Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Implanon - Positive please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just had Implanon fitted and thought I'd have a good look on the net to see what women think about it and everywhere I've looked there is no positive feedback on Implanon. :nervous: Please can someone tell me they have had no weight gain, irregular bleeding, moodiness and it's the best thing since sliced bread, puurrrrlllleeeaaasseee!!!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pepsy wrote:
    I've just had Implanon fitted and thought I'd have a good look on the net to see what women think about it and everywhere I've looked there is no positive feedback on Implanon. :nervous: Please can someone tell me they have had no weight gain, irregular bleeding, moodiness and it's the best thing since sliced bread, puurrrrlllleeeaaasseee!!!!

Haha, no one will tell you that because we aren't clones. It will make you bleed like a bitch for 6 months to a year, it's a slower release and won't increase your appetite much nor make you as moody.
    Nothing you read will affect how you react to it.

Give your body a chance to adapt to the implant and see how it goes.
    I've had it fitted recently but I've had no problems with it yet. I've not gained any wieght, had any bleeding (but that could be because I'd been on the injection for over a year and the dr lady said it was the same hormones) I dont think I've been anymore moody than normal and I really do think its great! Its so much fun to play with as well, I can make the end kinda press against my skin and it freaks people out! Lol:p
    Is it sore? I'm getting in in on Thursday! :o
    what is it???
    Its good if your lucky, and dont get random bleeding, which is why i had to have it taken out. It hurts a little to have put it but it hurts more to have it taken out.
    I think I spoke to soon, I just got a period type thing
    I had it fitted in December and my first period was in July, Havn't put on a huge amount of weight.

I think its ok. Didnt hurt to have it put in
    i put on loadsa weight but only had 5 bleeds in 2 and a half years, all really light. it didn't hurt to get it put in, the worst bit is the stinging feeling as they inject the local anaesthetic in
    Two of my mates had it and have put on loads of weight.
    Ehh, I am just gonna go for the patch instead, methinks. :)
    i've had it for a year now

i've had no, repeat NO periods, no weight gain and no moods

so yes, it is the best thing since sliced bread
    Having no periods comes back to bite you in the end. I had no periods for 5 years on depo.. at the moment I'm currently on my third month of continuous bleeding. All a normal side effect of coming off hormonal contraceptives I'm assured!

I thought depo was great, it SO isn't! :crying:
    I had it put in at the begining of June and had no problems untill the begining of September when I started bleeding and haven't stopped since :yuck: I had all this with the injection but the nurse suggested I had it every two months instead of every three and it stopped but I don't think theres much I can do about it with the implant (I read somewhere that I could take oestrogen which should settle the bleeding down? Don't know how happy a nurse/doctor would be to keep prescribing it though.) I've also expierienced a large "loss of libido" which was descibed in the leaflet they gave me as a "rare side effect". The reasons I came off the injection were because I put on loads of weight (several nurses assured me it would come off when I switched to the implant) and the 50% increase in risk of osteoporosis if you stay on the injection for more than two years (which I had). But since doing more research I've found that lots of people have experienced weight gain on the implant which makes me feel so frustrated :banghead: I doubt if there will be a half decent contraceptive anytime soon (lets face it, we are battling against nature) but atleast the health care providers could be consistent and honest about whats available!! The most annoying thing is that while I'm bleeding I have no need for a contraceptive!!!!!! :shocking: