Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Police

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could you elaborate please?

Do I need to? It's fairly obvious, but here goes - comparing generalising the police with generalising other groups (by which I take it you mean race) is not comparable for a couple of reasons.
    (1) People choose to join the police
    (2) The police actually fulfill a social and political role in our society
    I'm still sure I'm right about the 3 people thing. I'll google some more when I have the time.

Root

Actually, its 2 people -
    Section 57 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Bill 2003 amended Section 16 of the Act to reduce the numbers of people necessary to form an assembly from twenty to two. This amendment was introduced after intensive lobbying by the police and the pharmaceutical industry for more powers to be available to deal with animal rights protests where less than twenty people were present. They finally got what they wanted, so activists can expect even more widespread use of Section 14 in the future.

More Here
    yes i have, but not for just for that reason. I mean i look at what an absolute crap job they do around here, and i think, well, its probably just cause they are underfunded. But im really starting to beleieve they are incapable, as many people say they are.
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    yes i have, but not for just for that reason. I mean i look at what an absolute crap job they do around here, and i think, well, its probably just cause they are underfunded. But im really starting to beleieve they are incapable, as many people say they are.

Well according to the Politeia think tank they actually are thick

Thick bullies with virtually unlimited powers is what many people recognise them as.

:eek2:
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do I need to? It's fairly obvious, but here goes - comparing generalising the police with generalising other groups (by which I take it you mean race) is not comparable for a couple of reasons.
    (1) People choose to join the police
    (2) The police actually fulfill a social and political role in our society

If it was obvious to me then i wouldn't have asked you to elaborate.

I didn't necessarily mean race. What about teachers for example, who also fill soical and political roles?
    Has anyone actually made any generalisations about teachers on here?
    The institution of the police force is basically bullying, violent, self-serving and above the law.

Of course not all the individuals are. But the whole ethos of the service appears to be about bullying people they don't like, either ex-cons or people of different sexualities and races.

The problem is that they are getting more and more power, and it is harder and harder for them to be brought to book. The 2003 CJA is far more terrifying that the 1994 version, and the Criminal Procedure Rules are something that Stalin would be proud of.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    and the Criminal Procedure Rules are something that Stalin would be proud of.

We aren't that bad yet. yet.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    We aren't that bad yet. yet.

You should go and read them sometime.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    You should go and read them sometime.

I don't see people being locked up for staring at Tony in the wrong way?
    The Conservatives are not dead? (Well, aside from election hopes.)

We are getting worse. But we are not as bad as it could be.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Has anyone actually made any generalisations about teachers on here?

Have you actually read my earlier posts?
    Yes. What was your point?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes. What was your point?

I want to avoid decending this thread into yet another curt exchange of non-views.

Ealier in the thread i was saying it seems acceptable for people to take such a grossly generalised view of the police force. It was put forward that they chose to be in the police force and that they serve both a social and political puropose. I just wondered whether it would be then fine to hold such generalised views on teachers for instance? They chose their profession and serve a social and politital end also.
    Two important points you should consider:

a) the police are in a specially unique position- one of great power and open to abuse. No racial or working group compares.

b) it's not much of a 'generalisation' when almost everyone who has ever been arrested reports mistreatement/abuse of power while at the hands of the police. It does happen. Regularly.
    I want to avoid decending this thread into yet another curt exchange of non-views.

Ealier in the thread i was saying it seems acceptable for people to take such a grossly generalised view of the police force. It was put forward that they chose to be in the police force and that they serve both a social and political puropose. I just wondered whether it would be then fine to hold such generalised views on teachers for instance? They chose their profession and serve a social and politital end also.

No, it is not correct to generalise about individual teachers, just as it is not correct to generalise about individual coppers. However, it is possible to generalise about their roles as a whole (on a macro level if you like), but teachers aren't generally known for getting people put in jail.
    today the police with their wodnerful sense of priorities were removing homeless people from euston station and then filling a form and giving it to them if they refused, with language like "well i say you move so you have to"

wonderful people and priorities, felt like hitting them the homeless people weren't hassling anyone or doing anything wrong other than possibly scaring wealthy people, no wait thats a crime isnt it
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I don't see people being locked up for staring at Tony in the wrong way?

No, but a girl was arrested for wearing a t-shirt that said b******s to blair. A gentleman was arrested under terrorism charges for heckling Jack Straw. I read an interview with a solicitor, where he stated that possession of the book called "scouting for boys" is sufficient grounds to be arrested and charged for terrorism.

We're about to have a law that makes it an offence to say good things about terrorism. It's a fact that the violence of the IRA and it's predecessors has brought about the 26 counties being free. To say that after the new law comes in will be a terrorist offence. You can bet they won't lock people up for praising the French resistance during the war, yet both groups used violence to resist invaders.

The average rank and file police officer is in no way the problem. Some of the posts here seem to blur the lines between laws enacted by parliment, and the police officers who are required to enforce said laws.

It turns out that the original poster was breaking the law. I stand by my original statement, that without hearing anything from the police officer involved, it does seem a silly application of the law, but we don't know the officers reasons behind his actions. To automatically assume he's a power tripper is absurd.

Root

Root