Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

burgled!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
so friday me and my housemates went out for lik 3 hours, come back and some chav has broken into my room through the window, stolen my laptop, 2 mobiles and cash!!! chav!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
i have insurance for my laptop but they want proof i bought it etc!! i cant sleep these days cos the security of our student house is so poor!!! im off to see the student union about where we stand with security and the landlord. so annoyed :grump: :grump: :grump:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You shouldn't have rented a house with poor security features. If you don't have mortice locks and lockable windows you shouldn't have rented it.

But what is usually the case is that dozy students don't know how to lock their windows and doors- or even shut them half the bloody time- and so thieves will just walk in and take what they want. Hell, even I've been tempted it's that easy. And its such rich pickings too, all those expensive toys.
    my windows were closed!! we didnt realise the security was bad in the rooms and if u have never rented a house before u dont realise everything u have to look for!
    do u have room contents insurance? u must've kept the receipt for your laptop surely?

my insurence was expensive, but it's good to have that peace of mind, would reccomend it to all students....like kermit said, students are a goldmine for thieves, most student rooms contain a laptop and many dvds for instance.......
    You won't need a receipt for your laptop. How are you supposed to have one if its been nicked?
    thats what the insurance people want though isn't it? proof of purchase?
    the police came round to our house the other night to warn us that in our area (nice studenty bit) there are about 5/6 houses being burgled a night.
    apparently they look for open windows and shimmy up the drain pipe to get in. they don't care if people are still in the house.. they just get in, grab what they can and get out.
    We were burgled last christmas, the burglar pinched most of the presents from under the tree :(
    TheOne wrote:
    so friday me and my housemates went out for lik 3 hours, come back and some chav has broken into my room through the window, stolen my laptop, 2 mobiles and cash!!! chav!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    i have insurance for my laptop but they want proof i bought it etc!! i cant sleep these days cos the security of our student house is so poor!!! im off to see the student union about where we stand with security and the landlord. so annoyed :grump: :grump: :grump:

How do you know it was a chav? :confused:
    Spliffie wrote:
    How do you know it was a chav? :confused:

Exactly my thoughts.

Nothing like that ever happens in my halls and I'm in Belfast, well admitantly the posh part.
    Two houses down from us was burgled a couple of weeks ago, we had a policeman come round and ask if I saw or heard anything. Poor people, I do sympathise.

Do they really ask you for proof of purchase for a stealing claim on insurance? Because when we broke a laptop they didn't want one then.
    They don't ask for a proof of purchase, or they don't in my experience anyway.

If you've declared a laptop as part of your insurance package, that will be enough. You've paid to cover one, so they will agree that you had one.
    lipsy wrote:
    the police came round to our house the other night to warn us that in our area (nice studenty bit) there are about 5/6 houses being burgled a night.
    apparently they look for open windows and shimmy up the drain pipe to get in. they don't care if people are still in the house.. they just get in, grab what they can and get out.

i think you live in the same area as me.. :thumb:
    i did declare my laptop, i had to put the make and model which i did. they want proof of purchase. trust me!!! apparently it prevents fraud. if u read the small print in the policy book, it says u need proof of purchase to make a claim!
    endsleigh
    TheOne wrote:
    endsleigh
    Did you buy it from a shop or online?

Shops keep copies of their receipts, and you would have an email confirmation if you bought it online.
    That sounds really stupid, I suspect you're misreading the small print.

Say the receipt got nicked too.
    What if you received the laptop as a gift? How could you provide proof of purchase then?
    I got burgled last year and lost a couple of hundred quids worth of stuff... didm't need any receipts though to claim on insurance which is good as most of it was gifts... like my £54 dildo... got cash for all of it.
    i did my insurance online, they want proof that i own the laptop in the end i sent them the manual that came with it but its still taking so long. they said they needed proof as they get a lot of fraud. no one seems to know how it works there!!
    I think someone is taking the piss, or you have claimed on six laptops in the last three months.

If you've paid premiums based on your laptop, then there is no fraud, and it sounds like someone is being a mong.

If you declare a laptop of value £x, they calculate the premium based on that. You are paying to cover something you own. They can't then turn round and ask for proof you own it, as you have declared you do.

If you don't declare it at first then that would be different.
    A girl in my flat had her laptop stolen, and Endsleigh are also asking for proof of purchase. :chin:
    That sounds very dubious to me.

That shouldn't happen. If you've declared it on your premiums then you shouldn't have to prove you own it- they have asked for money based on the risk ownership of a laptop entails.

Though Endsleigh aren't actually very good.
    our student house got broke in to last year and it took months before we got everything sorted. we had to report it to the cops. you could maybe try your parents house insurance. it might cover it i know it covered ours even though we had student insurance as well
    thank you scarlet for backing me up since some people seem to think i am taking the piss! but i have no received my replacement laptop about time too!! i know it sounds stupid cos why would you declare a laptop if it wasnt yours, but yes they want proof for everything, even proof of cash if that gets stolen and you can only claim up to 50punds no matter if you had more!!
    without a proof of purchase then how could you prove that the 'laptop' ever actually existed, you could theoretically just fabricate the entire story. If you bought it on a credit card you are safe as that is proof of purchase, otherwise you will have to go back to where it was bought and ask to see their accounts under data protection legislation. I had to do this once but was given into when they realised I was going to make life difficult for them :naughty: