Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Medical/clerical temp work at a hospital?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone every tried it? I thought it'd be good experience for me as I may want to go into research when I leave uni. I've got a few OCR qualifications and am quick with typing etc, but is there anything else I should be aware of? They're sending out the application form tomorrow.

Also, does it look good on a C.V? As in, better than just working at your part time job over the summer? :chin:

Comments

• Options
    It's just the same in CV-terms as your average temping job because you'll be given all the crap to do, I would have thought. Unless you have experience which would make you useful.

See if your local library has this book, or its earlier edition.

Typing is an asset, as is an ability to understand medical terminology and the ways of the NHS. Can't think how it would help your research career, unless you can get a job in the Clinical Governance department, maybe as an audit assistant.
  • Options
    My degree is for microbiology, and I was considering going into writing science articles for magazines n the like when I graduate, if I don't choose to go on and do further qualifications. Thanks for the reply, might as well give it a go, my friend said she did it for a few weeks and she got around £6 an hour :)
  • Options
    Have you written any articles yet?
  • Options
    Oh, no! I've just started my course - a young 'un. I've got OCR medi qualifications, I had the choice between legal and that. I was just told to gain as much experince with writing articles and getting them published where possible (I know this wouldnt be the case for temping but it's still experince with medical terms) I'm also trying to get on the university newsletter
  • Options
    At least if you get a job in a hospital there'll be plenty of journals lying around for you to read...:D
  • Options
    ...with lots of lovely pictures too :razz:
  • Options
    Not if you read Minerva :sour:
  • Options
    sounds yummy- what's that entail? Amputees n warty genitals and the like?
  • Options
    Sometimes. It's at the back of the BMJ. Delightful example