Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Learning to Play Saxophone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Couldn't work out if this belonged in Entertainment or not so apolgies mods.

Basically I'm at uni and enjoy my course and everything but I would like to feel like I am learning more than first aid skills and my degree itself if that makes sense? I haven't really played any instrument properly since recorder days at primary school (descant and treble!) but thought that maybe learning a new instrument would give me a way to relax and keep my brain active with something other than my degree.

I quite fancy learning to play the Saxophone as it a bit unusual and I don't fancy playing something that anyone in my house does. However I have been told that I am too old to learn it now and won't ever be any good and that I won't be able to teach myself (I can't afford lessons) so second doubting whether I should invest in a Sax or not?

Points of view?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My friend (aged 17) bought a sax a few months ago as she felt the sudden urge to learn an instrument. Before this, she couldn't play anything. I say go for it. You aren't too old to learn an instrument. As long as you are willing to stick at it.
    SAXAMAPHONE SAXAMAPHONE
    Go for it :thumb:

You're never too old to learn a new skill and whoever said you were is a silly billy.

ps Get lessons before buying a Sax ;)
    Kentish wrote:
    Go for it :thumb:

You're never too old to learn a new skill and whoever said you were is a silly billy.

ps Get lessons before buying a Sax ;)

agree - u may not like it after all once you have tried it, and they are bloody expensive. a couple of lessons may help you figure out whether it would be a good investment or a waste of money.
    tis up to you if you want to teach yourself, tho you may find it difficult as you don't have experience with a similar instrument.

i'd say get yourself a few basic lessons so that you know how to shape your mouth and the basic notes, and you'll do fine :)

i'm currently teaching myself, but i played the flute and clarinet before hand so i had a rough idea of what i was doing
    You're never too old to learn anything as long as you put your mind to it.

I'd see if you can pick a 2nd hand sax up cheaply to start with though before going out and buying a new un. As for teaching yourself, as long as you've got the willpower and invest in some good books I think you'll be ok.
    You could always see if there are any music students willing to teach you for a lower fee than normal lessons would cost.. My friend is a classical saxophonist (if that's the right word!), now studying at Guildhall, but in her gap year, she taught a selection of random students from our old college. Best bet is probably finding someone who doesn't want to be a teacher - if they do, they're probably already teaching at a high price, but if they don't want to teach (like my friend doesn't - she wants to join a/the national orchestra) they'll probably do it for less, only for something else to stick on their CVs.
    Your never to old to learn, although they do say you reach your peak in your late teens, if your not planning on becoming a world famous sax player its not a worry!

Besides, i learnt singing when I turned 18 and then went to uni to study it.

If you have music students at your uni, talk to one of them about good books, cheap lessons, and maybe borrowing a sax for a bit, a lot of music students have more than one of their instruments!