Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to wear to a wedding?!?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok Am i the only person in the world who finds other peopels weddings THE most difficulat occasion to dress for EVER!?!

In three weeks im going to my boyfriends cousins wedding and need something nice to wear but have no clue, I'll be meeting all his extended family for the first time and need to feel good in what im wearing on ill be paranoid all day, its gonna be intimidating as it is, clothes should be the last of my worries!

So, what does a 21 year old female wear to a wedding in november? I thought a pretty dress ut cant find any that dont make me look a)slutty (ie - too much leg on show/too much chest/arms on show) b) like a 40 year old woman.
Its really hard top find "nice" clothes that dont make me look like im wearing my mums clothese.

So, please PLEASE could people give me examples/pictures/descriptions of things theyve worn/would wear or have seen in shops recently as I only have two more weekend to find something!

Thank you soooo much!

(ps i live in london and can get to oxford street easily so most highstreet shops are accessable) :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i wore to a wedding recently a really nice brown top (capped neck, not revealing at all), brown shoes and a cream knee length skirt. i know in new look at the moment there are alot of nice side-tie skirts, especially a navy blue one with silver detail. that's look nice with a top+shoe match!!
    Am i allowed to wear black?
    I have blonde hair and i dont know why but i always think brunettes always looks much better in black then blondes...dark eyes and features ect.
    Also arent you meant to wear light and bright colours to a wedding? happy day et al?
    Dunno. Always wear a morning suit. It's easy!
    Dunno. Always wear a morning suit. It's easy!

Maybe because you are male :p
    Am i allowed to wear black?
    I have blonde hair and i dont know why but i always think brunettes always looks much better in black then blondes...dark eyes and features ect.
    Also arent you meant to wear light and bright colours to a wedding? happy day et al?
    In this day and age you can wear most colours, including black. But yes you are right, it is a happy occasion, so as a general rule try to stay away from black. I guess if you are really stuck you could opt for black trousers or skirt and a nice detailed top with nice shoes.

Thing is im really bad for advice as my mum is a dressmaker and if we are going on a wedding I usually get something made. I have never been to a shop to buy anything for occasions such as these.

Actually, if you can afford it its best to get something made. That way you can choose the fabric and have something that you really like.
    It really depends how much you want to spend and how comfortable you feel in dresses and skirts.

There's some really pretty flowered skirts which teamed with the right top and bag don't look grannyfied and can look quite cool really.

I always tend to look through www.freemans.com first as they have a variety of pretty dresses and skirts a lot of the time.
    My general rule when I don't want to look a slut is to wear trousers in all honesty....

I'm not saying dresses and skirts are slutty (far from it! You've never seen my wardrobe), but self confidence wise, I always feel less slutty in smart trousers, and a top.... I feel better showing slightly more chest that way as well, without feeling slutty.
    I think i'm quite similar to the above but then i'm never very comfortable flashing the flesh for some reason. My parents always tell me off for it and say i should be proud of what i have :rolleyes: (makes a change to telling your kid to cover up i suppose).

I think as long as you follow the rule never show your legs and your boobs at the same time then i don't think you'll end up looking a tart. There's a fine line when showing both and a lot of people cross it. E.g girls aloud wannabe's.