts on virginity I don't think you should lose it before your ready. If you're not ready until relatively later in life I don't think you should be judged for that but if you're ready at an earlier age I also don't think you should be judged for that!
    I blame the media. Especially American pie and similar films although they are really funny)! Sex has become just a fun recreational activity (just ask Skive!). We need to get back to Christian values. Virginity should be a "virtue" and sex should be kept within a stable relationship, or better in marriage. Lets not forget the basics. The real purpose of sex is to continue the species, not just for a bit of fun. Therefore it should be respected rather more than Skive respects it.

jesus hang on, if sex is just 'to continue the species' then why do we have those little bits (like a clitoris) that make it feel good?! sex isn't just about carrying on the circle of life, and why do we need to get back to christian values? i'm not a truffin' christian!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    if sex is just 'to continue the species' then why do we have those little bits (like a clitoris) that make it feel good?!
    Not saying that I agree with what he said, but:
    1)It feels good because when people were animals (not so high intelligence) they wouldn't do it if it didn't, and we wouldn't exist today.
    2)Just because someone thinks it should only be for reproduction doesn't necesarrily mean (s)he's christian.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Zalbor wrote:
    It feels good because when people were animals (not so high intelligence) they wouldn't do it if it didn't, and we wouldn't exist today.

Rubbish. Other creatures don't need sex to be 'enjoyable' for them to do it.
    Weekender Offender 
    I don't see how many people are getting it in the first place. The requirements for entering the position of 'lover' these days are outrageous.
    Skive- yeah, its an innate desire to reproduce- every living thing has it, the same as to eat, drink and otherwise survive.

And Humans and Dolphins are the only animals that have sex for fun.
    Smush wrote:
    Skive- yeah, its an innate desire to reproduce- every living thing has it, the same as to eat, drink and otherwise survive.

And Humans and Dolphins are the only animals that have sex for fun.

And cats, monkeys (the gang-bangers of the animal kingdom), dogs...in fact, most advanced organisms evidently derive gratification from shagging. Sexual enjoyment is nature's way of encouraging reproduction.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Skive wrote:
    Rubbish. Other creatures don't need sex to be 'enjoyable' for them to do it.
    Are you saying that for other animals it doesn't feel good? I guess I'll take your word on that, since I know nothing of their sexual anatomy.
    mrs_berry wrote:
    Hi, im 19. I lost my virginity a year ago. Alot of people when i was at high school, lost it at around 14,15. I chose to wait until I found the right person and was completly ready. Alot of my friends who lost it young, regret it and wish they had waited, and from reading the posts here, I can see alot of you do too. Isnt virginity supposed to be cherised? But nowadays as suppose its seen as "dorky" to be a virgin, why do teenagers feel the need to waste themselves on drunken nights in bushes!? Good for them if they are in a loving relationship and really want it, but too many people are just out to shed the label of virgin! Even people selling there virginty on ebay! Why has it become such I thing people are desperate to lose?
    btw, i think you can guess i dont like much of American Pie.

I was 20 when I lost mine about 6 months ago, like you I waited until I was in a loving relationship and felt ready. I must admit though the first few times did hurt a little, as althought I loved my bf and we had spoken about it together I guess I was still a slightly nervous. As I did not want to let him down, even though it was his first time too. It did take us a couple of months to fully relax and for the sex to improve (as we only see each other at the weekends).

I really repect the fact that he felt that he waited until he waited until he had meet someone he really loved before he had sex. Also the fact that he waited until I felt I was ready too, which ment he had to wait about a month before I finally agreed.
    Meh. Lost it at 17 in her friend's parents' bed. Ooh yeah.

Fuck, waiting til 26 is some serious devotion. I think my testicles would have exploded by then.

Captain Slog, let's face facts. Sex is fun. Why would God, or Buddha, or Jahweh, or Jehovah, or whoever happens to be your higher power of choice, have made it so enjoyable if it was dirty? Or is this just another case of the Church continuing in its tradition of being against anything remotely fun?

Sorry to offend any religioso-types, I just have a very deep-set fear of Christianity after a certain priest at school (it has nothing to do with molestation.)
    Nothing's happened to Virginity.... something's happened to the people losing it.

Some people give in to peer pressure, some don't. To be honest though, it seems that a lot of young people (mainly girls) lose their virginity because it's 'the thing to do' and 'guys respect them more' if they sleep with them. At least, that's what I've gathered from programmes like 'No sex please, we're teenagers'.

I however, would never give in to any form of peer pressure, I just couldn't do it - I hate people telling me what to do. So, thus I'm still comfortably Virginal at 19 simply because I've not met anyone worth sleeping with yet!

Ilora x
    Nothing's happened to Virginity.... something's happened to the people losing it.

Some people give in to peer pressure, some don't. To be honest though, it seems that a lot of young people (mainly girls) lose their virginity because it's 'the thing to do' and 'guys respect them more' if they sleep with them. At least, that's what I've gathered from programmes like 'No sex please, we're teenagers'.

I however, would never give in to any form of peer pressure, I just couldn't do it - I hate people telling me what to do. So, thus I'm still comfortably Virginal at 19 simply because I've not met anyone worth sleeping with yet!

Ilora x

Peer pressure? I don't know anyone who pressures others to have sex, partners an exception...

Look, people have sex because it's enjoyable and integral to their relationships with the opposite sex - end of.
    i think peer pressure is more hearing people talk about it, not them outwardly telling you to loose it
    you feel left out like you're missing something, so people go and lose it
    girls at school in my year deffinatly brag about the so called sex they're getting
    one girl in my form is sleeping with a guy 9 years older who has a gf
    and another (some may recall) is sleeping with a guy nearly 20 years older for his money.... :no:
    2 also havent returned at all this year cause they're having babies
    Ballerina wrote:
    i think peer pressure is more hearing people talk about it, not them outwardly telling you to loose it
    you feel left out like you're missing something, so people go and lose it
    girls at school in my year deffinatly brag about the so called sex they're getting
    one girl in my form is sleeping with a guy 9 years older who has a gf
    and another (some may recall) is sleeping with a guy nearly 20 years older for his money.... :no:
    2 also havent returned at all this year cause they're having babies

Should have been taking precautions then. Seriously though, why the moralising? For everyone who sleeps around and gets pregnant, there's plenty who take precautions and have no problem.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Peer pressure? I don't know anyone who pressures others to have sex, partners an exception...

Look, people have sex because it's enjoyable and integral to their relationships with the opposite sex - end of.
    According to your other posts you know every 'older virgin' on the planet, maybe you should ask them if they'd ever been pressured by their peers :rolleyes:
    TBH, you're talking shit if you don't think teenagers put pressure on their peers to have sex :yeees:
    Spliffie wrote:
    Peer pressure? I don't know anyone who pressures others to have sex

Of course there's pressure to have sex from peers.

The whole media world is geared around sex, and sex is shown as a cool thing that cool people have. If you're not fucking the brains out of that hot model then you're a failure, the whole media message is that people who don't have sex are failures.

Teenagers are very impressionable to this message, and will take it on board- you're cool if you're having sex, you're not if you're not. And then when everybody at school starts repeating the same message, and the boys trying to get in your pants repeat the same message, there is a lot of pressure.

It is, of course, stupid to say that all people who have sex early do so because they are pressurised into it. But it is a factor in the widespread promiscuity that we have now- promiscuity that is dangerous.
    TBH, you're talking shit if you don't think teenagers put pressure on their peers to have sex :yeees:

Thank you again for speaking the truth.

Seriously Spliffe, I don't know what mormon cult you live in but in the real world, people are pressured into having sex. That's part of growing up and I strongly suggest you open your eyes.
    The media aren't your 'peers', and of course there's going to be an exposure to it through the media when majority of the population are adults, just like there's exposure to anything else that's part of adulthood.

But the problem is still people still presuming abstinence takes the higher moral ground.
    My twopence: You can still get some STI's even if you wear a condom, not that they don't help to protect against the most dangerous...

Look up genital warts, and genital herpes... (both transmitted by skin to skin contact, regardless of wearing a condom)

Keep it covered anyway though! x
    Spliffie wrote:
    The media aren't your 'peers', and of course there's going to be an exposure to it through the media when majority of the population are adults, just like there's exposure to anything else that's part of adulthood.

No, but your peers say exactly what the media say.

Oh, and quite a lot of the media ARE peers. Magazines like Cosmo Girl are filled with this shite, and they are directly marketed at young teen girls.
    But the problem is still people still presuming abstinence takes the higher moral ground.

No there isn't.

Promsicuity is bad for you. It is proven to be dangerous.

Being pressurised into having sex at a young age is bad for you.

I don't believe that the law is right for every single person, but for most people they are not mature enough to be having sex below the age of 16. I don't think a lot are below the age of 18, for that matter.