Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sleep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past 2 months, I have had a prob with getting off to sleep. Sometimes I can just lie there for 2 hours, even if I'm really tired. It's not even because I have stuff on my mind, I just think of total crap!! My doctor doesn't seem very concerned at all, but then he isn't suffering with it is he?!

Does anyone have any answers please :eek:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My fiancee used to have a terrible time sleeping, have you tried any of these?:

Sleeping pills (herbal or prescription).
    Cutting down on caffeine.
    Reading a book, untill you feel sleepy.
    Writing down your thoughts on a piece of paper.
    Drinking hot milky drinks.
    Taking a hot bath.
    Be sure your feet aren't cold (i can't sleep i my feet are cold).
    Excercise during the day.
    Don't eat after 6PM.
    Listen to a relaxation/ meditation CD whilst you are trying to sleep.

Or if one of those doesn't work, try all of them! It can't help! I actually found that Nicks problem was solved by drinking only decaff tea/coffee after 6 PM and startting a regular sleeping/waking routine.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    satehen wrote:
    Don't eat after 6PM.
    You need dinner though, and unless you go to sleep at, like, 8pm, earlier than 6 is too early to have it.
    If your doctor isn't concerned about you problem, don't you think you should see a different doctor then?

But to give him the benefit of the doubt, insomnia is quite common and there's a plethora of excuses as to why someone suffers from it (inside or outside influences). At the very least he could have offered you suggestions much like people have been doing here so far.
    What would you like your doctor to do about it?
    st johns wort might help relax you more
    For the past 2 months, I have had a prob with getting off to sleep.

try 2 years for me...even more

read a book, do some excercise and no TV before bed...best tip I can give you.

ETA Satehen: unless you go to bed at 9 pm the whole "don't eat after 6pm" theory isn't the most advisible or healthy thing to do..9 or 10pm is more realistic tbh and sorry to nitpick but drinking milky drinks before bedtime to help you sleep is a bit of a myth, yes there is a chemical in milk that helps you sleep but it takes 3 hours to hit so a warm glass of milk before going to bed won't do a lot :)
    hmm i find that i can have a really rough sleep from like 4am till 8.30/9am (bearing in mind that i usually get to bed about 4am)

and then the next 2 hours i will sleep really well, and be terribly relaxed when i wake up
    Hi, thanks for all of your suggestions.

It's not that I don't sleep all night...I do eventually drift off, it's just GETTING to sleep that it takes hours to do...even more of a prob as I have a baby and when she wakes in the night for a feed, I cant get to sleep afterwards for ages. I have huge circles under my eyes!!!