Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nme Rock'n'Roll Riot!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This is my little review from the Nme Rock'n'roll riot tour...

I saw it last night it Brixton (27th) .. and I have to say it was the best fucking gig of my life so far! :D

We got there quite early (after trekking up and down the high street looking for a MC D's so my friend could use the toilet..) and ended up right at the front touching the barrier!

The first band on was The Cribs, promptly on stage at half 7.. I'm only familiar with their singles didn't really know what to expect from them but was slightly apprehensive since they have a reputation for violence on stage.. They played a pretty standard and uneventful set.. It was actually quite funny when at the end they tried to be all rock'n'roll and smash up their amps and attempted to crowd surf - only to be stopped by security.. :p

Second band on was Maximo park.. This band I have been in love with for the last few months! Having heard two of their singles, which i found impossible to get out of my head, i rushed out to buy the album which did not disappoint! Neither did they disappoint last night. They played a storming set with plenty of activity and excitement both on and off stage. We jumped and sung our hearts out until they closed the set with 'Going Missing', (my absolute favourite Maximo Park song) in which the lead singer decided to sing half a verse directly at my friend ! However, even that wasn't half as impressive as the keyboardist's dancing! Every time they started a song, he never started at the keyboard - he'd dance up to it with these jerky arm movements and mad facial expressions and then carry on dancing through the entire song - he seemed to have a different routine for every single one! By the end of the set he had an entire fan club on our side of the stage attempting to imitate his every move! :heart:

Then... after a short film and much anticipation - The Kaiser chiefs! :D

They appeared on stage looking rather dapper - Peanut with his traditional pork pie hat and two ties.. :D They played their way through the majority of the album each song evoking mass sing alongs, moshing, tennis ball throwing and general hysteria through out! Ricky even managed to provoke a massive ‘aww’ from the crowd when mid set he ushered a girl who had just been pulled from the crowd and danced, sang and hugged her all the way through ‘You can have it all’ before returning her to the audience. :) They encored with their contribution to the War child album, a cover of ‘Heard it through the Grapevine’, ‘What did I ever give you?’ and the riotous ‘Oh My God’ before leaving the stage to deafening cheers and applause. :)

Safe to say I left Brixton academy last night suitably impressed, sweaty and over excited :D

If anyone else has seen the tour this month it’d be nice to hear your opinions too! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sounded good! I've seen the Cribs and Kaiser Chiefs and they were quality...I'm desperate to see Maximo Park though!
    Yeah that sounded like a cool gig, glad you had fun!
    The Cribs, Kaiser Chiefs and Maximo? How very rock n roll...

I remember when the NME tour actually had some rock n roll on it like the Datsuns.
    Id like to put my objection on record of your use of the word "moshing" in relation to Kaiser Chiefs....and also "Rock", "N" and "Roll" seem to have been used incorectly. Please consult a dictionary :)

(Im sure u do in fact love these bands and it was indeed a great gig for you, but the english lanuguage is a mistress that must be obeyed)
    Id like to put my objection on record of your use of the word "moshing" in relation to Kaiser Chiefs....and also "Rock", "N" and "Roll" seem to have been used incorectly. Please consult a dictionary :)

(Im sure u do in fact love these bands and it was indeed a great gig for you, but the english lanuguage is a mistress that must be obeyed)

Thats Nme's use of Rock'n'Roll, not mine.. They named it The "Nme Rock'n'roll riot tour" not me.. :p

and as for moshing .. Thats exactly what we were doing.. But your objection is noted.. :p
    Cazzoo wrote:
    and as for moshing .. Thats exactly what we were doing.. But your objection is noted.. :p

Man you are hardcore. I'd love to see you at a Slayer or Megadeth gig.
    Man you are hardcore. I'd love to see you at a Slayer or Megadeth gig.

Haha - i have to admit i'd die at either..
    Both of those were the biggest and most violent mosh pits I've ever seen. Personally I think moshing is for losers but both were extreme. Slayer possibly slightly more so but I did see a proper fight in the Megadeth one.
    Arent the Kaiser Chiefs the band with the video where when the chorus hits, the entire crowd pull out pillows and proceed to have a big pillow fight ?

If im wrong, i hang my head in shame and have made no point at all....where as if i am in fact right, i demand you remove "moshing" from your post :P lol. Or at least tell me that your pillow was full of ball bearings and broken glass or something.....
    Arent the Kaiser Chiefs the band with the video where when the chorus hits, the entire crowd pull out pillows and proceed to have a big pillow fight ?

If im wrong, i hang my head in shame and have made no point at all....where as if i am in fact right, i demand you remove "moshing" from your post :P lol. Or at least tell me that your pillow was full of ball bearings and broken glass or something.....

No, there isn't a video where the whole crowd has a pillow fight.. :p

You may be thinking of the 'Every day I love you less and less video' where 'Ricky's pregnant girlfriend' pulls a pillow out from her stomach and hits him with it.. :p

Hang your head in shame! :yes:
    I was so sure of that one....they're in some kind of underground-looking club....with a stage at one end and the whole audience starts jumping around and hitting each other with pillows!

This has now become my mission for the day (Its a Sunday alright...theres not much to do).
    Cazzoo wrote:
    No, there isn't a video where the whole crowd has a pillow fight.. :p

Yes there is. I Predict a Riot. Then they went and re-released it with a different video I do believe.
    Both of those were the biggest and most violent mosh pits I've ever seen. Personally I think moshing is for losers but both were extreme. Slayer possibly slightly more so but I did see a proper fight in the Megadeth one.

moshing can be fun imo, it depends what people you get ... at those sorts of gigs there are probably gonna be the fuck ups that just get aggressive and arent even really there for the music they just think they look cool.

It;s strange ... the less melodic the music the more idiots u get in the crowd :P would love to see a dillinger gig. :shocking:
    muse- wrote:
    moshing can be fun imo

Yes, there's nothing I love more than to be barged into, jumped on and generally assaulted. All adds to the experience of seeing a good band. Sometimes, I think I go more for the fighting and token violence than the band.
    lol, never short of sarcasm are you :P

It just gives u a bit more freedom and is better than being wedged in the whole time..there are twats that can ruin it tho like i said.
    Moshing is boring- it's great when you're 14 and you think you're hard, but I would rather not spill my pint.

The NME stopped being any good when they started jizzing all over Beyonce "face like a sack of spanners" Knowles. Hip-Hop is objectively shit, and I resent being told otherwise.

I remember JJ72 and Amen on the same bill. That was, er, amusing.
    if ure standing there with a pint at a gig I really wouldn't say you were getting in to it much =/
    muse- wrote:
    if ure standing there with a pint at a gig I really wouldn't say you were getting in to it much =/

Oh and throwing yourself at other people and having people jump on you is getting into it? You need to go to a few more gigs my friend. And I don't mean nu-metal and emo.
    What?

Fuck thats the whole idea of a gig lol ...wtf do you do just stand at the back and tap ure feet??? ....at any half decent gig with a band u wouldnt be able to stand properly in the crowd with a pint even if u werent in a mosh pit ...if you're paying £30 to see a band you love or whatever u might aswell make the most of it :S Each to his own i guess...

Bet ure fresh from a few blink 182 gigs.
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh dear lordy, that must have been interesting :|. Amen played in Braintree once, though. I think they've gone down in the world.

My friend went to the NME thingy. I didn't even realise she was into that kinda stuff. Apparently it was really good. Ho hum.
    muse- wrote:
    What?

Fuck thats the whole idea of a gig lol

And the prize for stupidest post of the week goes to...
    No that's not the whole point of a gig. The whole point of a gig is to go and listen to some music. How can you be paying full attention to the music when you're being barged from all sides by teeny-boppers like you?
    muse- wrote:
    ...wtf do you do just stand at the back and tap ure feet???

Yes, I normally find myself at the back tapping my feet or at least at a safe distance from where berks like you make gigs crap.
    muse- wrote:
    ....at any half decent gig with a band u wouldnt be able to stand properly in the crowd with a pint even if u werent in a mosh pit ...if you're paying £30 to see a band you love or whatever u might aswell make the most of it :S Each to his own i guess...

Bet ure fresh from a few blink 182 gigs.

Yes, I pay £30 to go and listen to some music not get the crap kicked out of me. I can do that for free. It really is people like you who've made gigs really shit in the past few years. I'd love to see you in the Slayer pit. You'd last about 10 seconds and then you'd see what it's like.
    lol sigh ...

I wouldn't be at a slayer gig if i was paid and if i was somehow there no I wouldn't go in the pit. For bands like muse and a7x then the pit can be fun, as i said before more space and freedom etc.

If I was going to a gig to just listen I would just stick the CD on and save the cash. For me it's more about experiencing them playing live and enjoying it more ... I;m not one of the twats that fights in the pits if i go in its just a mess about, and normally in the crowd u just jump about etc

As I said everyone has his/her own preferences it would appear :wave:

PS im not into emo(at all) and nu metal much...cradle of filth/in flames/dimmu borgir is more my thing, though I like a lot.
    Kermit wrote:

ha! back in the day... 2001? That was the last time i was at an NME tour. Amen were so bad I had to go outside. Was really into JJ72 at the time too.
    muse- wrote:
    If I was going to a gig to just listen I would just stick the CD on and save the cash

Going to gigs to actually listen to bands is sort of the point isn't it? It's definitely the case when they're a small unsigned band doing the rounds in dive clubs. What if the band don't have a CD with added DVD bonus disc, doing an arena tour?

I quite like standing at the back away from the scenesters but love getting in the mix too...show these damn sixth formers a thing or too!
    ugh ....obviously you listen, thats why i used the word *just*.

I have been to enough unsigned bands gigs, you can get involved at those too.

and good for you ..you show those 6th formers.