Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sexism & Drug Use

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This post probably won't be popular in some quarters. I don't have a misogynistic bone in my body but when it comes to drug use I'm a total sexist.

There's something about females using drugs that is really off-putting for me. I know for a fact I could never have a relationship with a drug using female, even if she was just a cannabis smoker. I do have female friends who use drugs but I don't tend to crave their company as much as my 'clean' female friends. Seeing girls wasted on drugs just really gets at me, and I don't tend to have much time for them.

With fellas though, I couldn't give a fuck. Most of my male mates use one substance or another, with varied degrees of use, and some mates are clean, but I don't look at any of them any differently really. It's only with girls. The sight of a girl smoking a joint or clean out of it on pills just repulses me. I know it's totally irrational but I'm trying to rationalise it somehow, psychologist that I am.

Do any other males share these views? If so, can you explain it? Or perhaps there are females who are repulsed by drug use in males?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can understand this, tbh how attractive do you think you look when you're wasted? :D

Maybe its not the fact that you dont 'like' female drug users or think that they shouldnt be able to do it, more that you dont find them as attractive or appealing when they are in a different state? I'd infer its a common one...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Actually, I know a girl who is a drug user and rather cool. She really is quite win, a perfect person to have aobut whilst high.

And there are other girls in the regular smoking parties... oh well. Down to person preference I suppose.
    Yes, I thought it may be something to do with attraction and a wasted female is unattractive. But it's beyond a lack of attraction. I actually have an irrational dislike for female drug users, more frequently in the case of girls who are rubbered on some class A or another. I can usually let cannabis smoking slide without much alteration in my perceptions but as I said, I doubt I could ever have a close friendship or relationship with a female stoner.
    addicted7 wrote:
    This post probably won't be popular in some quarters. I don't have a misogynistic bone in my body but when it comes to drug use I'm a total sexist.

There's something about females using drugs that is really off-putting for me. I know for a fact I could never have a relationship with a drug using female, even if she was just a cannabis smoker. I do have female friends who use drugs but I don't tend to crave their company as much as my 'clean' female friends. Seeing girls wasted on drugs just really gets at me, and I don't tend to have much time for them.

With fellas though, I couldn't give a fuck. Most of my male mates use one substance or another, with varied degrees of use, and some mates are clean, but I don't look at any of them any differently really. It's only with girls. The sight of a girl smoking a joint or clean out of it on pills just repulses me. I know it's totally irrational but I'm trying to rationalise it somehow, psychologist that I am.

Do any other males share these views? If so, can you explain it? Or perhaps there are females who are repulsed by drug use in males?

I'm the total opposite, most girls i associate with use drugs and that's how i like it.

It's probably got something to do with how you view drugs - i.e. in a positive or negative light. If you view them negatively (you consider them, perhaps unconsciously, as escapism or reflective of weakness) then that could i suppose translate into feelings of disgust.
    It's not a positive or negative attitude to drugs generally though, it's an attitude to females using drugs specifically. If I only viewed drugs in a negative light (escapism, weakness etc) then I would apply this view to all drug users, myself included, but I don't. It's generally just female drug use that gets to me and evokes these negative thoughts.
    ive only ever been round some middle aged bikers high on 'wacky baccy' before, but i don't really see what's attractive about being off your face at all, no matter what gender
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I prefer girls to have first hand experience of drugs.
    Weekender Offender 
    Ballerina wrote:
    ive only ever been round some middle aged bikers high on 'wacky baccy' before, but i don't really see what's attractive about being off your face at all, no matter what gender

Well, middle-aged bikers aren't usually the most attractive people you'll meet, sober or not.
    Down to personal preference I suppose.

:yes:
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well, middle-aged bikers aren't usually the most attractive people you'll meet, sober or not.
    i wasn't there willingly, it was at some bonfire of my dads mates, so of course this mate had all his weird biker mates round
    due to my usage of drugs a lot of girls that i know take drugs, and i would tend to associate with them

obviously a girl that takes drugs will find it a lot easier to accept the fact that you do too .. lots of people look down on drugs users, girls included

i dont think taking drugs makes a girl any less attractive, one thing i dont like though is how vunerable it would leave many girls, lotsa bad people about!
    I don't really care either way...I know a lot of girls that toke the bit out and I've had many smoking sessions with them...though there definately is something off putting about a girl clean off her face on E's, just doesn't seem right. As for relationships, I wouldn't care as long as she wasn't caining it too much like.
    it's best to avoid people who are on E if you ain't...i don't mind girls, but other guys trying to hug you, "man, you're fucking brilliant"...a bit creepy :sour: .
    Spliffie wrote:
    it's best to avoid people who are on E if you ain't...i don't mind girls, but other guys trying to hug you, "man, you're fucking brilliant"...a bit creepy :sour: .

Ha I know, though when I first started taking them I'm pretty sure I've done stuff like that aswell...you cringe now looking back.
    I'm a female, and smoke weed regular- weed's my drug of choice (over alcohol). Just started uni, I can tell people look down on me for it, think i'm going to go in their rooms and rob them out for my next fix or soemthing. But thats guys an girls in general who haven't experienced or know very little about it. I'm sure guys will be turned off by it who don't smoke weed, but if I guy doesn't do it or hasn't tried it then I won't tend to go for them either.

But then again, I look down on pisshead guys, complete turn off for me so I can't really complain. Each to their own and all that.

Out of interest, do you feel the same way about girls getting pissed? Or is it just the whole girls getting wasted thing?
    I use drugs. No blokes ever said to me it'd put him off.

In fact most blokes have more of a problem with my smoking, than me taking drugs.
    Reloaded wrote:
    Out of interest, do you feel the same way about girls getting pissed? Or is it just the whole girls getting wasted thing?

Nah, I don't have a problem with girls getting pissed, though obviously when they get really drunk it can put you a bit on edge about their safety etc. I wouldn't really mind a girl taking a toke or anything either, it's just mainly girls who take harder drugs.

For example, I was at a party last night and these girls called round that I knew vaguely. They were quite openly coked off their faces and I wasn't surprised, but I just didn't have any time for them at all. I would still be civil and not ignore them, but I wouldn't actively seek their company or conversation, far from it. It's just such a major turn-off.
    Anyone coked up is a turn off, in fact anyone whose had a lot of stimulants of any sort is wierd company.

As for women using drugs, I've never really made a sex discrimination, its an adults choice and its not me to say whether or not they should.

In my experience women dont tend to go in for the 'my dick is bigger than your's because I can take more drugs' thing and have a better time of it.
    As long as their not on smack or crack then it doesn't bother me whether they use drugs or not.

In fact if anything i'm kind of the opposite ... got a bit of a thing for the out-of-control wild child types