Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ads on MSN

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody know why some people are getting them while others aren't?

They were on some automatic install for me, appearing only two days ago and are quite clearly using my conversations to find out what to advertise. Furthermore, does anybody know if there's a way to get rid of it? I know they already spy on me, but I'd prefer if they didn't flaunt it like that. This is quite an eyesore.

Comments

• Options
    Spyware? Cos MSN adverts aren't related to what you talk about (Least they shoulden't be)

If you mean the text/banner ads on messenger u can remove them by installing "messpatch" from www.mess.be
  • Options
    Have you got msn plus installed?
  • Options
    Nope, I don't have anything related to MSN installed. And it's not spyware, it's from MSN. There is a small area the size of one line underneath all the chat windows. There is also a banner on the main thing.

A part of my MSN changed, more stupid things I'll never use got added. And all the advertisements are offering me online degrees, most likely because I talk about my uni and the workload... Another friend said he got a totally different set of things. :|

I'll check out mess.be. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Use the messpatch, It'll let u get rid of all the ads
  • Options
    Since MSN is a very big company I would expect a lot of companies to pay them to advertise there products or services because a large amount of people use MSN e.g. MSN messenger and MSN hotmail.

The way I see it is the advertising is done on randomisation. Each window when launched is allocated adverts to show and change at a time interval and there could be thousands so that is why not everyones screen shows the same or at least not two peoples screens would show the same advert at the same time. When i use MSN i do not talk about flying around the world but adverts come up saying about cheap flights so i would not worry that MSN are spying on you guys.
  • Options
    It's more than coincidence that mine all mention online degrees and have since the ads appeared. That suggests that it's not just random, there is something that selects the ads which means that they are spying ("selecting") in one form or the other.

And the patches I found on mess.be seemed to be for an earlier version of 7.5, at least I couldn't install it. I'm hovering around the site though, ready to jump if I see newer ones. ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    And the patches I found on mess.be seemed to be for an earlier version of 7.5, at least I couldn't install it. I'm hovering around the site though, ready to jump if I see newer ones. ;)

Have you tried A-Patch? It's similar to the Mess Patch.
  • Options
    The newest version of MSN Messenger DOES show ads relevant your conversation. Whether or not Microsoft get info about you from these ads I don't know, but MSN has gone all Gmail on us.