Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Proof of age cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does it make much diffrence which one you get? I turn 18 in december and want to get one but I've been looking it up and I'm getting seriously confused about it cos I've found 3 diffrent ones:

Portmangroup
Validateuk
Citizencard

Does anyone have any of these? Which do you think it best?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Surely a better form of ID is a passport or driving license (provisional or full). They are far more widely recognised.
    But if you are getting one, can't you just get the local one, or one that is offered by your school/college?
    Don't have a driving license and passport is
    a) too big to carry round really and
    b) not something I ever want to lose or get nicked.
    get a provisional license then. most places are moving towards only accepting licenses and passports as id now anyway.
    The validateuk one is the one I've seen the most of, if that helps?
    I've got a Citizen Card and I've been fine using that
    provisional driving license would be your best bet, no one will ever turn you away with a driving license stating your 18+
    i had a validate card... but a lot of places now wont accept anything like that now so if i were you id send off for a provisional license.
    I would go with the driving liscence, most places only accept them and pass-ports now.
    A provisional costs about £28 i think, but once you have it it is valid for 10 years so when you do start having driving lessons you can put it too good use. I only got mine because i was turning 18, and didn't start driving for a year and half after that.
    Thanks people.
    Am looking into the provisional drivers lisence thing now, does sound like the best thing to do.
    Lu_C wrote:
    Thanks people.
    Am looking into the provisional drivers lisence thing now, does sound like the best thing to do.

In my area (not the entire town, but around my home) a lot of places ignore all the ID cards, except for one shop which promotes CitizenCard so they NEED to accept it really :D

My friend who is older than me cannot get things using her ID card, they say they are too easy to fake as there are so many differnt types no one knows what they should and sholdnt be looking for. My provisional has yet to fail me, nd even if you dont want to learn to drive yet, they're useful, because you can take a moped test if your stuck for transport and that's a hell of alot quicker and easier than driving and cheaper than the bus! (loves hers.... mainly because its shiny :love:!)