Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a general musing for the guys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(and girls if they want)

is it true that a bloke makes up his mind whether hes going to
ever fancy a girl in the first nine seconds he meets her?

apparently according to some womens magazine if he doesnt fancy her in the first nine seconds he never will.

so come on then guys what do you say?

Comments

• Options
    Well normally its true, but you can fancy someone whenever. Like I was mates with a guy for ages then I just felt an attraction towards him all of a sudden.
  • Options
    if its true then personally i think that's quite shallow, because it's just based on looks
  • Options
    No, I don't think its true. You can think someone is OK-looking, nowt special, and when you get to know them you'll realise that they're actually really hot.

What is true is that if you find someone ugly-looking you are much much much less likely to ever get to know them.

Looks are very important as to whether or not you fancy someone. You can love someone's character, but if you think they look like a genetically mutated gerbil, then you won't fancy them.

It's not shallow to judge on looks as to the suitability of a partner- it is human nature. The point is that everyone's idea of good looking is different.
  • Options
    I think it can work both ways and that it differs from person to person.

I know that I often determine whether I will like people very early on, but sometimes I start by loathing the person that later becomes somebody I really like.

But it's never bad to make a good first impression. ;)
  • Options
    well what i meant was to fancy someone properly you need to like both personality and looks
    would you fancy someone who was good looking but a complete twat?
  • Options
    Yeah, but the looks is what you see first so if you pick out those you like first by looks you can then proceed check out if the personality matches. A bit harder to do it the other way around. ;)

I wouldn't call it shallow, it's just the quickest way to measure up a person to determine if you want to get to know them better if you're on the lookout.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Yeah, but the looks is what you see first so if you pick out those you like first by looks you can then proceed check out if the personality matches. A bit harder to do it the other way around. ;)
    While it's not really traditional to meet people online, it does happen. Granted people can share pics and have webcam sessions, etc. But it's not quite like meeting them in person and checking them out. So in that sense, one could get to know the other before actually visualizing their appearance.
  • Options
    apparently according to some womens magazine...

Does that not answer your question?

I've read some womens' magazines in my time and most of them are pretty strange when it comes to describing men. In short, what you said earlier is bollocks.
  • Options

I've read some womens' magazines in my time and most of them are pretty strange when it comes to describing men. In short, what you said earlier is bollocks.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Lycander wrote:
    While it's not really traditional to meet people online, it does happen. Granted people can share pics and have webcam sessions, etc. But it's not quite like meeting them in person and checking them out. So in that sense, one could get to know the other before actually visualizing their appearance.

Oh my goodness, you talk like SG.
  • Options
    I beg your pardon? Who's SG?
  • Options
    I think thats bullshit. Ihave known some girls for years and not faniced them and then later one I have fancied them like mad!!! 9 second thing is bulshit or mega shallow I think.
  • Options
    I always thought it was people will get a mindset about you and its hard to change from that initial thought. The first impression, the first 9 seconds you meet somebody. Not just for men. Heh, the communications class did come in handy :p
  • Options
    I think in the first 9 seconds you can tell if you want to know more about the person with a mind that it may lead to something else. You probly need to actually talk to them first. The problem is that so much is based on looks in the first stage. Its gonna be different for everyone. On the subject of looks, from a male point of view the WORST types of girls are really pretty ones who know it, girls like that do go just for looks, however they are often revaled the minute they start talking. You can like someone in the first 9 seconds but its the following 200 seconds of small talk that really lets you know if you wanna be more than friends
  • Options

Too right.
    Lycander wrote:
    I beg your pardon? Who's SG?

SG is the board user 'Stargalaxy'
  • Options
    (and girls if they want)

apparently according to some womens magazine if he doesnt fancy her in the first nine seconds he never will.

Never believe what you read in magazines.

No, I have been friends with girls that I haven't fancied in the slightest, only to fall in love with them after a few months or even years.
    Just because I don't fancy them the first time I meet them doesn't mean I won't fancy them ever.
  • Options

:yes:

Magazines, womens magazines in particular, are just so wrong about so much it's untrue. It's a shame so many people believe them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    would you fancy someone who was good looking but a complete twat?

Are you joking? Of course people do! Why do you think there are so many "all men/women are bastards/bitches" threads on this site? Or so many god awful chick flicks about women who consistently go out with men who are dick heads?

There is a BIG difference between liking someone and fancying someone! Looks are a powerful factor - it doesn't make a person shallow for being attracted to someone they find good looking!
  • Options
    yes and no. I've mostly seen a nice girl and knew I liked her right away, but the biggest one was a girl I knew for about year and a half before someone started talkin about her to a guy who was out lookin for a girl that night clubbing and I felt a twist in me - then I knew it was a bit of jealousy and I've wanted her ever since.
  • Options
    I was just friends with a girl for 12 months before I fell head over heels in love with her. I didn't think she looked good and she seemed very different to me. Now I know she is so great I just don't care, I love her unfortunately though now she has a boyfriend.

Conclusion: Definitely wrong
  • Options
    (and girls if they want)

Yeah that's usually the case i'd say. Although not completely true - I once liked a girl i'd never paid much attention to after having a chat. Just sparked a bit of interest I suppose, but generally, it's a case of immediate attraction.